Rockport.

Kitsune

Rockport.

Post by Kitsune »

Paddled the shorelines of Port Bay for 2 days with minimal success. The tides are down so the grass and upper flats are exposed. The reds seem to have moved on, although I did catch and see a few, nothing consistent for the amount I paddled.

The water clarity is good and the trout bite was on early in the morning. You have fight through the dinks though. A wade-fisherman I spoke with reported his 3 trout were bitten off his stringer earlier that morning in Port Bay. I have seen some big shadows and weird fins, so probably true. Nonetheless, the tides should be creeping back up and maybe the bite will shift for us lure chunkers.

This big red was tailing and smashed my topwater. I’m working on the makeshift camera holder and face hide app so I thought I’d give it a try. Horrible picture, but it shows the most important part.
Attachments
IMG_4502.jpeg
TexasJim

Re: Rockport.

Post by TexasJim »

kit: I fished Port Bay last week, and a kayaker guy I know told me he has seen and been followed by something long and dark, coming back to the launch. He didn't think it was a shark or dolphin, but it was at least four feet long. Doesn't seem a likely spot for tarpon, but what else could it be? Maybe someone can enlighten us. I was in Turtle Bayou at Talley Is. Wednesday, and a couple of dolphins were in about two feet of water, tearing up some kind of fish, or bait. TexasJim
Kitsune

Re: Rockport.

Post by Kitsune »

The wader I spoke with seemed sure it was a shark. He said he has caught them before near Swan Lake on heavy tackle in his boat. He mentioned it sliced halfway through trout the first time and that it came back and bit through his narrow stringer line the second time. We also spotted dolphins near by, but they kinda let you know they are there… especially in 2-3 feet of water. Tarpon are definitely a possibility along with gators. Sharks, gators, gar, dolphin, and big predatory fish all call it home. Something about St. Charles and Port Bay that still holds a wild side.