Old Town PDL or Hobie Mirage drive for Galveston West Bay

Thewheel82

Old Town PDL or Hobie Mirage drive for Galveston West Bay

Post by Thewheel82 »

Which drive system would you recommend and why for Galveston West Bay? I would be fishing the island side of the bay primarily, launching from Sea Isle area. I would be targeting red fish, trout, and flounder.

Looking at getting either the Old Town Sportsman PDL 120 or Hobie Outback.

I am brand new to Kayak fishing so not sure which drive system would work better in this area.

Thanks for any guidance!
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Old Town PDL or Hobie Mirage drive for Galveston West Bay

Post by Kayak Kid »

Both good yaks. I have experience in both. My PERSONAL PREFERENCE is paddle, simply because it is simpler, and somewhat more rugged than the Hobie system. Reversing a paddle system is superior to that of a paddle system.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

It comes down to personal preference. There are some studies that have “shown” the Hobie style pedal drive to be more efficient but for me it’s what works best for you. The propeller style drive system has instant reverse which comes in handy fishing structure like docks, bridge columns, etc but that drive system is also prone to picking up sea grass which can be a real pain especially when you get it shallower water. Hobie style has the ability to flutter kick in pretty shallow water but in my opinion that’s an overrated feature because unless you have legs of steel it’s hard to physically maintain that motion for very long but it can help in certain situations. I believe the Old Town and Native drive systems are the most rugged and will likely last longer than newer Hobie drive system without having to make repairs. If you go with Hobie make sure you get the 180 drive not having reverse can be a pain.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I have paddled and pedaled. I was a paddling purist with a T160 and swore I’d never become a pedaler. I now have a Hobie Outback and a Hobie Revo. The Mirage drive is a game changer as far as kayak fishing goes. I fish West Bay and Sea Isle a lot and absolutely love the Hobie.