Transporting on Pickup Question

catfishChris

Transporting on Pickup Question

Post by catfishChris »

I am not new to kayak fishing; I got my first boat about 17 years ago and I have always cartopped my boats. I starting to get a little old (ancient would be a better word) and the day is coming when I am not going to be able to wrestle the boat up on the car. I am thinking of getting a small pickup and I have a question about hauling a boat in one. the truck I am looking at has a 4 1/2 foot bed (the Ford Maverick). I plan to add a bed extender to it. My boat is 12' 5" Vibe Shearwater. My question is this. Given the length of the bed and the length of the boat, is it going to be legal to haul my boat in that vehicle? Do any of you have any experience hauling a yak in a short bed pickup like that?
Thanks for any insight.
Rob R

Re: Transporting on Pickup Question

Post by Rob R »

Yes, it's fine. I have the 2021 Ranger with a foot longer bed and my Compass sits in there. I use a TBone extender. Just make sure you trail a red flag at the end of the kayak. I've never had any problems whatsoever and I carry it that way all over N TX fishing freshwater and all the way to Galveston as well.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

8 ft outside the pickup bed can create a leverage problem. It seems awkward to me. However, I'll leave someone familiar with with hauling yaks in pickups to give you better advice than I can.

I seem to recall a gizmo that Yakima (I think) had on the market. It enabled a yak to be centered half over the cockpit roof, and half pointing downward beyond the back of the bed. Would be better distribution of yak, far less 'clumsy' in appearance, and much easier driving manipulation of truck.

When I became a bit too mature to car top my yaks, I purchased a kayak trailer. Doing so, took all of the muscle ache completely out of the equation.
catfishChris

Post by catfishChris »

That’s another option I am considering but it has its challenges too. I don’t have space to store a trailer at my house so I would have to rent a space. It still might be a better option than a pickup but I am exploring all my options.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I haul a 15' 2" kayak in my 5.5' (not including the tailgate down length) F150 Supercrew with a bed extender without issue. Here's a light rig I made to comply with an extending load in Texas: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=249700

Just be mindful when making turns and parking.
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

If you decide to go the trailer route, Northern Tool has 4x8 trailers that will fold in half and can be stored upright. I got the aluminum version on sale a few years ago. Don’t use the folding feature as I added some storage to the trailer. Several of the Malone storage components will fit on the 4x8. Very handy and I saved $$$ over buying a Malone trailer.

That being said, as soon as Son #1 finishes vet school I’m getting my truck back and will use it to transport. As neat and convenient as the trailer is, paying for storage rental gets old.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

catfishChris wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:09 pm My question is this. Given the length of the bed and the length of the boat, is it going to be legal to haul my boat in that vehicle? Do any of you have any experience hauling a yak in a short bed pickup like that?
Thanks for any insight.
Yes sir as long as you have a 12”x12” red flag attached to the back of the kayak for daytime or have the proper lighting for hours between dusk and dawn.

Neumie has a good post above on a light kit that he built. I have built and used a light kit similar to his. I use mine even during the day. I got pulled over once by a state trooper (for going 4 mph over the speed limit lol) and he thanked me for having the lights on the kayak said he had never seen that set up on a kayak before. Having this trailer light kit is additional insurance in my opinion.