Jones Lake (Brazoria) 1-Jul-2023

deptrai

Jones Lake (Brazoria) 1-Jul-2023

Post by deptrai »

It must have been a month since I was last on the water. Damn wind. I’ve been wanting to make it to Jones Lake for quite a while and finally made it today. It didn’t disappoint and was worth the 10-mile peddle, paddle & push-pole.
The first half of the day was pretty disappointing with only this guy to show for my efforts.
IMG_3384.jpg
I had cast out a Skelly Shrimp and brought this thing to the yak. How does that happen? What is it? I had another fish spit one up on a previous trip.

I went deep. The first “real” fish I landed was a 24” Red where the heart symbol is. I had lost two smaller fish earlier/deeper into the marsh and I was already on my way out.
IMG_3398.jpg
IMG_3386.jpg
Continuing on my way out, I made a cast near a drain and landed a 20” Red. Too close to keep so I let it grow some more.
IMG_3390.jpg
Continuing on my way out, I saw the back of a Redfish sticking out of the water. As I got closer, I realized it was a very tight school of about 5 or 6 fish. They were about 40’ off the bank and slowly making their way away from me. I peddled until I got close enough to where I thought I might spook them. Then it was push-poling the rest of the way against the wind. That didn’t work so well in my Outback. Next time I will carefully use the paddle. I stopped twice and made a cast, but both came up short. I finally got close enough to put a cast on them and one of them immediately took my lure. It wasn’t long and it came unbuttoned. I never saw the school again. Very frustrating as I stalked them for a good ¼ mile.

Cont'd...
deptrai

Re: Jones Lake (Brazoria) 1-Jul-2023

Post by deptrai »

Continuing on my way out, I saw some big Reds crashing the surface. Got close enough to make a cast in the area and got nailed by my new PB Red. What a fight! Had to use the reverse on my Mirage drive because it was pulling me into the bank.
IMG_3391.jpg
The fight didn’t spook the other fish in the area as I stayed there for a good 45 minutes watching huge Redfish crashing on crab that were floating on the surface. I tried a couple of different lures, but never got another bite. I even netted 2 crab and put them on a jighead, but couldn’t get bit. These were big fish and it was fun to just watch. I need to be prepared with a big hook to flyline a crab next time.

I trolled on the final leg of the return and ran into a small trout that came off at the yak. I sure was exhausted by the time I made it back to the ramp. Good exercise for my Bluefin trip out of San Diego next week.
IMG_3396.jpg
Dave