Churchill Bayou 6/9

Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Churchill Bayou 6/9

Post by Music Man »

Hit Churchill early Friday. Wind was very calm. Strong current. Bait was everywhere but not interested in anything I had. Hooked up a nice flounder but lost it. I did catch a rod with an Ambassador reel attached 8) Not sure if the reel is salvageable.

No one I came across was catching much. Leaving I looked at the beach side. Never seen the water around Freeport that blue. Had to get home or I would have went past the surf.

Hopeful everyone is having more luck than I am :mrgreen:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Churchill Bayou 6/9

Post by Ron Mc »

No time on the water is wasted - thanks for posting - we just need to get you into a cheap waterproof sport camera.
Flounder have really tough mouths - we all have stories of the monsters that crawled away and we just couldn't get a set.

If you want a drive-by Ambassadeur, here's the last custom off my bench.
Image Image
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

I have two GoPros, just don’t always take them out. Need to make myself gear them up. I miss a lot of pretty scenery if not hookups.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I went out Saturday and experienced much of the same. I hit a few different places in Christmas Bay, including Churchill Bayou.
Xmas 1.jpg
Caught three fish and lost two others. One 18” Red, one of those saltwater catfish things and another fish I’m not sure of the species…a sand trout or croaker, I’m guessing.
Xmas 2.jpg
At times, the water appeared to be boiling with all the bait jumping. There were these ~10” long baitfish, which I believe were mullet. There were also schools of 2” baitfish jumping around. The little guys were being hammered by the small white diving birds.
I also saw another large animal in Churchill Bayou. Not sure what it was. About 3.5’ - 4’ long and a pale white/pink color. My first thought was alligator, because I saw one not far from there a little while back. My second thought was a Manatee, because it looked like a small Manatee. I don’t think those exist in TX. Third thought was a dolphin, but I never saw it surface. It was about a foot below the surface when I first saw it. Final thought was a sea lion, but I don’t think I’ve seen one of those in the year I’ve been fishing in TX.

Good news is that my replaced (down) rudder cable worked flawlessly. I feel good about next month’s trip to Corpus Christi.

Dave