*****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, AUG 16th, WEDNESDAY, 2023 (((((NEW UPDATES)))))*****

savoltage

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 15th, SATURDAY, 2023 (((((UPDATES)))))*****

Post by savoltage »

Fingers Crossed. First time for BTB for me and been trying to make this for years. Lots of good advice in the above posts. Thanks.
John Hall

Post by John Hall »

Yeah, it’s not looking good for this Saturday as I see it from down here. We have gone out a few times when it was supposed to be around 2’ and 2-3’ and it got a little too sporty. Wondering if they meant 2 meters and on not 2 feet. The wave frequency is also really really quick/short.

On a good note water clarity offshore has been amazingly clear and we are finding juvenile amberjacks at the nearshore rigs. Also a lot of blue runners up against the rig legs that will hit a shrimp lure on jig heads. We hooked into what we thought was a king but it either hit off or the tax man paid us a visit. LOTS of dolphin that are very comfortable being near us and I am pretty sure they nabbed some stuff we hooked into as well
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

We are monitoring too. I like the clear water and fish report, that's great. If we can just make it through the surf alright, then the extra 8mph winds is actually better for us with AI's. We'll probably meeting up with Greg at marker 80ish for the Mayan Princess rigs...heading down Friday afternoon/evening from Round Rock.

@John Hall, can you provide any actual condition up to Friday morning for us here? Thank you.

-Roy
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Gentlemen, as of now the surf is 3 - 4 ft with swells averaging at 4.4 ft every 6 secs. Also, winds are averaging at 18 mph with gusts as high as 26 mph. Anyone in a kayak will not have an enjoyable time (assuming you make it through the surf). Islands can make this but once again, not fun. I've been in worse and speaking from experience, not safe or fun at all. I hope the weatherman is wrong so that you guys can enjoy your time out there. I'm not making a decision yet but merely stating the current conditions.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Yakety_Yak wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:47 pm Gentlemen, as of now the surf is 3 - 4 ft with swells averaging at 4.4 ft every 6 secs. Also, winds are averaging at 18 mph with gusts as high as 26 mph. Anyone in a kayak will not have an enjoyable time (assuming you make it through the surf). Islands can make this but once again, not fun. I've been in worse and speaking from experience, not safe or fun at all. I hope the weatherman is wrong so that you guys can enjoy your time out there. I'm not making a decision yet but merely stating the current conditions.
Yes sir and I completely understand. My rational? Due to distance and schedule constraints, I'd rather roll the dice, wake up Sat. morning and actually see it calm down to 3.5/6 and actually have up to 20mph (which is perfect for Islands) OR wake up and just wave the white flag and do some inshore or whatever. It's sort of now or never for my son and I in our situation.
John Hall

Post by John Hall »

niswanger wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:08 am We are monitoring too. I like the clear water and fish report, that's great. If we can just make it through the surf alright, then the extra 8mph winds is actually better for us with AI's. We'll probably meeting up with Greg at marker 80ish for the Mayan Princess rigs...heading down Friday afternoon/evening from Round Rock.

@John Hall, can you provide any actual condition up to Friday morning for us here? Thank you.

-Roy
Roy text me at (210) 865-5741 and remind me please.
TexasDrew

Post by TexasDrew »

Not sure of the reliability of this site but, per Surf Forecast.com the waves should be 3.5-4 feet high with 10 mph winds out of the SSE. Loading the Kayak now for the drive from Round Rock. I'll be doing some fishing out past the Port Aransas Jetty on Thurs and Fri.
Surf Forecast .png
https://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Po ... st/six_day
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

TexasDrew wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:08 pm Not sure of the reliability of this site but, per Surf Forecast.com the waves should be 3.5-4 feet high with 10 mph winds out of the SSE. Loading the Kayak now for the drive from Round Rock. I'll be doing some fishing out past the Port Aransas Jetty on Thurs and Fri.
Surf Forecast .png

Drew, if it's canceled where are you planning to launch from?
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Anyone have confirmed shore current direction based on tides? Reason I ask is that I normally stall before the first wave break and just sit there to get an idea which way I'm drifting. Knowing this I then choke up on the upstream side so when I come in I drift is towards my land target (vehicle). So are the prevailing current directions based on incoming/outgoing tide?
TexasDrew

Post by TexasDrew »

niswanger wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:16 am
TexasDrew wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:08 pm Not sure of the reliability of this site but, per Surf Forecast.com the waves should be 3.5-4 feet high with 10 mph winds out of the SSE. Loading the Kayak now for the drive from Round Rock. I'll be doing some fishing out past the Port Aransas Jetty on Thurs and Fri.
Surf Forecast .png

Drew, if it's canceled where are you planning to launch from?
Beach Access Road 6 at Bob Hall Pier but that is only if my outing on Thurs and Fri have good seas. Thurs and/or Friday I'll park at Port Aransas Beach and kayak fish offshore near the Jetty area, per the forecast those should be rougher than Sat. If the offshore is too rough then I can always go into the channel and fish the wetlands area towards Redfish Bay. Let me know if you want to meet up.
Fox²

Post by Fox² »

I'm just a few minutes down the road, back in from work this morning.

Wind is up and conditions even on the bay don't look great.

My PA isn't set up for BTB, and I've only surf launched it once so far. However, I've gone out the jetties in worse, costs me little to show up to investigate conditions.
REC Studios

Post by REC Studios »

Ryan Corron (REC Studios)

I am ready to go on this trip.
I've got the gear and have been offshore a few times on my kayak.
Looking for fair weather.
Ryan Corron (REC Studios)
rcorron@gmail.com
281-220-7647
Thanks
Freeliner

Post by Freeliner »

FOX, just curious, what would your checklist look like for setting up a PA for BTB. I ask because I've never launched from the beach, and I'm still upgrading my PA.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I'm actually hopeful that this gets pushed out a bit due to weather. My body is still recovering from battling Bluefin last weekend.
50.jpeg
90a.PNG
Dave
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Nice Tuna Dave! Someday I'll catch one :)
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

niswanger wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:13 pm
Yakety_Yak wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:47 pm Gentlemen, as of now the surf is 3 - 4 ft with swells averaging at 4.4 ft every 6 secs. Also, winds are averaging at 18 mph with gusts as high as 26 mph. Anyone in a kayak will not have an enjoyable time (assuming you make it through the surf). Islands can make this but once again, not fun. I've been in worse and speaking from experience, not safe or fun at all. I hope the weatherman is wrong so that you guys can enjoy your time out there. I'm not making a decision yet but merely stating the current conditions.
I'd rather roll the dice, wake up Sat. morning and actually see it calm down to 3.5/6 and actually have up to 20mph (which is perfect for Islands)
A 3.5 swell on paper is 4 foot on the water. I don't see how you figure those are perfect conditions for any kayak. Islands can flip too. Be safe!
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I think the current weather pattern looks to be in place for a while. The dome of high pressure is forecast to get a little stronger into next week. Hopefully something changes. We're dealing with August like temps we should at least have August like weather lol.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

SWFinatic wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:05 am
niswanger wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:13 pm
I'd rather roll the dice, wake up Sat. morning and actually see it calm down to 3.5/6 and actually have up to 20mph (which is perfect for Islands)
A 3.5 swell on paper is 4 foot on the water. I don't see how you figure those are perfect conditions for any kayak. Islands can flip too. Be safe!

I've been in worse, but not by choice. I wasn't implying that it's okay for yaks to go out in this because it's not. Islands may be harder to flip but I agree, they can be flipped.

I was merely trying to say that there is no fun fishing in these kinds of conditions but more importantly, the safety factor is raised just by being in these conditions.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

I have zero intentions to flip my yak in the surf, regardless of type. I've taken a Revo 13, PA14, Outback, and an AI through the surf and it may come as a bit of a surprise but the AI is always the hardest esp. the longer you play in the surf. These vessels have some much more mass and water contact, you really need to be quick. Last year I was running two AIs such that one had an MD drive with spine guide pins with the guide channels in the hull and the other did not. Well I put my son in the yak with the guide pins slots but gave him the MD w/o the pins. Got him going through the surf then headed back to the beach for the AI I was taking (one w/o the guide pin slots). I got to the point, which is really the point just before jumping in the boat, only to find out my MD wouldn't fit (no I didn't pull out my pocket hacksaw to quickly cutoff the guide pins). So here I was with my 17yo son already off-shore in this situation. I decided to jump in anyway and quickly deploy my sail and honestly that was a much faster and efficient means of propulsion. I got through the surf quickly and met up with my son to do a drive exchange.

I'm fine with heading down to only have mother nature slap me in the face and keep us from going off-shore, it's an available window for us. Regardless how it goes, I'll provide an update.

-Roy
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I guess the point I am trying to make is that I don't want people to start thinking that it's okay to go out in not so great conditions. Can people make it out in a kayak or better yet a Island, sure. Is it a good decision to do so, not so much. Some will make it through the surf and even out in the rough swells. Many will try and turtle.

For those of you that are not experts, please don't try and go out in less than optimal conditions. Also, be sure that you go with a group. By doing this you will have a much more productive day and hopefully you will go home with some fish.
John Hall

Post by John Hall »

FWIW, mid week likely wont work for me, only weekends and in that Saturday being optimal. I get it though if no weekend dates look good and we have to go with mid-week.

I agree with postponing with current forecasted seas state for this weekend as we have seen this year 2 to 3 footers are more likely to be 3-5. The real rub is I have seen 3-4' forecasted on Thursday and it turn into around 2 foot by Saturday. An individual can shift plans quickly, much harder for a larger group to do so.
xmatador2000

Post by xmatador2000 »

Is this event still on this Saturday?
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

John Hall wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:50 am FWIW, mid week likely wont work for me, only weekends and in that Saturday being optimal. I get it though if no weekend dates look good and we have to go with mid-week.

I agree with postponing with current forecasted seas state for this weekend as we have seen this year 2 to 3 footers are more likely to be 3-5. The real rub is I have seen 3-4' forecasted on Thursday and it turn into around 2 foot by Saturday. An individual can shift plans quickly, much harder for a larger group to do so.
Now that July is here, we should start to see the ocean settling down some. July and August are the best months for low conditions.

xmatador2000 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:50 amIs this event still on this Saturday?
I have made the updates for this weekend. All updates are at the beginning of this thread at the very top. Feel free to call me if you have questions. 832-588-7091
TarponTime

Post by TarponTime »

I should be fine on my Fishpro. Wait, this is for yaks . Nevermind. :lol:
TarponTime

Post by TarponTime »

Actually , i am bringing my yak when this happens.