Old Town Topwater PDL 120 vs Bigwater 132 PDL

Bow-TechAggie

Old Town Topwater PDL 120 vs Bigwater 132 PDL

Post by Bow-TechAggie »

Im hoping to purchase one of the two above listed kayaks within the next 30 days. I have fished out of a Wilderness systems 14 (I believe) for the last 9 years. Time to upgrade.

Which one would be better suited for me?

Here are some of my specs:
6'3' 275 lbs (currently losing weight...trying to get down to 250)
Mostly freshwater fishing...Lakes, smaller rivers and ponds. Occasional trips to the coast. Would be only bay and marshes if I do venture to saltwater.
I don't see myself standing up to fish very much. Will use it to troll for whitebass during the spring.

I do realize that it is going to be personal preference. Just hoping for input from those who own one or the other. I don't think I will be able to actually test either one in water before purchase.
SWFinatic

Re: Old Town Topwater PDL 120 vs Bigwater 132 PDL

Post by SWFinatic »

Personally I would recommend the PDL 120 primarily because it is lighter. That Bigwater 132 PDL is a lot heavier and bigger which means you'll carry more gear to make it even more heavy. Years ago I found a crazy good deal on a Pro Angler 14 and bought it. Thought I had a heck of a kayak until I had to lug it up boat ramps and load and unload it from the truck. If you have a trailer for your kayak that would be the one thing that helps some. You still have to move it around though and it gets old after a while. And when the time comes to paddle it (it will happen) the 120 is easier to paddle.

Also I saw the ad below yesterday. This event has passed but if you're not too far from Corpus Christi you might give them a call and see what they have to demo.
Attachments
1te.jpg
1te.jpg (39.31 KiB) Viewed 5469 times