offshore gear question

motoyak

offshore gear question

Post by motoyak »

My BIL going offshore up to 10 miles for fish. He has a 5000 series spinning set up with 8' big game rod and #40 braid. Is that gonna be heavy enough?
SWFinatic

Re: offshore gear question

Post by SWFinatic »

I'm sure as long as he doesn't set the drag too tight and isn't shark fishing lol. Not going to find many big differences in fish size and species between 5 and 10 miles out
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

It is depending on the target species.
40# braid can take a little longer to bring the fish in if it is a big fish or strong fish.
8’ rod length is a little long for offshore unless he likes to cast top water lures. 7’ is the average length.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

thanks for replys, he says hes wanting snapper
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

He could stick with the 40 lb braid but I would add about 10 feet of 50-60 lb. fluorocarbon leader. If snapper reef you there's no strength that will hold up but being able to get them up fast is the main thing. Tax man loves snapper.

Also if he doesn't know when he is in federal waters (9 nautical miles out or more) he is now required to have a descending device on board and ready (as of July, 15, 2022). If it is the type of device that you hook up to a rod and reel I believe it has to be rigged at all times while in federal waters (fishing of course).
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Yes, I recommended going with #40 braid, a swivel, heavy mono or fluoro leader, 1-2oz weight and large circle hook then bait. Standard bottom drop rig. Good info on the mileage out requirements. He's going with a friend of a relative that has a boat (dunno if he has a capt license). I'll pass along everyones recommendations and maybe he'll get hooked up, :mrgreen: