MP report

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

MP report

Post by Prof. Salt »

The surf is in good shape, and launching was pretty simple. Water gets nice by the time you hit the first rig, and Spanish are around, along with a few kings and a LOT of spinners and black tips. Be careful, they have a taste for diving plugs and other plastic lures. On the bright side, five of the six sharks (all 5-6.5 ft) that I landed gave me an air show. Most kings were at the big rig, off to the south 50-200 yards from the structure. Most kings are eating size and just under 40 inches.

I finished with a limit of kings, six sharks, three Spanish landed and one spade that ate a hook as it dangled on an unattended rod while I fought a larger fish on the other rod. There were plenty of rain clouds around but the only one that developed thunder was already over the island and headed NW towards Port A when it started booming.

The sharks ate at least $50 worth of my Halco and Bombers... :(
Killerbee

Re: MP report

Post by Killerbee »

Heck yeah Prof. I was going to ease that way but I have a stomach bug. Glad you made it out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

Nice! Guess the kingys are running late this year…

Sounds like the tax men are out in full force. I’m planning to hit yakety yaks event this weekend if weather pans out!!

Thanks for keeping us motivated, 😂!
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Wow… that’s quite the trip. I really enjoy reading these trips… :clap:
MTStringerS

Post by MTStringerS »

Professor, you say the sharks love the diving plugs. Do you use any kind of wire leader or just mono with them? And if are able to get them to the kayak do you actually try to remove the hook or just cut and go like with a bait rig?
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

MTStringerS wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:50 am Professor, you say the sharks love the diving plugs. Do you use any kind of wire leader or just mono with them? And if are able to get them to the kayak do you actually try to remove the hook or just cut and go like with a bait rig?
I run wire on my plugs because I target kings, jacks and cobia but kings are the most common takers. Sharks normally leave plugs alone, but that day they were eating them. I bring the shark to the kayak and cut the wire as close as I can safely do so. If I targeted them, I’d carry some sort of tools to retrieve the lures, but since I don’t catch them often, I just cut the wire as close as possible. Smaller sharks can be safely handled but the 5+ footers post a real risk of being bitten.