Finally got offshore!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Finally got offshore!

Post by Prof. Salt »

I launched at Mayan Princess this morning, and did 11 miles around the first four rigs. I found jacks around the first rig but left them to search for kings. I should have stayed to play because kings were still not around. The water was 76-78 which may account for the kings staying a little farther offshore. The one Jack I landed was over 40” and fought really hard. It took leaning hard on him for 35 minutes to get the fish to the kayak. I found one group of snapper at the first rig but they were small. A huge single shark was harassing a bait ball near the first rig too. I could pick them out each time I circled past that corner of the rig, and there was always that one big shape off to the side of the bait ball.

Surf was running about 3ft but wasn’t too bad. I found a spot where the third bar surf wasn’t breaking as often, and launched through that window without any major trouble.
Coming back through the surf was more fun and much faster than going out. 😬
SWFinatic

Re: Finally got offshore!

Post by SWFinatic »

Thanks for the report. Heard they've been catching a few kings at the jetties. Thought for sure they would be around the rigs by now.
Endo

Post by Endo »

Thanks for posting! Glad you got to sneek out.

Dang jack's take so dang long to haul in. Flip sideways and you're dragging a doormat through the water column.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Prof. Salt wrote:I launched at Mayan Princess this morning, and did 11 miles around the first four rigs. I found jacks around the first rig but left them to search for kings. I should have stayed to play because kings were still not around. The water was 76-78 which may account for the kings staying a little farther offshore. The one Jack I landed was over 40” and fought really hard. It took leaning hard on him for 35 minutes to get the fish to the kayak. I found one group of snapper at the first rig but they were small. A huge single shark was harassing a bait ball near the first rig too. I could pick them out each time I circled past that corner of the rig, and there was always that one big shape off to the side of the bait ball.

Surf was running about 3ft but wasn’t too bad. I found a spot where the third bar surf wasn’t breaking as often, and launched through that window without any major trouble.
Coming back through the surf was more fun and much faster than going out. Image
Big Jack's are one of the hardest most determined fighters out there! I love them! Congrats Prof! Thanks for the write up!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Duster_BB

Post by Duster_BB »

Very cool. I bet that jack did fight hard. I hope to go offshore this summer in my new (to me) kayak.

Will be sticking to the bays the first few trips, but July/August I'll be looking at a good day to make a trip to a rig.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Duster_BB wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:15 pm Very cool. I bet that jack did fight hard. I hope to go offshore this summer in my new (to me) kayak.

Will be sticking to the bays the first few trips, but July/August I'll be looking at a good day to make a trip to a rig.
I'd also suggest a trip or 2 offshore without carrying any expensive fishing stuff you may lose if you logroll. Just to practice getting in and out in the surf. And for keeping your balance (and your confidence) in the rolling swells beyond the surf zone. It's a lot easier to focus on learning kayak control when you're not worried about losing hundreds of $$ of equipment.

Unless, of course, you want to limit your excursions to the few days a year when the surf is dead calm. Edit: But even that's a little risky because squalls can blow in so fast and change the conditions. Best to have practiced before hand.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Agreed, some time spent with an empty kayak in the surf will pay off nicely as you learn to handle the conditions. The surf zone is very different than the bay, but it just takes some time paddling there to figure it out and get more comfortable. Leash those rods too, so you don't lose them. We all get rolled in the surf once in a while.
savoltage

Post by savoltage »

Duster_BB wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:15 pm Very cool. I bet that jack did fight hard. I hope to go offshore this summer in my new (to me) kayak.

Im the same way. Been in the bays more times than I can count but looking forward to go BTB with the group going in June.