Kayak Recommendations

Duster_BB

Kayak Recommendations

Post by Duster_BB »

Been out of the kayak game for over a decade and looking for recommendations. I used to use Ocean Kayak Scrambers and Specs. I see those are discontinued now.
  • $500-$1,000 budget. Open to buying used.
  • For use in TX bays & surf
  • Single seater
  • Transported in bed of truck or on one of those bed extenders if those are inexpensive :D. Don't want to get a "full" trailer for it.
  • Probably will have 2 rods max with me. Sometimes just 1.
gwinyak

Re: Kayak Recommendations

Post by gwinyak »

If you just want something like the Scrambler, try the simple Perception Access. You would still have to add your own front hatch but at $559… not a bad deal. The perception pescador 12 is also sub $1000 and maybe a good fit.

https://paddleva.com/products/perceptio ... dcae&_ss=r

https://paddleva.com/products/perceptio ... dcae&_ss=r
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Hard to beat the Perception Pescador 12. Crescent makes some good kayaks as well.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

+1 on the Pescador 12, if you're not a really big guy. Tons of used ones from about $400. Needs a seat, maybe a rod holder, a good paddle and you're ready to fish. Sixty-one pounds, will fit in a pickup bed with a bed extender. I wouldn't take mine offshore, but I'm sure it could be done. TexasJim
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Agree with the above on the Pescador. To clarify Perception made a Pescador 12 and a Pescador 12 Pro (the Pro 12 is in one of the links above). The main difference between the 2 is the Pro has a framed seat.

Perception also made a Pescador 14 for a while and that is also a good choice especially if you're thinking about the surf and/or beyond. There are a few around on the used market (Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace).

There is also a Perception Search 15 with a rudder on here that is still listed as for sale.
Duster_BB

Post by Duster_BB »

Thanks for the recommendations. Of those mentioned here, which ones would be the most stable if I had to stand up?

Here are the one's I'm researching:
WIlderness Tarpon 140
Perception Pescador Pro 12 or 14 if I can find one
Perception Search 15
Jackson Cuda
Viking Profish
Ocean Kayak Trident
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Duster_BB wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:20 pm Thanks for the recommendations. Of those mentioned here, which ones would be the most stable if I had to stand up?

Here are the one's I'm researching:
WIlderness Tarpon 140
Perception Pescador Pro 12 or 14 if I can find one
Perception Search 15
Jackson Cuda
Viking Profish
Ocean Kayak Trident
Hard question to answer without knowing your build and your balance. I've found standing up in a kayak mostly overrated and not necessary. It is nice to stretch the legs once in a while but I get out of the kayak to do that. Standing up sight fishing for reds often results in spooking the fish. In reality many times it is harder to sneak up on a red standing up in a kayak vs sitting down. That said the Pescador 12 will have some good stability for standing. The Profish and the OK Trident would probably be the last ones I would try to stand up in. The Reload doesn't have a flat deck it is sloped to allow your legs to fully rest and makes for a comfortable ride but also makes it hard to stand.

If standing is a requirement you may consider a Wilderness Ride 135. Paddles well and has really good secondary stability. You should be able to stand in it with ease. There's was a Ride 135 on Craigslist (either on the San Antonio or Corpus CL page) for like $550 which is a good price.

If standing isn't a requirement and something you can get used to in a more narrow kayak than the top 2 should work fine. Note the Tarpon 120 & 140 is basically the same hull as the Pescador 12 and 14. Made at the same place. Honestly not sure about standing ability on the Search and Cuda 14.
Duster_BB

Post by Duster_BB »

Helpful. To your point, mostly to stretch out! Not a big issue. Can get on land sometimes to do that.
Duster_BB

Post by Duster_BB »

Thoughts on the Jackson Kraken 15.5' ? Might be able to get a good deal on one. Would like to hear any feedback on it.
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

Duster_BB wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:46 pm Been out of the kayak game for over a decade and looking for recommendations. I used to use Ocean Kayak Scrambers and Specs. I see those are discontinued now.
  • $500-$1,000 budget. Open to buying used.
  • For use in TX bays & surf
  • Single seater
  • Transported in bed of truck or on one of those bed extenders if those are inexpensive :D. Don't want to get a "full" trailer for it.
  • Probably will have 2 rods max with me. Sometimes just 1.
I see this is from a few weeks ago, but I have a Cuda 14 in the Classifieds section that fits your description.