Nighthawk Bay - Almost Spooled Twice

DHardy

Nighthawk Bay - Almost Spooled Twice

Post by DHardy »

In the Nighthawk Bay area, Tuesday, caught and released 4 slot reds and a few under sized. The bite was aggressive on the Zman Shrimp. The Reds looked lean and in need of a meal. About 50-60 yards away, I heard and saw mullet exploding out of the water. I quietly polled the Diablo over and after several casts, the rod doubled over and the drag was going. Couldn’t turn the fish and pulled the hook. I was using a custom inshore rod, Shimano Sustain 3000 and 15lb braid with 20 pound leader. I’ve caught many oversized Reds on this setup. Switched over to my baitcaster, custom medium rod, Daiwa Coastal SV and 40lb braid with 30lb leader. After several casts, my rod doubled over, fish kept going and I pulled the hook before being spooled. I offshore fish frequently and the bites felt fast like big Jacks. I’ve never seen or heard of a Jack in Nighthawk bay and have no idea if the lost fish were Jacks. But, it’s nice to be surprised and not know something.
15CE7018-8E61-497E-8C0C-550831CA6834.jpeg
3816B5B7-FEF8-408B-BF12-701D4A1BEE01.jpeg
mwatson71

Re: Nighthawk Bay - Almost Spooled Twice

Post by mwatson71 »

Where is Nighthawk Bay? I fish up and down the Texas coast and haven’t heard of it. I have, however, caught a few big jacks in West Bay and one in Christmas Bay. And a few offshore at Bob Hall Pier. If you think it was a jack, it probably was.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Not a lot of fish that could do that or that would besides a Jack Crevalle, Tarpon ( maybe) or shark ( less likely). I have seen both Jacks and Sharks in the bays but usually close to Gulf Passes. Nighthawk is not that far from Packery. I had a Jack circle my kayak in South Bay (AP) and one circle my legs while wading Aransas Bay.

Ona side note, I did catch a full grown surf jack crevalle on 12 pound test line with a low profile bait caster …. We were using topwaters fishing for trout in the first gut, when all I saw was an oval mouth and my topwater gone. He almost spoiled me but I had my legs to follow him and work it. That was fun, but I would rather the trout bite next time.

Thanks for the story!
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

A 32" red has the ability to make several runs. I've caught several between 32" & 36" in the bay in they all made multiple runs and took 10 minutes plus to land.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Don't write off or underestimate the mighty GASPAR GOO Image! Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk