Exploring new waters pays off April 9th

OldTownYakBoi

Exploring new waters pays off April 9th

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Woke up on Saturday morning and hadn't planned on fishing, but it was an absolute gorgeous morning. Winds were gently blowing from the South after several days of hard North winds. I had a cup of coffee and decided to get going, I loaded the Kayak @730 and headed out. I have really been wanting to explore some new areas and challenge myself, so on a whim I headed to the North side of West Bay. I have looked at this particular area several times on google earth, so I had a general idea of what I wanted to explore.

Upon arrival It was apparent that the hard north winds had blown the water out quite a bit, haven't seen it this low since the dead of winter.
IMG_7712.PNG
Seeing this I knew it would probably be feast or famine. With the extremely low water levels I knew I wouldn't be able to make it to the area I originally planned to. Instead I decided to go the opposite direction, deep into the marsh and follow the low water and visible signs I did have. Well if I was looking for a sign then what I came up on next was a bright flashing billboard demanding my attention. Deep in the marsh with no one else around I spotted a pod of birds working the shallows.
IMG_7704.PNG
The tide was so low that I hit a dead end in the marsh and it was absolutely stacked. There were birds, bait, and redfish all in this small pocket. Reds were ganged up and crushing bait up against the bank. These sights are what dreams are made of.
IMG_7707.PNG
I had my trusty Vudu shad tied on and got to work. It was easy fishing with plenty of targets all around. I was in about a foot of water, but water clarity was terrible. It really didn't make a difference bc the Reds were revealing themselves by their wake and crashing on the bank. 3 casts in and I was hooked up, without too much fuss I put my first red of the morning in the boat, a 27in stud.
IMG_7709.PNG
I immediately got back in there and popped a 25in 5 min or so later. I was having a blast and wanted to try a topwater, I tied on a spook junior but got no love; I quickly switched back to the shad and caught 2 more solid fish. Another 25 and another 27, all fat and healthy fish. All this happened within a 30 min window... And as quickly as it started, it ended. It was a glorious morning and another reminder of why we fish, I love this sport.
OldTownYakBoi

Re: Exploring new waters pays off April 9th

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

A few more pictures for TKF
IMG_7710.PNG
IMG_7711.PNG
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

This is why I love fishing blown out tides. Some of the best trips I've had have been in this scenario. Thanks for the pics!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Yup, fishing marshes when the tides have been blown out can be magical. Thanks for sharing.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Glad you found good water and nice fish last weekend.
Thanks for the report.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

SWFinatic wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:30 am This is why I love fishing blown out tides. Some of the best trips I've had have been in this scenario. Thanks for the pics!
It was certainly epic, sometimes you're the only idiot that finds them... I think I may have been that idiot
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Neumie wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:39 am Yup, fishing marshes when the tides have been blown out can be magical. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Neumie, magical is the perfect way to describe it
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:41 am Glad you found good water and nice fish last weekend.
Thanks for the report.

Me too, I really wasn't all that confident being in a brand-new area with no water; Sometimes you get lucky...
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:41 am Glad you found good water and nice fish last weekend.
Thanks for the report.
I feel like I got a little lucky on this trip, but you can't catch them on the couch. Makes me want to keep on exploring
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Kyle, the BIRDS ARE WORKING!

Everybody loves to find birds working because it usually means instant hook-ups as soon as your lure lands in the water. Nice work on those hefty slot Redfish.

You slayed, 'em, brother. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Thanks Don. It pays to be adventurous!
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

The mighty Redfish has spoiled us. Good times! :clap:
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Thanks! We are not worthy of their coolness.
chicken...

Post by chicken... »

Yak Boi,

I have a place like that I found in Trinity Bay years ago when I wanted to try a new place too. It pays to explore on Google Earth and then apply that knowledge to check that area out. And yes, since I got back into the plastic navy a couple months back I've been eager to try that spot again.

Well done sir.

Happy Fishin'
Chicken... :wink: