Port Aransas South Jetty

bones72

Port Aransas South Jetty

Post by bones72 »

Was down on the Jetty on the 3rd, trying out my new salt rig, a TFO Clouser 8wt matched with a Lamson Liquid 3.5 spooled up with an SA slime line. Caught a few of the smallest reds you've ever seen maybe 10 to 12 inches and a few jacks and one pompano. Thought pomps were usually a winter fishery so was very surprised. Jacks were very small too; largest was maybe in the 16 to 18 inch range but they were very fun despite their size only one pulled dragged but had to put all of them on the reel as opposed to just stripping 'em in. No photos as we were dodging rain most of the day. Started out tossing a #4 bead chain pink and white Redfish Crack.
Add description
Add description
Pink and white crack.jpg (17.38 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
Switched over to a #1/0 Shad Fly I tied up for the threadfin spawn on area lakes when I landed the second jack in hopes of maybe some larger fish .
Add description
Add description
shad fly.jpg (17.93 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
Last edited by bones72 on Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Port Aransas South Jetty

Post by Ron Mc »

From the jetty, I would be using a TS-250 sinking line and a shooting basket to get out past 100' and indifferent to wind.
No need for weighted flies.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

There wasn't a need for casting distance so much bait and fish activity from right on the rocks to about twenty yards out. We were only about 50 yards onto the jetty. My SA Sonar intermediate at 225 grains was putting me right along the bottom with those unweighted flies (I guess the large bead chain is somewhat weighted) and the line definitely cuts the wind. You're suggestion of an intermediate line last year has really helped me with my fishing along the coast and with sandies during their spawning runs.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

way cool - slime line is the next best thing for cutting wind and straight shot to the hook point.

We were bobbing off the S. Padre jetties on a November blackwater day. Could see the sand 25' down. Smack schools were making a sine wave through the full water column. Counting down the TS-250 for 15 seconds, then rod under arm, and two-handed chernobyl strip to make them strike.
The kings were a lot easier - they would sip a creeping 2" fly 6' below the boat.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

Smacks would be fun. I guess they have the possibility of being around the jetties starting next month with light winds and green water. Just don't know what to do with smacks or kings besides catch 'em. The wife usually prefers that I bring something home and mackerel seems like it would be really oily, kinda like the jacks I was getting. I did have a few of my 20lb pike leaders with me in case toothy critters were around.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Smacks hit like a freight train, and play out fairly quickly.
Kings sip tiny flies, mill around until you feel and strike them, then all hell breaks loose, and they run out over 100 yds.
At the end, either kings or jacks, your feet are on the gunwhale to lift and pump.

Doc fries his mackerel straight. My mom always soaked them in buttermilk overnight to swap oils.