Anyone buy a Shimano Vanford?

Tombo

Anyone buy a Shimano Vanford?

Post by Tombo »

I have a couple Stradics and was thinking about the next level up in the 1,000 size.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Anyone buy a Shimano Vanford?

Post by Ron Mc »

hi Tom,
What you gain with the Vanford is lighter-weight composite housing. It's actually the new version of the Stradic CI4+ with a new name.
Internally, it's exactly the same as Stradic, made on the same Malaysia line.
It has the same rotor as Vanquish, but there, the similarities end.
People on Bass Resource who have handled both reels give the nod to Stradic, and can't tell an inertia difference. Not that Stradic has big inertia - it has Shimano smooth.

Inertia difference between my Vanquish and same-small-size Stradic is shocking - and I expect you'll be able to tell a difference between Vanford and Stradic in 1000 size. You picked the size where Vanford should really shine.

If you don't yet have a post-'18-model Shimano, I recommend any of them - great improvements in spool stroke, gear size and teeth design, spindle stiffness, overqualified roller bearing clutch. The parts interchange with '18 Stella. They've picked materials with more cost-effective manufacturing.

The real step up in inshore size is Twin Power, since it also has a metal rotor. Like Vanquish and Stella, Twin Power is bench-made in Japan with parts-matching to further improve smoothness and reduce inertia. Of course all that metal adds weight.
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

I plan on getting one for my light trout rod this year and also considering the 1000 size. Huge fan of the latest Stradic, though I bought a bigger 5000 size for light offshore use. If this new ci4 is the same internals as the Stradic FL then it’s a no-brainer. I almost feel bad for the competitors at this price range. Will have to pay MSRP but I doubt I’ll have an inkling of buyers remorse.

I think it’ll be a good addition to the family. I usually bring three rods on the kayak - light spinner, medium-light caster, medium caster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Steve, you should love it. Tom, too.
Agree, Shimano hit it out of the park with '18 Stella, and did even better by copying Stella with less-expensive-to-make materials in '19 and '20 new model introductions.

My Stradics multiplied like rabbits. FL4000, FL5000, JDM C2000SHG (exactly the same reel as FL1000, but $60 cheaper from Asian Portal), JDM C1000S (lower-geared, smaller diameter spool for UL).