Best Spring Kayak Camping Trips

kev_theis

Best Spring Kayak Camping Trips

Post by kev_theis »

Hey everyone,

So I’m fairly new to the sport and have gone probably 10-15 times over the last year with little to no luck, but still couldn’t be more hooked haha. I’ve been slowly getting some friends of mine into it but some are still reluctant to give it a try. I’m going to try and plan a 3-5 day kayak camping trip with a group of anywhere between 5-10 friends for next spring to see if I can show some of them how awesome it can be. Mixed experiences but some will be complete beginners so I’m not looking for anything too intense.

We are in the San Antonio area but are open to going most anywhere in Texas for this trip so my question to y’all is, what are some of your recommendations for rivers that would be scenic, campable, and not too intense for beginners? Obviously good fishing would be ideal, but isn’t crucial as I want this trip to be more around the experience vs just good fishing.

Thanks!
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Best Spring Kayak Camping Trips

Post by Neumie »

The Lower Colorado from Austin (Loghorn Dam) through La Grange or even Columbus offers a lot of options for multi day floats. I've done Plum Park to LaGrange and it's a good one. The South Llano/Llano is another good float. Either one are easy floats for novice kayakers, though you may need to watch the CFS for the South Llano/Llano.