Flags on Kayaks

LoneDarkHuntress

Flags on Kayaks

Post by LoneDarkHuntress »

So I was wondering if anyone knows if there is regulations to flying flags other than safety ones on kayaks? I thought about putting a small flag underneath or above my safety one.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Flags on Kayaks

Post by Ron Mc »

The safety requirement on kayaks is PFD, sound device, one light (can be a flashlight) from sundown to sunrise.
Safety flag is not actually required, but if you want to fly one, I'm sure you can fly an ensign instead, or both.
There's nothing you can do to get out of a boat's way, so when I see a boat transaction coming, hold my paddle straight up, which is taller than any flag, and they seem to appreciate it.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneDarkHuntress

Post by LoneDarkHuntress »

I am only using a safety flag for my family's piece of mind, just thought I'd add my personal touch to it if possible lol

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

One way to add a personal touch is to add a flag or flags, replacing the original.
I have bought flags a couple of times from dwflags.com - that is for Devil Woman Flags

These simple triangle flags were $7 each if I recall correctly. There are a wide variety available.
Attachments
P5170152 (1).JPG
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

My flags are the American flag and a Texas knock off! Made my own light too! I bet it's the brightest on the water! I use a car lamp LED bulb and it lights up the night!
Like was said there is no requirement for a flag. Your own choosing!
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Per Ron's statement about holding up your paddle, I was fishing by Hog Island with Neumie and a couple of other kayakers, and we got fogged in . The first things visible thru the fog(other than one guy's cap with a flashing light), were yellow paddle blades. White blades were a little less visible, and carbon/grey blades couldn't be seen hardly at all. FYI
Highly visible flags are a smart thing on a kayak.
TexasJim
impulse

Post by impulse »

My solution, learned this in Thailand... I have these on all 4 sides of my paddle blades.

Multiple colors, contrast with everything. High intensity reflective tape for night time. Fluorescent colors really pop during low light and foggy conditions because they reflect UV.

I also put big patches of white reflective high intensity tape on the top and bottom of my kayaks, just in case someone's looking for my overturned butt in the dark.

Not recommended for duck hunting or stealth, but boats can see me from a mile away. Provided they're looking.
Attachments
Kayak Stickers.jpg
Kayak Stickers 2.jpg
Paddle Stickers.jpg