Lures for Port Aransas/South Corpus area in September

ben_beyer

Lures for Port Aransas/South Corpus area in September

Post by ben_beyer »

I'm headed to Port Aransas in a few weeks. What are the best lures to use for trout and reds this time of year?
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Lures for Port Aransas/South Corpus area in September

Post by texnomad »

For the last three years I have been using the storm wildeye shad in pearl with good results. 3 and 4 inch sizes seem best.
JMS

Post by JMS »

My favorite Softdine, & Spook JR....Match color to water clarity, although a Bone Zara Spook JR seems to work all day.

100 opinions on this subject, Gold weedless spoons, paddle tails, Popping court with gulp seem to work well for some.

Recently have had good luck with Trout support lure, link for those are here
https://troutsupport.com/product/trout-support-lure/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

all good choices.
Cocahoe minnow is still the old reliable. With a 1/4-oz jig head, you have to keep your rod tip high and keep it moving to stay out of the grass. I like red with white tail for low-angle sun, early morning and late afternoon. High sun, blend colors, though I still like the white tail. Like the wildeye shad, cocahoe is a really great lure for fishing slopes, because you can get way down.

The beauty of TSL grasswalker is you don't have to fish it with fast retrieve, rather a slow rod pump, and just keep up the slack with the reel. Really a blast to fish, and very effective.

A hoagie's shrimp tail under a Mansfield mauler will always work, and is the old reliable shrimp imitation.

Shiney Hiney is a simple to fish shrimp imitation and very effective. Last Oct, my buddy who had never caught fish in Texas for 30 years and not for lack of trying, caught his first slot limit reds on this lure, and both of his big fish were hooked when the lure was at rest. The instructions I gave him were click it a couple of times and make sure you let it rest long enough to sink - he caught fish trolling/ignoring the lure. This is a lure you can fish with no retrieve.

Pro-cure. Smear your plastic baits every half-dozen casts with some kind of stink poultice. It will make fish hang onto your lure longer. At the very least, it removes the smell of us from the plastic. Last fall fishing TSL grasswalker and squeezing procure into the hook slot, I landed specs that weren't even hooked, but were squeezing the lure in their gullet and didn't want to let go.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Decided to break this out as a separate post.
Any of you who remember and especially still have around some of Jack Stazo's flex jig heads, they really improve action and hook-up with both cocahoe minnows and hoagies. I know somebody bought the patent, and I would guess it's expired by now, but we need these back on the market.

In spite of all the marketing efforts out there, tackle that caught fish 20 years ago still catches fish today.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

texnomad wrote:For the last three years I have been using the storm wildeye shad in pearl with good results. 3 and 4 inch sizes seem best.
bro, tackledirect sells the 3" 3/8 oz Tsunami rigged swim shad in 6-packs, which is the same lure as wildeye shad, cheap postage.
Check out the black top and blue top - I like them better than wildeye shad for their nicer holographic markings.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Thanks I will check that out. I am due back to Texas and Rockport on Sunday after being gone since Feb. 25.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

If there's grass and hard shell, I am packing some TSL Grasswalker baits. I would also have some small topwaters and maybe some Softdines. But mostly Grasswalkers.