Fly Rods, 9' Vs. 10'

FishDFly

Fly Rods, 9' Vs. 10'

Post by FishDFly »

Recently I received a new catalog that was advertising a 10' TFO and the slant of the adverisement was that the 10' rod versus a 9' rod helped keep the fly out of the water on the back cast when fishing from kayaks, etc. I primarliy fish from a kayak and periodically the fly lands in the water on the back cast if I am not paying attention. Does the extra foot make a difference and what length rod do most fish with, 9 or 10 when fishing from kayaks?

Thanks

FDF
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Where the tip goes, the line will follow. While having a longer rod can help to eliminate the droops on the backcast, the same thing may be done by simply ending the backcast with the tip on the rise. Usually, it's the old "windshield wiper wave" casting technique that is at fault for the droops. I just cant see the need for a 10' rod, unless you're spey casting, or using a two-hander. Where a long rod really shines is in line control. At everything else, it is a disadvantage.

M-D
newowner

long rods

Post by newowner »

On the coast you will find that a 10 ft rod becomes a weather vane.
it points down wind.
You will do much better by saying a UP CAST instead of a backcast.
Now if you are in bushes that are 6 ft high and are trying to back cast over them the 10 ft rod would be some help.
ol Al

Post by Guest »

No, it will not help a bad castng tecnique. If you are hitting the water behind you, then you are going back way too much.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

See Bill's post on what he recommends for a beginners flyro

Post by JimD »

Off rigging page see letter to me from Bill on what a good started kit is.
kirbyt

10' rod

Post by kirbyt »

It is a matter of preference and skill. I have had all lengths and the new 10' 7 wt is fine in the kayak or wading. Think about it in terms of where the rod is in relation to the water surface. Float tubers and kayakers can benefit with a longer rod if you tend to drop your back cast. So an extra foot might be handy. But then again that's only about 1 foot more than the public preference of the 9 foot models. That's why you can find most saltwater weights in the 8'6" to 10' zone. Lighter weight rods will be found in a wider range and fit different water conditions.

It is your choice, cast them both and then your budget and activity be the final judges.

Tight Lines.
Barry's Dad

long rods

Post by Barry's Dad »

Have you ever had to reach the tip of the rod to get the leader knot out of of it . or untangle the leader from around the tip? This is why they make two piece rods.. I hate to have to put my reel in the water just to reach the tip. With a 2 pc. 9 ft rod I have to reach just over 4 ft with a 10 ft rod I have to streach to 5 ft. Yea go with the shorter for wading tubing and working out of a yak..
Ol Al