Yarborough pass

redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Yarborough pass

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

Anyone ever pull a trailer over yarborough pass? The trailer is light but I'm worried that with the tires riding in the ruts that the axle will drag low through the sand. Any tips or suggestions?
EdK

Re: Yarborough pass

Post by EdK »

Here it is 2 months ago. The beginning of the run you have to haul butt. Road gets pretty rough after the bend. deep ruts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbZqHqNlZSw

Just don't be this guy-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEWpTl_SgKY
texasflatrat

Post by texasflatrat »

There were two kayak trailers down there 2 weeks ago, so apparently those guys made it through. I do not have any personal experience to share with you though.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Its a catch 22 situation. The rain helps a lot with the soft sand, but on the other side the road turns to slick mud. At least you should have some one perched on top of the dunes to direct traffic. Once you get going, you can't stop for another vehicle from the other direction.
How is your rig set up? I have seen vehicles get stuck without trailers. Mine is a Jeep wrangler towing a light aluminum trailer and I had a hard time getting through.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

I recall an old video Jeremy Chavez had (probably still has) on his Casting Tales site; they towed a poling skiff down there. IIRC, it took some doing. The conditions there change constantly, so be prepared for anything.
Yak Daniels

Post by Yak Daniels »

Just a heads up, but the pass has been closed until further notice due to safety and resource preservation reasons.