Converting a boat trailer into a kayak trailer.

krfish

Converting a boat trailer into a kayak trailer.

Post by krfish »

I'm looking at a boat trailer that a buddy of mine has for sale. It was used to haul a 17' bass boat. I have two 13' kayaks that I want to haul on it. I'm tired of loading the yaks in the bed of my Tacoma every time I fish. If y'all have any pictures of yalls boat trailer conversions I'd love to see them. Any helpful tips are much appreciated as well. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cigarsnjeeps

Re: Converting a boat trailer into a kayak trailer.

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

This is a harbor freight trailer. One on bittom, up to two on top in current config.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
krfish

Post by krfish »

Cigarsnjeeps wrote:This is a harbor freight trailer. One on bittom, up to two on top in current config.

Man that's pretty slick. If you don't mind me asking what was the cost in getting your trailer set up?

Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

There's 60 pages of ideas in the "Rigging" forum. ,"Post your trailer" is the name of the thread.

Kirk B.
krfish

Post by krfish »

Kirk B. wrote:There's 60 pages of ideas in the "Rigging" forum. ,"Post your trailer" is the name of the thread.

Kirk B.
Thank you. I'll check it out

Cigarsnjeeps

Re: RE: Re: Converting a boat trailer into a kayak trailer.

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

krfish wrote:
Cigarsnjeeps wrote:This is a harbor freight trailer. One on bittom, up to two on top in current config.

Man that's pretty slick. If you don't mind me asking what was the cost in getting your trailer set up?

Mine was cheaper than usual since I had the trailer gifted to me and a buddy of mine welds.

Steel for the uprights was maybe 25-$30, steel for the extended tongue, maybe the same. I would say I have a couple hundred total in it.

HungryFish

Post by HungryFish »

krfish wrote:I'm looking at a boat trailer that a buddy of mine has for sale. It was used to haul a 17' bass boat. I have two 13' kayaks that I want to haul on it. I'm tired of loading the yaks in the bed of my Tacoma every time I fish. If y'all have any pictures of yalls boat trailer conversions I'd love to see them. Any helpful tips are much appreciated as well. Thanks

I turned this boat trailer into a kayak trailer that I can also use everything else. The rear rack is removable so I can haul just about anything in this trailer ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vstrom650

Post by vstrom650 »

I did pretty much the same as HungryFish. Took an old boat trailer I bought for $100 and stripped it down to the frame. Put some treated lumber cross-members to the galvanized frame, and then decked it with 2x8x12 treated lumber. I built wooden sides rather than metal, didn't have a welder handy. Tool box on front. I cut the tongue down some as I didn't need it that long. My PA's hang over the back slightly but no real problem. When I'm not kayaking, it makes a real handy (if somewhat heavy) utility trailer.

I also added a removable overhead rack. During camping trips, the kayaks go on the rack and the camping gear go on bottom. When fishing only, the kayaks just go on bottom as it's easier to load.

Plus being a former boat trailer, I can back it into the water some and just push the kayaks straight out the back. Gotta pay the boat ramp fee, but I can launch in minutes.
krfish

Post by krfish »

Thanks for the info fellas