How Come Some People Don't Like Reds?

TimmyT140

How Come Some People Don't Like Reds?

Post by TimmyT140 »

I hear a lot of people talking them down. I don't get it, I love 'em! They fight way better than specks or flounder, they're way meatier than the average speck, I don't even mess with a flounder unless it's pretty big.
I think they're pretty good eating, myself. I don't much keep a black drum anymore, meat's a little too grainy.
Is it because they're more work to clean than a speck? I guess specks are probably better eating than a red, I don't even much care for flounder anymore.
What's not to like about this?

Last edited by TimmyT140 on Wed May 03, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: How Come People Don't Like Reds?

Post by texnomad »

I like reds very much. My preference is Salmon then Crappie then Reds. The distance between the preferences is very short though.
Mullet Key

Post by Mullet Key »

Thumbs up on the Galveston Reeboks! Keeps your feet cool, but tough to swim with.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Reds are great. Great fighters. Great to stalk. Stalking them is more like hunting than fishing. A good day stalking reds is as good as it gets, for me anyways. If it weren't for redfish, I don't know if I would be so interested in fishing.

Great table fare, too. Baked, grilled, tacos, fried, half shell. We all have our favorite fish. Redfish are mine. If speckled trout are yours that's cool, too. Flounder, specks, drum, sheepshead, lots of fish to like. For me, Redfish are numero uno, trout and flounder duke it out for second.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

Mullet Key wrote:Thumbs up on the Galveston Reeboks! Keeps your feet cool, but tough to swim with.
I don't need to worry too much about swimming where I've been fishing lately. Probably get stuck in the mud if I fall out. :mrgreen:

I saw my first crawler today, he had half his body out of the water.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

I've been doing pretty good in my new spot, had 9 hookups, today.

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

No flies on reds, but some older guys like me grew up fishing the bays when reds were pretty far and few between, so we grew up targeting trout and flounder because they were more plentiful. Doesn't mean we didn't rejoice every time we caught a red, just that I probably caught 20 trout and flounder for every red I caught - except for when we were fishing the jetties or the beachfront during the spawn.

I will eat any one of the three, but I prefer the taste of trout over reds, especially for fried fish. But the taste of flounder, especially stuffed and baked whole, but also if filleted & fried, IMO, beats the heck out of both of the others.

I disagree that a red fights better than a trout. Yes they pull harder and will test a drag once they get into the upper slot range, but when I think back on the toughest, dirtiest fights I've had with fish, most were big trout. I judge a fish's fight on how many I've lost after setting the hook. Comparing the average fight of a 6 lb trout to a 6 lb red, I've found that, while reds can pull like a freight train and always have an extra run or two in them at the net, a 6+ lb trout is a dirtier fighter by far. They cut and run, then turn and try to swim through your legs. They jump & thrash on the surface, throwing baits far more often than reds. Give them one inch of slack, even after a good hook-set, and a trout can shake a lure out of its mouth in a split second.

But that just me, an old trout hound :D
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Old trout hound here too yaklash. Been fishing for trout nearly 50 yrs. I agree that a big trout is a much more dirtier fighter. They will do anything to throw the lure. I've lost a many with the coming out the water and dancing on top the water. I get mad when I catch reds honestly. Always been a die hard trout guy and will always be. My wife even told me that if she dressed like a trout I'd pay more attention to her. I asked her if they had a costume like that. That was the wrong response.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

How do you post pics on here?
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

Absolutely love redfish broiled or on the half shell (over some Mesquite wood, please). Need to try some fresh caught redfish in Ceviche and homemade cioppino.

Now I'm really hungry!
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

WestEndTroutAssassin wrote:How do you post pics on here?
I put my pics on Flickr, then I click the share button on the pic, and paste into the post the part that reads [img].......[/img]

I used to use photobucket to host my pics, but that site hasn't been working for me lately.
Last edited by TimmyT140 on Mon May 01, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

Alternately, you can click the third icon in the third box in the post a reply page, that gives you the img tags, and you paste the picture url location in between the img tags.

If you google' img tags' you will probably find a better explanation than I can give.
crusher

Post by crusher »

For eating, I'll take flounder, reds, specks, in order.
Catching, I'll take reds, specks, flounder. Of course, I'm still pretty new since I don't get out a lot and have spent a lot more time learning to chase reds around than specks so far.
I have found there are some speck fishermen that are sort of purists, including my own nephew - they love the big specks far beyond all others. And there's nothing wrong with a purist point of view in sport. I'd be embarrassed to say what my PB speck is, so lets just say I haven't experienced the pleasure of fighting a significantly large speck yet, so I don't understand. When I do, maybe I'll agree with them. Always something to look forward to, but until then I just keep hoping for another freight train of a red.
Gordo-wannafish

Post by Gordo-wannafish »

I don't read every day, but I've never heard of anyone hating on reds. My first choice of bay fish to eat. And I'll just catch whatever is willing to bite!
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

Most of the guys I've heard say they don't like catching reds don't have any good reasons. I mostly hear it from the boater/wader crowd, and I figure it's because they can't boat or wade the best areas for catching reds.
The back lakes I fished in yesterday are (practically) only accessible in a kayak. Reasons, mangroves are too big for airboats, channel/drain is too shallow and twisty for even the shallowest running powerboats. I saw a couple of guys in a duck boat with a mud motor get back there once, but with the noise being made by the oysters on that aluminum I have a feeling they won't make that trip again. When I go there I know I'll be back there all by myself. Last three times I went back there I found a big school of reds when they are hard to find elsewhere.

Here's my red haul from yesterday. 8)
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

These debates about which fish is better come up from time to time in one form or another. I think they are almost like the ones like "do you like scotch or bourbon" or "wine or beer". Which fish gives you the best high or a high period. I don't think people can help what fish they like or don't like. The fish make the choice. Most inshore saltwater fish will give me a high. Big trout are a trip. That drug is too dangerous for me. You get that drag puller, tail walker, head thrasher, direction shifter, You go through all that unscathed and endure the dive between your legs or under the kayak. You survive all that and the net is out. The fish is on its side and looks half dead and there is one last head shake, and it's gone...
KingO'Dinks
Location: Motorized OK Trident/Manta Ray/Center console/Austin/Seadrift

Post by KingO'Dinks »

specks are okay to catch, but i give them away, or release them, much, much rather eat a Red, or Black drum.
KingO'Dinks
Location: Motorized OK Trident/Manta Ray/Center console/Austin/Seadrift

Post by KingO'Dinks »

Every time i think I've hooked a nice trout, it turns out to be a 16" red (:
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

TimmyT140 wrote:What's not to like about this?

The only thing wrong with your pic Mr. TimmyT140 is that the red isn't in my lap (instead of yours)! :lol:

Reds, Specs, Flounder - I like them all!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I think generally that people get ruined by a good trout bite. Once they've busted a limit of trout that are all solid.. it's addictive, and there is just something primitive about when a 23" + trout sucks a topwater down off the surface in foam in spray. I caught a 22" trout in Matty this spring that my whole crew herd strike from the end of a long cast... 40 yards. For some reason after a good blowup while fishing for trout, after you've thought you're about to land your new personal best trout of the season, or of your life, it turns out to only have one spot on it and its golden colored. LOL. it's a REAL let down. Thats when we start calling them 'rubber lips', and 'carp'. LOL.

For me, I love both. And as soon as it starts getting super hot like in july and I start only catching dink trout, i'm done with them. That's when I focus more on reds. I do love catching them all year, it's just a let down during a trout bite. .. catching three after a trout limit is pretty awesome though.. makes no sense at all. LOL. It's all hope, and or let down. It's a matter of perspective of when it happens and if it's suppose to happen.
Salaqua

Post by Salaqua »

Granted my experience is limited, but whenever I have gone in a boat, the guide or boat owner, usually is going trout fishing and getting a red is more or less a secondary benefit. As a kayak angler, I have noticed I often switch tactics where my preference is finding the reds and then going after trout though I want to be better at trout fishing this year so I may switch it up a bit. Given I can get super shallow, going after reds are a strength of kayaks.

In regards to eating, I have not found a great preference other than wanting trout to make ceviche.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

I was wrong to try and make the fight comparison, I never caught a trout as big as these reds I'm catching on a regular basis. Also, I didn't read about people dissing reds on this forum, I was referring back to some conversations I've had with neighbors and co-workers.
How come they bite like crazy one day and not the next? Still full, or hungover from eating too much? I guess I'll never know. Today seemed like it would be a good day, but I only managed one slot, pretty nice one, though.
Those pants were fairly white a few days back. :lol:

TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

TrailChaser wrote:Most of the guys I've heard say they don't like catching reds don't have any good reasons. I mostly hear it from the boater/wader crowd, and I figure it's because they can't boat or wade the best areas for catching reds.
The back lakes I fished in yesterday are (practically) only accessible in a kayak. Reasons, mangroves are too big for airboats, channel/drain is too shallow and twisty for even the shallowest running powerboats. I saw a couple of guys in a duck boat with a mud motor get back there once, but with the noise being made by the oysters on that aluminum I have a feeling they won't make that trip again. When I go there I know I'll be back there all by myself. Last three times I went back there I found a big school of reds when they are hard to find elsewhere.

Here's my red haul from yesterday. 8)
That's a nice haul, TrailChaser, I should have taken a pic of my three as well. My spot was on fire yesterday, there were fish everywhere, and they were hongry! Not so much, today.
Bayou Burner

Post by Bayou Burner »

Mullet Key wrote:Thumbs up on the Galveston Reeboks! Keeps your feet cool, but tough to swim with.
We always called those "Seadrift Ropers" lol
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I've become addicted to hunting and stalking redfish. I grew up bass fishing and once I started saltwater fishing about 4 years ago I've become addicted to them now. Funny thing is when I'm trying to find redfish I end up catching flounder. But that's ok, any legal size flounder comes home with me evrrytime! I very rarely keep a red for eating anymore. To be honest with you I prefer eating a black drum over a redfish. I think they taste better. At least fried I do.