Which Waders to buy Next

FishGONE!

Which Waders to buy Next

Post by FishGONE! »

Ok guys, a few years back I bought Academy's Magellan Brand Mag 3 for like $130 or so. Used them like 2 maybe 3 time in about 3 years. Of course they got leaks now, I got the goop/repair from academy placed on all the seams but still its leaking. Im thinking about switching brands and just biting the bullet and getting some SIMMS. But when I went to Academy I felt the Simms which are thicker than Magellan no doubt. But I also so how much thicker the "Drake" brand was as well. Has anyone where had both? Which do you prefer? I will mostly be fishing with these and I like to get out and wade so I want something that will keep last and is durable. Also I only saw the "Drakes" that come with the boot already. My current waders are stocking foot which I like. Let me know what yall are using and the pros or cons of each. Thanks
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Which Waders to buy Next

Post by Yaklash »

Not sure you'll be using the new ones a lot more than the old ones, but if you aren't using them more than twice a year, I would not spend all that money on Simms. I use mine a lot more than you have and I can't justify the expense of Simms, but mainly because my height means I have to pay a premium for them on top of the regular price.

I am going into my third season with my first pair of Gulf Coast waders, with no leaks and they are comfortable (The Gulf Coast are roomier in the crotch and longer in the inseam than any waders I've ever owned). I used Magellan for years and had the same experience as you (you get what you pay for), except I usually would get 10-15 trips out of them before they'd get leaks. The Gulf Coast are in the same price range as what you paid for the premium Magellans
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

You know that you can take back items that are defective to Academy and exchange them. Since you only used them 2 or 3 times and they leaked make sure you tell the manager that and how you tried to fix the leaks yourself.
you do not need a receipt. They will give you store credit gift card to use. If you have the receipt then they will refund cash.
Even though it has been a few years they will still refund so you can get new ones. Try it. What do you have to loose?
I have exchanged 2 sets since buying from them with no problems from 2 different stores.
FishGONE!

Post by FishGONE! »

kickingback wrote:You know that you can take back items that are defective to Academy and exchange them. Since you only used them 2 or 3 times and they leaked make sure you tell the manager that and how you tried to fix the leaks yourself.
you do not need a receipt. They will give you store credit gift card to use. If you have the receipt then they will refund cash.
Even though it has been a few years they will still refund so you can get new ones. Try it. What do you have to loose?
I have exchanged 2 sets since buying from them with no problems from 2 different stores.

Ya Ive heard that, only thing is they no longer carry the Mag 3's on Mag 2 which Im fine with loosing the extra $30 i paid for the Mag 3 I think. I might try that option out, just to get me some workable waders temporarily to get me on the water. Thanks
LUISJG
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LUISJG »

find a good deal on simms and dont look back,, had mine for 10 years and cero issues
Snipershrk

Post by Snipershrk »

Going on 4yrs for my Simms, buddy of mine has had his 15+ and just now sprung a bunch of pinhole leaks.
FishGONE!

Post by FishGONE! »

Looking at the SIMMS Freestone Z Stocking foot waders. Which do you own? Do you wish you would have bought a different style of the same brand?
Snipershrk

Post by Snipershrk »

Both of ours look like the G3 guide series with the same pocket but same color legs as the top. I thought I paid around $300... perhaps I just blacked out when I was paying :lol: I should also mention that he sent his in to be repaired. They said it would cost too much to repair and gave him $100 off a new pair. :clap:
Slayer21

Post by Slayer21 »

If your serious about fishing and want no BS waders, Simms G3 or better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

FishGONE! wrote:
kickingback wrote:You know that you can take back items that are defective to Academy and exchange them. Since you only used them 2 or 3 times and they leaked make sure you tell the manager that and how you tried to fix the leaks yourself.

Ya Ive heard that, only thing is they no longer carry the Mag 3's on Mag 2 which Im fine with loosing the extra $30 i paid for the Mag 3 I think. I might try that option out, just to get me some workable waders temporarily to get me on the water. Thanks
Thinking along the lines of YL, I somewhat agree if you are going less, the funs might be better spend elsewhere...try to take them back and see if they'll give you a credit towards another brand, if they aren't carrying them anymore, they likely know the quality of the once manufactured item. If Academy has Frog Togg waders I'd say those were better than Magellans, Gulf Coast Waders are also better than the Magellans. Don't know if they are carrying them though.

Is it still maybe worth it to get Simms... I'd say yes even if you can't make it very often, The first 2-3 years I had mine I just couldn't get down to the coast due to projects and mom moving into a home etc. Well, my Simms are still solid and I dont have to worry about hitting the water and having a leak. Plus if they do, they're repair or replace them. To me, even if you don't go as often it's still worth it.
FishGONE!

Post by FishGONE! »

TroutSupport.com wrote:
FishGONE! wrote:

Thinking along the lines of YL, I somewhat agree if you are going less, the funs might be better spend elsewhere...try to take them back and see if they'll give you a credit towards another brand, if they aren't carrying them anymore, they likely know the quality of the once manufactured item. If Academy has Frog Togg waders I'd say those were better than Magellans, Gulf Coast Waders are also better than the Magellans. Don't know if they are carrying them though.

Is it still maybe worth it to get Simms... I'd say yes even if you can't make it very often, The first 2-3 years I had mine I just couldn't get down to the coast due to projects and mom moving into a home etc. Well, my Simms are still solid and I dont have to worry about hitting the water and having a leak. Plus if they do, they're repair or replace them. To me, even if you don't go as often it's still worth it.
I had heard SIMMS had a good return/repair warranty. But I heard someone say they only credited them $100 towards a new pair of SIMMS. Have you had any issuse when and if you returned any SIMMS waders?

My cousin also told me about this new wader company called DRYFT, anyone recommend them?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

FishGONE! wrote:
TroutSupport.com wrote:
FishGONE! wrote:

I had heard SIMMS had a good return/repair warranty. But I heard someone say they only credited them $100 towards a new pair of SIMMS. Have you had any issuse when and if you returned any SIMMS waders?

My cousin also told me about this new wader company called DRYFT, anyone recommend them?
That example was on a set that was 15 years old I think. So, not too shabby to get a $100 credit toward a new pair of something that is exposed to saltwater & still likely to last over 10 years.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

I have SIMMS waders that are very very old and I sent them in and they laughed and offered me a new pair and I said just fix the old ones. I will be buying my second set of SIMMS waders this year. I bought my first set when I was in my mid 20's I believe and I'm 45 now. Bought them at West Bank Anglers when they were still in business.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

I've heard nothing but great things about Simms waders but unfortunately, I haven't had the same experience. During the cooler months, I do a lot of fly fishing for Trout on the Guadalupe. After having a cheap pair of waders fail me last year I broke down and bought a pair of Simms G3's. Being a college student $500 is a lot but I had high hopes that these waders would last me at least 5-10 years.

Not long after the purchase, I started noticing a wet spot in my crotch area when I took off my waders. At first, I thought I wasn't wearing the proper layering and assumed it was just sweat and condensation. The problem still occurred after I began wearing the appropriate moisture wicking clothing recommended by Simms. So I sent them in for repair which Simms did for free.

Flash forward to the beginning of this season and they leaked on the very first trip after being repaired. The leak doesn't cause to much discomfort ( although it looks like I peed my pants every time I take my waders off) so I'm going to send them back in after it warms back up. To be honest, the leak isn't a major trip ending problem, but I expect better from a $500 pair of waders! How Simms handles the problem the second time will have a big impact on whether I buy future products from them. Please understand that I'm not trying to bash Simms. I'm just trying to share an honest experience. I'm hoping that I just received a bad apple and Simms really is as great as everyone claims.
Texas Wader
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Texas Wader »

I had 2 different Hodgeman waders, neoprene and the expensive zipper hickory swale.
used 2 seasons and liked them. then one tiny tooth in zipper came out and they leak. Hodgeman does not stand behind their product. Can't find anyone to fix them so I have 195 laying on a box in garage.
Bought Simms and have used 2 seasons. also bought the fleece guide bib. I stay warm, dry and toasty.
Simms is the only way to go.
ThePopinCorkKid

Post by ThePopinCorkKid »

I buy lower end waders from Academy. When ever they break I return them and get some new ones.
ThePopinCorkKid

Post by ThePopinCorkKid »

I buy lower end waders from Academy. When ever they break I return them and get some new ones.
crusher

Post by crusher »

Yaklash mentioned Gulf Coast waders and I'll throw Patagonia in to the conversation. I got a set of Patagonia 3 years ago at a discount, and they've been great. No leaks and they have a great fit and feel to them. I think(hope) they'll have a 10 year life for less than half the price of the highest status brand.
I visited with the Gulf Coast folks at last years fishing show in Houston and I liked what I saw and what they had to say. I may buy the next set for one of my teenagers from them. I don't like bashing a product so I'll leave the name out, but for my young teenager, I found out indeed I got what I paid for with his first (cheap) waders.

My point is Academy vs Simms is not the only option.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Zackthefisherman wrote: so I'm going to send them back in after it warms back up. To be honest, the leak isn't a major trip ending problem, but I expect better from a $500 pair of waders! How Simms handles the problem the second time will have a big impact on whether I buy future products from them. Please understand that I'm not trying to bash Simms. I'm just trying to share an honest experience. I'm hoping that I just received a bad apple and Simms really is as great as everyone claims.
Well, send them back in again... I don't know any other company that is willing to do that, doesn't sound like you've had a bad experience.. .just a minor flaw. It's very hard for any manufacture to totally remove all flaws from a mfg process these days. call them and tell them your story and ask for a new pair this time.
FishGONE!

Post by FishGONE! »

crusher wrote:Yaklash mentioned Gulf Coast waders and I'll throw Patagonia in to the conversation. I got a set of Patagonia 3 years ago at a discount, and they've been great. No leaks and they have a great fit and feel to them. I think(hope) they'll have a 10 year life for less than half the price of the highest status brand.
I visited with the Gulf Coast folks at last years fishing show in Houston and I liked what I saw and what they had to say. I may buy the next set for one of my teenagers from them. I don't like bashing a product so I'll leave the name out, but for my young teenager, I found out indeed I got what I paid for with his first (cheap) waders.

My point is Academy vs Simms is not the only option.
I am not only restricting to Academy, so any and all options are open at this time. I was looking into Patagonia, and it seems like their warrant was pretty good too. I dont know if it is as good as SIMMS but from the outside it could be.

Right now Im leaning towards SIMMS but could see myself purchasing either DRYFT waders, I will have to look into Gulf Coast also.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

You might try this on the old ones. Buy a can of the spray rubber. It comes in an aerosol can from Home Depot or the like. I lay out my aging waders and spray all the seams. It sprays a think clear coat but it definitely works. It is a visible layer of clear rubber so it ruins the look of the waders but it sure seals up those seams because it is basically liquid going on then sets up to a soft pliable solid rubber.

It is worth the little bit of cash to try it.