December Pictures

Zackthefisherman

December Pictures

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Finally the time has come and trout are back in the Guadalupe! I had double digit days both this morning and yesterday.
uploadfromtaptalk1480968997751.JPG
Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1480969072439.JPG
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: December Pictures

Post by jhb »

I'm ready Zack... overnighter this weekend though. You off Thursday by any chance?
Zackthefisherman

Hey Jhb I sent you a text. Let me know if you didn't get it because my phone has been acting up lately.
Zackthefisherman

The fishing was pretty slow this weekend, but I did manage this pig yesterday evening.

jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Damn Zack! Did you happen to get a measurement? BFA for Rainbow is 15" I believe.
Zackthefisherman

No, I didn't get an official measurement but she was around 17-18 inches max. As you can tell though she was super fat and put up one hell of a fight!
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Slow overnight trip on the Colorado this past weekend, but did manage one nice Largemouth. The colder weather had them all holding tight to cover and the river seemed super shallow compared to my last trip. I think a lot of this has to do with construction of a bridge that has loosened topsoil and eroded a lot of fresh gravel the crews have brought in. Also, the last flood has deposited a lot of debris on every island and bank around, which can be beneficial, but this all seemed to be detrimental debris (a lot of trash).

Anyways, fishing was slow, and what is normally a very productive stretch just seemed to be a tough stretch, but around 4pm the bite just turned on. Like a light switch a few came to hand in under an hour. Trying my hardest to be stealthy I was inching along the shore rather than cruising in the open (clarity was actually pretty good for this stretch considering the recent rains too). I like to use my foot to work my way along the bank with slow and soft adjustments from the paddle. I was casting to wooden flood debris and allowing my jig with craw trailer to flutter to the bottom in less than 2' of water. As the lure sinks just below a tree trunk my line goes taut and my rod loads itself, all I had to do was lean back. With less than 15' of line out she dove back into her hide and I had to allow my rod to do the work as I used my foot to shove off the bank and away from her lair. As her head turns into open water I turn her back to the stillness and keep her moving with tension constantly applied on the jig and my rod leading her movement. All she can do is try to leap to free herself and I have to react quickly with very little line to retrieve, by keeping my rod tip below the surface. I get her to the net as quick as I can and see that I've caught my fish of the day.

My compadre has excused himself to explore the island we were near and all I can do is relish the experience alone, which I was proud to do. She isn't a PB, she isn't a record or a trophy, but when you've been pulling in thin bass all day, she was a welcome sight. She taped out at exactly 20" and dove right back to her hole upon release.
IMG_3973.JPG
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

Nice trout . Any advice on where to take some youngsters after Christmas and maybe have a shot at a few bigger ones too?
Zackthefisherman

With school out I've been doing lots of fishing lately. I've been exploring new areas, trying new techniques, and most importantly catching a bunch of fish!
I found this dead trout on the bank that was probably 24-25 inches long!

Welderdude, if you're taking kids I would recommend Hueco Springs or below the dam. I would use power bait with light line and the smallest hooks you can find. For big trout I would focus on the trophy zone. Rio Raft, Lazy L&l, and Action Angler(fly fishing only) are all good spots. Keep in mind the fishing is tougher in these areas and take note of the special regulations.

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1482601206360.JPG
uploadfromtaptalk1482601124774.JPG
Zackthefisherman

Sorry I don't know why the pictures popped up twice and I can't delete them.

Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

Thanks zach...we will be headed to hueco monday afternoon or tuesday morning. did see the restrictions from TPWD
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

Didn't do so hot for the number of lines we had. Ended up with 6 for the fry pan, but had 5 dropped by the boys. Caught one nice sized fish and when we cleaned it she had eggs! Didn't know that these fish were able to reproduce
Zackthefisherman

That doesn't sound like a bad day to me.

I'm not an expert on this topic, but from what I understand the trout are in a spawning mode when they are stocked. I'm not sure what causes this is. I believe trout naturally spawn this time of year (Fall through early Winter) and my guess is this has something to do with it. I don't think these freshly stocked fish spawn successfully, but I believe that at least some females release their eggs. That is why egg patterns are so productive this time of year. I've heard of rare cases of naturally spawning on the Guadalupe but these are holdover fish that have been in the river a while. This is just an interpretation of what I've heard and read as a Grtu member the past three years.