White Bass - 2/26 or 2/27

Mattias

White Bass - 2/26 or 2/27

Post by Mattias »

My old fishing buddy is coming in to town from Houston and is bringing his SINK this coming weekend. Jack (jklepomis) mentioned at Dog & Duck the other day that there are some spots you can paddle to on Lake Travis on creeks with no bank access. I'd really be interested in exploring that option. Otherwise, we'd probably hit Reimer's or the San Gabriel.

Anybody want to join us? I'm not exactly sure if it would be Saturday or Sunday.
Ranch Hand
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ranch Hand »

I've been wanting to try Reimers.
NU-B yaker

Post by NU-B yaker »

Where on the San Gabriel do you go? It won't be long until the whites are running at Tejas Camp. I want to try it there within the next couple of weeks, hopefully with a new yak.
Mattias

Post by Mattias »

I don't know where we'd go on the SG, never been there before. I've bankfished at Reimer's once before.
chavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by chavez »

Well I finally have read some reports regarding the Pedernales from http://www.texasflyreport.com/ and http://www.texasfishingforum.com written up yesterday with comments such as:

Went to Reimers Sunday night . Whitebass are in the river. Caught 12 nice ones equal # of male/females. Went back this morning and got 9 more then they quit biting when the sun came out. First ones of the year for me. Saw Sportsman 3535 today Hi there!!!
River T

and

Hey RiverT!

I went upstream in my kayak, caught a dozen or so, kept 4 nice ones, just fried them up for dinner. It was good to meet you out there today. Email me will.rountree@gmail.com if you want to fish together sometime.

and

Posted on:
2/21/2005 7:20:12 PM

Posted By:
Will Rountree

Reimer's Ranch
The fish are there. Finally. Good numbers of fish caught today. I fished upstream from the beach area.
Recommended Flies: Grey Clousers

So if this chest cold I picked up doesn't get any worse and the weather doesn't indicate thunderstorms, I'ld like to give Reimer's a try on Friday morning to avoid too much crowds.
Mattias

Post by Mattias »

Have fun on Friday. I'm stuck with weekend fishing, particularly due to my buddy's schedule.
jklepomis

Post by jklepomis »

Mattias

Don't know if I'll have time for a kayak trip this weekend. Maybe just a couple of hours somewhere, probably Tejas since its closest to me. Got some flies I need to finish for a swap, and some other work. I don't know where to go for a paddle trip, I just remember some discussion during White Bass season last year about some trips that were possible on Travis. Cow Creek rings a bell. Bull creek up from County Line is another possibility. Should be able to use the search engine and see what is there, or just go back through the back pages to about this time. Good luck if you get out, take your rainsuit and a warm sweater.
jklepomis

Post by jklepomis »

Searched the back messages from last year and found the one that mentioned crossing Travis to fish a creek. It was Shaffer Bend to DoubleHorn Creek. I'm up for that sometime but not this weekend. Here's the link:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... ass+travis

For any of you not accustomed to this kind of fishing and the locations, you should go back to last year or 2003 around this time to get an idea about where was doing good when on what!!
RttlTrap
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RttlTrap »

Seems like when I did finally make the trip, the whites were way up doublehorn but had a case of lockjaw. I continued to catch large mouths in that creek up through May. If nothing else, its a great place to paddle.
Mattias

Post by Mattias »

When you say "way up", how far are we talking?

If anybody wants to go out with us tomorrow, PM me. I think I'm just gonna bundle up with my breathable waders and a rainjacket and see how it goes. Chris has a SINK, so he should be a tad more comfy.

My current plan is to go out tomorrow from after lunchtime till dusk. Top two spots are looking like Shaffer Bend or Reimer's. I like the idea of exploring more than fighting crowds, even if it means a potential skunking.

I can't wait till the weather warms and the time changes -- I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of afternoons out on Town Lake!