New to Texas and Kayaking. Kayak recommendation

Tckwilson

New to Texas and Kayaking. Kayak recommendation

Post by Tckwilson »

Hello everyone. I just moved to Katy Texas and want to give Kayak fishing a try. Looking at buying my first Kayak. I was just wondering what you guys would recommend. First off I am not so young anymore, 52 years old. So kayak weight and comfort are important to me. I plan on using it on smaller freshwater ponds, lakes and skinny saltwater. I am a big guy 6'4" and 220. Based on these factors what would you recommend? I have looked at native watercraft fx and Feel free lure as potential fits for me. Also I have a 12 year old daughter who likes to go with me and I have considered buying a tandem that I could use as a single when she doesn't tag along. Would I be better off getting her own kayak? Thanks in advance for any recommendations
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: New to Texas and Kayaking. Kayak recommendation

Post by texnomad »

Definitely get separate yaks. Practically speaking tandems get pretty heavy and unwieldy when used as a single in my opinion. My advice is the same as most of the folks here. If you haven't tried out at least ten different yaks then you are not ready to purchase one yet. Be sure you and your equipment do not exceed 65% of the rated weight for a yak. Welcome aboard.
Tckwilson

Post by Tckwilson »

Thanks Texnomad. I am going to Austin Kayak demo days this weekend to try several out. Other than the two I listed do you have any other specific boats I should make sure I try?
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

My experiences with yaks have been mostly yaks too small for your size to be comfortable. Some of the bigger folks on here will be better help on exact yaks.
Tckwilson

Post by Tckwilson »

Thanks again Texasnomad
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

You are welcome. Have fun.
JimBeaux

Post by JimBeaux »

In about 3 years your little girl will have new interests & be too busy for you. Get a 2nd yak for when she can spare the time. :lol:
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

buy a used yak first and then get a new one when you have more experience...theres a thread on this website full of good yaks
quigly7777

Post by quigly7777 »

Were you at the demo days in Austin? I was there Saturday and may go to the one in San Marcos this weekend. Still trying to figure out what I may want. Probably took 10 out, kinda liking the Viking for fishing and hoping to try the GT model in San Marcos. I am 6', about 225 and found all I tried to be reasonably stable, comfortable. I had only been in a canoe one in my life, never a kayak. Never tried standing!
Tckwilson

Post by Tckwilson »

Thanks for the advice everyone. MobyYack, I do plan on going the used route. I have never been in a fishing Yak before other than sitting in one in a store. Quigly7777 I live in the Houston area didn't make it up to Austin. I am going to the one in Missoury City this weekend. Look forward to trying out a lot of boats. JimBeaux, I am sure you are right about my daughter. I hate to see it but it goes with the territory I guess
cabajohw

Post by cabajohw »

Welcome to Texas and yaking! I agree with all of the posts so far, try try try. It's cheaper in the long run for you because if you jump the gun you will be unhappy with your purchase and looking to unload it for an upgrade. I've been kayaking for many years now and have been through this process many of times. I'm a bigger guy, 6' 260lbs, and if you're looking for something to stand up in find a good combination on wide/long. I have a Jackson Cuda 14 and it's a beast for all the inshore fishing I do. I can stand up in it, it's extremely fast, and the everyday chop doesn't phase it one bit. But I've made many impulse buys to find a good yak so please try many.

But if you're going to be fishing in primarily calmer waters like lakes and ponds, then you can get a shorter yak like a feelfree lure 10, 36" wide and comes with the wheel in the keel which will help you get it around from point A to B very easily.
TxSpeedster

Post by TxSpeedster »

I'm 58 years old, 6'0" and weigh in at 205lbs. My kayak is the Jackson Kilroy DT. It is a lot of yak at 14'8" and 100 pounds without seats. (I weighed it) It is a tandem that serves me perfectly as a solo craft. I tried 4 different kayaks when I found this one used for $800 and I could not be happier with it. I stand to fish about 85% of the time and swear by the stability of my Kilroy DT. Yeah, it is slower than many of the kayaks out there but I can keep up most of the time. It tracks well and handles better than its size would suggest. It has borne me and close to 200lbs of gear for a weekend camping trip. (People in the 'fast' kayaks kept asking me to carry a bit of their gear :lol: )

Regarding the tandem vs two singles dilemma: I have no place to store an additional kayak, I had to have a one size fits all solution. The Kilroy DT was my solution.
Newt556

Post by Newt556 »

DOnt go the tandem route! You can easily get her a cheap 10ft and trust me it will be 1000 times better and quiter then having her in the same yak with you. The jackson coosa hd would be a good choice. If you want cheaper the ocean kayak big game 2 or the trident 13. I would go with at least a 400# capacity kayak the lures are ok but I have heard alot bad things about the low seat back. I sat in tehlure for awhile and I didnt likethat low seat back. Why they didnt go with the lounge chair option is beyond me. If you got the money the Jackson line of kayaks would be the way I would go. Get the daughter a 10ft perception tribe kayak around $425 and a cheap paddle. For your daughters kayak check academy and dicks for sales.
Warhawk

Post by Warhawk »

I have a Jackson Tripper 12, easy to paddle, relatively fast, and relatively stable. I'm 56, 260# with back problems. The Tripper 12 is the recreation version of the Kilroy fishing kayak. I added some yak attack rail and now it suits me fine for fishing. It's a "hybrid" kayak, and I really like the design for fishing. I set a tackle bag right in front of me, between my legs and have everything I need handy.

My wife has a Jackson Tupelo. She does not fish, but loves to go out in the kayak. Jackson is coming out with a thermoformed version of the Tupelo next year that weighs just 35 pounds! I'm very tempted to get one.

We also have a cheapie kayak for the grandkids, visitors, etc. it's a Heritage Angler Featherlite 9.5. A sit inside Angler model that weighs just 39 pounds. I have not used it, but my wife has and says it's fine except for the seat. It's $269 at Academy.