Wade fishing Sabine area

Wag

Wade fishing Sabine area

Post by Wag »

Will be yakless in Port Arthur soon to provide some care for elderly in-laws so was thinking of trying some wade fishing. Growing up without boat or kayak, we used to wade around Bailey's in BC and around the old coast guard station in Sabine Pass. And some for flounder around the causeway on Pleasure Island. But it's been so long, I don't know if those spots are still accessible/safe. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Wade fishing Sabine area

Post by Piscator »

Those areas are still OK. The causeway has changed a little. Checkout the north fishing levee on Pleasure Island. Can be good at times and you stay dry.
Wag

Post by Wag »

Thanks for the feedback. I have wanted to try the north levee for a while so will give it a try also.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

pleasure island flounder fishing should be kicking of very soon. no need to get wet for that. also? there is a beach area on the way to the old coast Guard station that can be good for wading.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Wag

Post by Wag »

Thanks. The beach around the old coast guard station was one of my frequent haunts growing up and many hurricanes ago. Feeling drawn again to being in the water and trying to address the risks as I usually fish alone. Do you know if the bottom along the north levee is wadeable?
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I have seen people wading on the north end of the north levee. I imagine the bottom is fine once you get past the rocks.
Wag

Post by Wag »

Thanks. I hope to give it a try.
GUMB0
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GUMB0 »

Just food for thought here, the road to the old coast guard station is subject to flooding and is in very rough condition,when the water is over the road it makes it difficult to see the giant pot holes. It's fairly passable up to the Beach that was mentioned earlier. Don't know what you vehicle situation is but be very careful if you try to make it to the end. If you'd be interested in borrowing a yak or going out one day while you're here shoot me a PM and we work something out.
JimBeaux

Post by JimBeaux »

GUMB0 wrote:Just food for thought here, the road to the old coast guard station is subject to flooding and is in very rough condition,when the water is over the road it makes it difficult to see the giant pot holes. It's fairly passable up to the Beach that was mentioned earlier. Don't know what you vehicle situation is but be very careful if you try to make it to the end. If you'd be interested in borrowing a yak or going out one day while you're here shoot me a PM and we work something out.
Tried making it to the point last week. The road has been 'improved' a little, but the tide and wind wasnt in the cards. In the headlights I saw a red swimming across the road! I was able to get about a quarter mile from the point and the water got deeper than I was comfortable with.

At high tide getting to the dog leg is no problem.
Wag

Post by Wag »

Yes, that's really good information about water on the road....just the sort of thing I wouldn't have thought about. Thanks, Gumbo, for the offer of a loaner, but I'll be in a vehicle without capacity to carry a yak and one that definitely doesn't do water well!