Chumming of the bulls?

Ozark Gringo

Chumming of the bulls?

Post by Ozark Gringo »

Anybody have experience chumming Bull Reds?
I'm looking to chase some bulls this week, and curious if making up a couple buckets of chum might be helpful, or if it would be more likely to attract a bunch of gafftops and sharks.

Any thoughts?
Dubdee

Re: Chumming of the bulls?

Post by Dubdee »

youll get plenty of bulls but they wont be red.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

Dubdee wrote:youll get plenty of bulls but they wont be red.

:lol: :lol:
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

You can make your chum out of old bait, but an easier way to to buy a can of mackerel out of the store and open a lot of holes in the bottom and use it. I keep those net bags that FunPops come in and place the can in there and hang off the side of my yak. Every so often I shake some out and let it float/sink away.

It will attract bull reds, but others species too............gafftops and sharks. You got to take the good with the bad!
Ozark Gringo

Post by Ozark Gringo »

Mythman wrote:You can make your chum out of old bait, but an easier way to to buy a can of mackerel out of the store and open a lot of holes in the bottom and use it. I keep those net bags that FunPops come in and place the can in there and hang off the side of my yak. Every so often I shake some out and let it float/sink away.

It will attract bull reds, but others species too............gafftops and sharks. You got to take the good with the bad!
I have a bunch of spent grains leftover from beer brewing, so I was thinking I could mix them with chopped up mullet or crabs, and put them in an ice cream bucket, lined with like an onion sack...similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTEN5_zZNXA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The mackerel can idea would be way simpler, but I wonder how effective of an attractant that small amount of material would be?
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

ive seen the mackerel in action and that oily stuff works well....you could always cast net a bunch of mullet and slowly cut them up or whatever
DX2

Post by DX2 »

Menhaden oil mixed with dry crushed up dog food . Or you can buy the loaded bags at academy with the offshore tackle. They work wonders!