Flats Canoe

IndyKid

Flats Canoe

Post by IndyKid »

Anyone else here fish the coast in a canoe?

I had been floating the idea around for a while and finally pulled the trigger. I had posted this on the TKF Facebook and had a lot of interest in it, so just thought I'd share my experiences with it here as well. It's an American Eagle 16' flats package.

http://fishnpaddle.weebly.com/fishing-stories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Flats Canoe

Post by Yaklash »

Will you use a kayak paddle or traditional?
IndyKid

Post by IndyKid »

in the process of putting a trolling motor on it for shallow water fishing, but I will probably use a traditional paddle although I could see a long kayak paddle working too.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Occasionally. 8)

Ahart321

Post by Ahart321 »

I have a little 16 ft Gruman riveted canoe that I use on the lights all the time with my buddy. It is nice to have one person paddling up to the light for setup and then on person casting and then trade off.

We have alot of fun. Have caught alot of reds and trout also
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

that rig looks great! i've talked to you a little on fb and i didn't know you were on here too! i'm still considering that one, but the more and more my wife wants to go i'm thinking i may have to get a bare bones gheenoe. hopefully i can build it up piece by piece to help with the cost since they are really proud of them lol. the problem is the closest dealer is Mississippi :( i'm going to try calling them today this afternoon.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

CruisinSexyHD wrote:that rig looks great! i've talked to you a little on fb and i didn't know you were on here too! i'm still considering that one, but the more and more my wife wants to go i'm thinking i may have to get a bare bones gheenoe. hopefully i can build it up piece by piece to help with the cost since they are really proud of them lol. the problem is the closest dealer is Mississippi :( i'm going to try calling them today this afternoon.
There are two Gheenoes for sale right now on the 2 Cool Fishing classifieds. One is in Houston and the other is in Louisiana and he seems to be eager to sell. Check your PM for my take on the Mississippi dealer.
IndyKid

Post by IndyKid »

CruisinSexyHD wrote:that rig looks great! i've talked to you a little on fb and i didn't know you were on here too! i'm still considering that one, but the more and more my wife wants to go i'm thinking i may have to get a bare bones gheenoe. hopefully i can build it up piece by piece to help with the cost since they are really proud of them lol. the problem is the closest dealer is Mississippi :( i'm going to try calling them today this afternoon.
Gheenoes pop up on craigslist a bit, like was mentioned above. They are obviously much more of a boat than the canoe. I just wanted something I could launch and fish wherever I could my kayak. Just bought a c-tug to launch it solo. Trolling motor is in the works this weekend.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Just think about a canoe as a kayak with higher sides. Its just catches more wind but the wind is dying down for the rest of the summer. Its a tool to get you around. I can't help with catching fish, I am in a funk now.
EZ-E
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by EZ-E »

Indian River has a square back canoe with tunnel you can stick up to a 4hp on them. They run about $500

Several kayakers on TKF have them to make long hauls without paddeling.

http://www.indianrivercanoes.com/otter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bayou Burner

Post by Bayou Burner »

That's a nice setup sir! I still have a 15' Coleman that may son and I use in the bayou.
IndyKid

Post by IndyKid »

EZ-E wrote:Indian River has a square back canoe with tunnel you can stick up to a 4hp on them. They run about $500

Several kayakers on TKF have them to make long hauls without paddeling.

http://www.indianrivercanoes.com/otter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Had looked at those before the american eagle. Nice little canoe for the $$
vstrom650

Post by vstrom650 »

I'm another canoe user. I alternate between my Hobie and an antique Grumman aluminum 17' canoe. I've stripping the interior bare (removed seats, cross-bracing, etc.) and rebuilt for my fishing needs. Got a false floor, swivel seat, trolling motor, mounts for pontoons (that I don't use, more than stable enough without them), live well, batteries, ice chest, etc. Lots and lots of room. It provides a nice change of pace when I don't feed like pedaling. It is a handful in the wind, but I like it.
Russ in Rockport

Post by Russ in Rockport »

Hope this comes through--this isn't my exact model--mine was custom built by a friend and me--carbon and Kevlar--18 1/2 feet--44 pounds--not meant for double blade or rudder, but mine has a rudder and I double blade it. F-A-S-T! Mine has six foot decks, bow and stern, both bulkheaded into separate compartments--with a six foot cockpit. The decks and bulkheads really help with the wind although they disqualify it from
USCA-sanctioned races. OK--so it's somewhat specialized. :D

For any open canoe at the coast, I would recommend a spray cover, especially in the bow--not only to prevent wave entry but to keep the wind from getting inside and pressing on the inside surfaces of the boat. Also keep the bow and stern low to the water--as most people seem to know.

Russ

http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab32 ... 010403.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I've owned a number of canoes; two gheenoes; and four or so kayaks.

My issues with the canoes was their "tippiness" .....as well as their propensity to be caught by any gust of wind. For river paddling, they were great. For flat water fishing in any kind of wind, I spent too much time paddling them around trying to keep them pointed onto the shoreline or fish.

richg99.....
Johninaustin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johninaustin »

Used to have a Mad River canoe that i used around the crash channels, it was never tippy but it caught wind like no one's business. Made it unfishable in all but the calmest conditions.

That said, it was sort of like fishing from your porch there was so much room and storage. :mrgreen:

I'd like to try standing up in a canoe with one of those bendy SUP paddles.