Reports from Dean at Slowride?

PanamaYak

Post by PanamaYak »

Being a Corpus Christi area kayaker for quite some time, I'd sure like to see some timely fishing reports from Dean at Slowride. Our Gulf water is presently chocolate colored and almost barren of summer gamefish out to the third/fourth bar due to cold water upwelling so the backsides of Padre, Mustang and St. Joes islands along with AP, Rockport and the LHL continue to be my go-to locations. Inshore reports from the coastal bend will be greatly appreciated!
StevenM
Location: Fredericksburg and Aransas Pass Texas Wilderness Ride 135

Re: Reports from Dean at Slowride?

Post by StevenM »

I'm with you
Would also like to see the Corpus chapter forum on here pick up some steam for our area
Not many posts there for a while.
I will say the sailboat channel near Brown and root has been good the last few days for Reds holding on the drop near reefs. Lots of Rats but a few lower to mid level slots mixed in
Coffeeman

Post by Coffeeman »

I too notice very few reports from South Texas esp. the Corpus Area. Here is my report. This was my experience on June 25th. The bite was on with live shrimp. Caught three nice slot reds and a couple of trout. All caught in about 1.5 hours.. These were caught at what is commonly known as deadman hole. Behind the church at a drop off. The tide was relatively low in that area. I don't venture out much anymore, but it was a lot of fun. I went out just a couple of weeks ago and it was a night and day difference... the tide was high and no keepers.. just some croaker, dogfish and small trout.. Hardly any bites on anything (lures, topwater, not even dead shrimp worked). My friend was out there and usually he catches fish when no one else does, but no fish were caught. Oh I forgot to mention that I lost a Templeton Fork rod with a Stradic 2500 reel...
Attachments
IMG_2472.JPG
Centexfisherman

Post by Centexfisherman »

CM...thanks for report! Sorry about you losing your rod and reel. What happened?
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Please note the post count of the folks complaining of lack of posts. You're part of the solution or you're part of the problem. Thank you.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

The closer the group is to water, the less active the forum. At least that is what I have observed.
Coffeeman

Re: Reports from Dean at Slowride

Post by Coffeeman »

Milkjug wrote:Please note the post count of the folks complaining of lack of posts. You're part of the solution or you're part of the problem. Thank you.
Very classy response sir. It was very encouraging.... Let me go slow on this one. I ...was...trying...to...be...part...of...the...solution by posting my report. I now realize that I posted on the wrong category but decided not to remove it because of the lack of Corpus reports and felt some people would enjoy it. If you read my post, I said I don't venture much out much anymore.... Hence generally nothing to report. I enjoy reading the reports esp the ones with pictures.
Coffeeman

Post by Coffeeman »

Centexfisherman wrote:CM...thanks for report! Sorry about you losing your rod and reel. What happened?
It's embarrassing to admit this, but I had not been out on the water for about a year or a year and a half and I did not have everything in proper order. I took two rods one rigged with a soft plastic lure and the other for fishing with live shrimp. Somehow in my packing to get ready I left my aerator on the back bumper and lost it on the way to the bait bucket. I did not take the traditional shrimp bucket you can just hang off the kayak. I took the engle cooler 13qt livewell you see behind my seat. With no aerator my shrimp needed to be refreshed after a while...when I went to grab the cooler from behind the seat it hooked my reel and lifted it out of the molded rod holder and it splashed in the water. I did not realize right away that I had lost my reel. I made a few attempts to find it but I had moved by the time I realized that I lost my rod and reel.

I wish my story was more exciting like I Turtled or something (which happened once). However, just pure negligence caused the loss. I was to excited to just finally make a trip I did not have my gear in proper place.

Lesson learned. Also I will keep things a little more simple. I won't be dipping the cooler anymore.... I haven't purchased another TF rod... Just too expensive and if I am prone to loosing them, then for now I will stick with less expensive rods... Warranty doesn't what happened. I'm over it but It wasn't all lost. I did have a great day of fishing.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

if you want to know what Dean Thomas "Slowride" is doing
you need to friend him on Facebook
Dean posts a couple of times a day on FB
potlicker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by potlicker »

Coffeeman wrote:
Milkjug wrote:Please note the post count of the folks complaining of lack of posts. You're part of the solution or you're part of the problem. Thank you.
Very classy response sir. It was very encouraging.... Let me go slow on this one. I ...was...trying...to...be...part...of...the...solution by posting my report. I now realize that I posted on the wrong category but decided not to remove it because of the lack of Corpus reports and felt some people would enjoy it. If you read my post, I said I don't venture much out much anymore.... Hence generally nothing to report. I enjoy reading the reports esp the ones with pictures.

that's being that idiot's motto every time someone asked about a report. Like he post a freaking report on a regular basis himself, and always like to pick on new folks or people with low post counts.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

There are several kayak guides in the CC/Rockport/AP areas who will at times post "reports." They certainly don't post reports on this web-site much any more, and Dean is one that has almost stopped posting here completely. As written above, FB pages are becoming much more frequented by potential customers (and they are businessmen and women after all) and, thus, these guides pay much more attention to their FB pages.

But the Fishing Reports, in general, on this site are way down and one could only presume why.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Coffeeman wrote:
Is there a club or something people join where they get together to look for something someone said that might have made them feel a little uncomfortable that they can complain about? Kristeonacracker.

Seems pretty clear to me that Milk was commenting on the two posts above yours, but hey, don't let the obvious get in the way of an opportunity to whine. It's very fashionable apparently.

Never saw that typing with periods between the words to illustrate deliberate speech, verrrry clever...
Coffeeman

Post by Coffeeman »

"...Is there a club or something people join where they get together to look for something someone said that might have made them feel a little uncomfortable that they can complain about? Kristeonacracker.

Seems pretty clear to me that Milk was commenting on the two posts above yours, but hey, don't let the obvious get in the way of an opportunity to whine. It's very fashionable apparently.

Never saw that typing with periods between the words to illustrate deliberate speech, verrrry clever...[/quote]

You know I didn't give the ellipses a second thought, but hey here is some information from fandom-grammar.livejournal.com

"Ellipses
Ellipses (. . .) are used to indicate an omission or a pause and is always printed as three dots. The Chicago Manual of Style and Modern Language Association (MLA) differ on how an ellipsis should be printed, Chicago style stating that there should be no spaces between the dots (...), whereas MLA has spaces before each dot (. . .). British style guides tend to side with MLA, though that doesn’t mean you have to use spaces before each dot. When writing or editing your own work, just make sure that you pick a style and stick to it."

Thanks. I guess it could be clever. I can see what I wrote could make someone take offense as I apparently did, so if the post was not directed at me then I apologize to Milkjug and hope my comment wasn't hasty. I guess the old adage is true...if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

I hope this can be...THE END. Hey my post count just went up! :lol:
PanamaYak

Post by PanamaYak »

Since I started this thread by expressing a WISH to see some recent quality reports (NOT posts, Milkdud) from Dean Thomas, it seems to have gone in all directions. I'll make my few final comments at this time and let y'all continue to duke it out.
StevenM and Coffeeman: I'd fish with you guys anytime. I' comfortably retired and have plenty of time to fish.
Tombo: Interesting "observation". I've actually fished with you in a group many moons ago and enjoy most of your reports. Tell me how to join the CC Forum on TKF so I can post some reports.
Capt. Jack: Not a member of Facebook and won't ever be one so I guess I won't see Dean's quality reports.

Milkjug (or is it Milkdud?): I survived two back-to-back tours in Vietnam as Navy SpecOps and have been shot at and missed so I can certainly weather your rant. For you, I invoke Mark Twain's "Never argue with...".

Hoo-Yah and
Onward, thru the fog!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

PanamaYak wrote:Since I started this thread by expressing a WISH to see some recent quality reports (NOT posts, Milkdud) from Dean Thomas, it seems to have gone in all directions. I'll make my few final comments at this time and let y'all continue to duke it out.
StevenM and Coffeeman: I'd fish with you guys anytime. I' comfortably retired and have plenty of time to fish.
Tombo: Interesting "observation". I've actually fished with you in a group many moons ago and enjoy most of your reports. Tell me how to join the CC Forum on TKF so I can post some reports.
Capt. Jack: Not a member of Facebook and won't ever be one so I guess I won't see Dean's quality reports.

Milkjug (or is it Milkdud?): I survived two back-to-back tours in Vietnam as Navy SpecOps and have been shot at and missed so I can certainly weather your rant. For you, I invoke Mark Twain's "Never argue with...".

Hoo-Yah and
Onward, thru the fog!
First off, thank you very much for your service. Our own Capt. Jack also served in Nam. The simplest way to get a report from Dean, aka Slow Ride is to call him.
To join a group forum, its been so long I forgot how but only certain moderators can do that. Best I can tell you is PM Barnacle Bill, another moderator but with special powers!
StevenM
Location: Fredericksburg and Aransas Pass Texas Wilderness Ride 135

Post by StevenM »

PanamaYak wrote:Since I started this thread by expressing a WISH to see some recent quality reports (NOT posts, Milkdud) from Dean Thomas, it seems to have gone in all directions. I'll make my few final comments at this time and let y'all continue to duke it out.

Hoo-Yah and
Onward, thru the fog!
Thank you also for your service. My son just finished his stint in the Navy and I got to fish with him for the first time in three years last week.
Any time you want to get together and fish shoot me a PM and let me know. My wife and I will be down Thursday night again and planning on fishing Friday and Saturday

As far as the comment i have only been kayaking a year or so but lurked on the board while i was trying to convince my wife to kayak. I have meet some great people on the water and at the launch and have learned an awful lot. You always have one in every crowd though. Thankfully most kayakers are respectable
EdK

Post by EdK »

I post once in awhile. I will do one tomorrow or the next day. You do not have to be on facebook to monitor goings on with Dean. Scroll down and hit to sign in prompt and hit not at this time. These days he is usually asleep on the porch.

https://www.facebook.com/slowrideguide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

kind of off topic, but here goes:

The facebook TKF page has all but killed the regular TKF forum. I have a fakebook account, but cant stand the TKF page and have just recently quit even looking at my personal page. If it wasnt for my business page, I would delete my account all together!! too much drama and bickering which is spilling over into this forum as well as several others I visit. See this topic for a prime example!

There used to be a ton of traffic here with numerous new posts, well moderated, and extreemly informative. Ive watched it decline over the past few years to the point that I dont even visit but maybe a couple times a week and only then for a few mins because thats all it takes to read the new content! I remember a time, not too long ago when there were new posts almost every minute 24/7. so many that you couldnt read them all. looking back, there were 11 posts in the last 24 hrs!!! Id venture to guess that is less than 5% of what it was just 3-4 years ago! heck, even the GD forum is down to just a few regulars that post.

I guess everything changes, sometimes for the better, sometimes not, but I really hate to see this forum slowly going the way of the dodo.

I dont blame the guys like Dean for ignoring this place. As stated before, they are businessmen and posting reports takes a significant amount of time out of their day. It would be like investing the same amount of money on a billboard on a rural backroad instead of I-10 west between houston and katy. not a very wise business decision.

I sure wish I knew how to drive more traffic here, but between fakebook and the hundreds of "blog" sites that have popped up, I just dont see a way to do it. If someone has any ideas, maybe we can impliment them and bring this place back up to its former glory!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

FishingSETX wrote:kind of off topic, but here goes:

The facebook TKF page has all but killed the regular TKF forum. I have a fakebook account, but cant stand the TKF page and have just recently quit even looking at my personal page. If it wasnt for my business page, I would delete my account all together!! too much drama and bickering which is spilling over into this forum as well as several others I visit. See this topic for a prime example!

I believe FB is a big part of it. I am one of the few that does not have a FB account, so I still depend on this site to answer any questions or off any advice I may have. Along with he FB negativity, which I've only heard about, there are some regulars on this site that probably run a lot of newcomers off. (see earlier posts on THIS thread for an example...) If a person new to the site or kayak fishing altogether, the confrontational and degrading responses they get from one or two forum members are probably enough to turn them away or surely make them hesitant to post questions in the future. I can only speculate as to the motivation of the confrontational few. Whatever the reason, it's really a bummer to those of us who like to learn from this site and offer support and gained knowledge for those new to "the addiction".

I don't know if anything can be done to get the site back to the thriving machine of info it once was, but I still check in every day to read new posts and continue to learn. End of rant... and now I'm off to the classified section to ogle over kayaks I don't need and can't afford!! :lol:

Brett
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

..well.. you'll love this :wink:
i'm one of the six original members when we founded TKF
we were on three other sites that just didn't fit Texas kayak fishermen
so Richard Zewe created this site

..but this year i got kicked off of the TKF Facebook page
i guess some of my responses were considered too trolling :mrgreen:
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

While I am offended by the posts by people who are offended at others' offense, I will do my personally best to post as many reports and is humanly possible. I don't have Facebook either and would rather run a cheese grater between my toes and then sprinkle Tabasco sauce over them than have to read any of the nonsense and self-indulgent whining and bragging that occurs there.
Here's a report from yesterday:
Went out with my buddy to catch some fish on the Bow River in Calgary. We each hooked one, but each got off. Mine on a red San Juan worm, his on a stonefly nymph. The water was high, muddy, and full of weeds. A very high hippie lady wearing a black bra as a bikini top wandered by with her dog and beach chair to her "beach" spot to get some sun. She told us all about how she loooovvvvees fly fishing and just needs a good lookin' fella to teach her how. Fortunately, my friend and I are hideous looking specimens and besides, her hairy armpits scared us. We went back to Calgary to drink beers instead.
The End

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

CaptJack wrote:..well.. you'll love this :wink:
i'm one of the six original members when we founded TKF
we were on three other sites that just didn't fit Texas kayak fishermen
so Richard Zewe created this site

..but this year i got kicked off of the TKF Facebook page
i guess some of my responses were considered too trolling :mrgreen:
wow capt! Thats an accomplishment!! Bravo!

Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

Post by Big Kahuna »

Bring Dumas back and it will get interesting. As for the corpus crowd. There are groups that fish regularly and text is usually the way to go. I would just keep posting trips and then post how you did. Then you become the regular and folks will want to fish with you. For me my kayak fishing has been numbered because of my son. I have been teaching him the basics of fishing and wading. Next year we hit it hard kayak fishing. Baby steps. But if my past knowledge of AP serves correct. Shrimp should be moving from back marshes like nueces bay towards the gulf on the next moon cycle. Followed by a mullet run. Which means tarpon at the jetties and reds feeding in big schools in AP like brown and root or hog island. Then October keep dead shrimp because black drums start gathering and finally with the second good cold front the flounder run happens. Next it's time to buy Christmas presents. Have fun
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I never have connected with the Facebook TKF. It has a junior high school feel about it. And that's not a good thing.

On reports, people shouldn't really worry as much as they do that they are giving away secrets. There is only so much bay, lakes, rivers or marsh and there will be people in your spots at times whether you write about it or not. Chase reports if you want to, but it won't lead to making someone better at fishing, whatever that means, or make things more fun or rewarding. Don't worry that you didn't slaughter or clean up on the fish. Some of the best reports I've read are skunk trips or near skunks and some of my most fun outings are the ones I struggled finding fish. There are lots of good things to be found out on the water besides fish.

Fishing should be less Glengarry Glen Ross and more Life of Pi.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

I miss good ol TKF...

To avoid all the posturing, pissing, and moaning, I will just say that Glenn, myself, and a few others still post reports or videos about every few trips or so. We have been burned by it at times, so now we avoid some of the detail. We give the story and the basic "how," but not the "where" or "when." In the end we are all still fishermen. A lot of us find peace in a less crowded environment. TKF was created to share the experience with like minded anglers, but now that it has become trendy and the interweb sensationalist videographers and writers have taken over, many are going back to fishing with close knit groups of friends we can trust. Not trust when it comes to spots, but real trust, like "he would save my butt and bring me home no matter what" kinda trust.

Anywho, chill yall, it is just fishing.

Stick around long enough and folks will invite you along with them. Be a D or ask for everything and they wont.

Yall cant just expect some of these hard working guys, especially those running a business to just give you the intel to do everything yourself... How would they ever pay the bills?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk