(((((Bob Hall Pier - BTB *UPDATED*, July 24th Sunday)))))

Yakety_Yak

(((((Bob Hall Pier - BTB *UPDATED*, July 24th Sunday)))))

Post by Yakety_Yak »

(((UPDATED THURS. JULY 21ST))) After talking to Mike Flores this morning, BHP is as predicted on the websites. Saturday is not looking as good as Sunday. The swells look okay both days, it's the surf that is the issue for Saturday. Saturday is running 2ft - 3ft where as Sunday is running 1ft - 2ft. Sunday is definitely going to be the better day and doable as well. (((((THE EVENT IS GOING TO BE SUNDAY, JULY 24th.))))) Time and location is still the same. Even though the surf is going to be rough on Friday and Saturday, it's possible when I arrive to BHP that I may try and take it to the bay for those days and then be ready to hit up BTB on Sunday.

(((UPDATED WED. JULY 20TH))) Just letting everyone know that I will be making the call tomorrow between 8:00am - 10:00am for this trip. Mike Flores, BWKC cobia champion for 2015, lives in Corpus and will be making a run to BHP and calling me early in the morning to give me an update on things. After that call I will then make an assessment and post on here. I will make the call just above what I am writing. Saturday looks iffy for newbies but Sunday looks good as of now (5:30pm Wednesday). There is a possibility that I may not do the alternate date in August and simply move the day from this Saturday to this Sunday. I will know more in the morning. I will still be going up on Friday in the morning regardless of the day the event is on.

Hello to all my fellow kayaking friends. Just like last summer 2015, I wanted to do something again for this summer 2016 in regards to BTB kayak fishing for new people (of course intermediate and advanced kayakers are welcome). Two years ago in July I put together a BTB trip for anyone that wanted to get out to do BTB at Surfside. This included kayakers of all levels. It was awesome! We had a total of 34 kayakers that made it out that day. Many just went to the buoys while others went to the 5-mile rig. It was really cool to see that many yaks out on the water. Some of the people that fished off of the jettys at Surfside thought that there was a tournament going on with that many kayaks launching, lol. Last year in July I ran another one of these events except it was run out of Corpus Christi instead of Surfside. We had many more show up than the previous year. This trip was a huge success! I believe all the new kayakers caught kings that day and I would say around 70% of the new kayakers limited out on kings. On top of it all, even some of the new kayakers caught cobia. What an amazing day on the water it was!!

Since Corpus Christi was such a huge success, this year I’m going to do it at Corpus Christi again out at Bob Hall. The way it works is we all meet out at Ball Hall Pier and make our way on out to the standpipe to try our luck at smacks, kings, and anything else that we can get into. If you are new to BTB, this would be a great trip to try out. The standpipe is not far offshore (maybe a mile) and there will be plenty of support out on the water with all the kayakers that will be fishing with us. This is not a tournament. It's just a way to get all levels of kayakers out on the water and to have fun hanging out while fishing. In addition to things, PACK (Paddling Anglers in Canoes and Kayaks) will be doing this trip as well. PACK is a kayak organization that has been around in Houston for a very long time. For more details on this organization, here is the link: http://www.packtx.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The game plan is for everyone to meet up at Bob Hall Pier at 6:00am on Saturday, July 23rd. We will launch around 7:00am. There will be a short meeting before hand to answer any questions by anyone. There will be plenty of experienced kayakers there that can answer anything.

*****If the weather or conditions are bad this particular weekend, I have a backup weekend for Saturday, August 20th. Hopefully the weather will be good and we can all get out on July 23rd. If interested, post your name on here and I will add you to the list.*****

OKAY.... WHO'S INTERESTING IN GOING?

Al – TKF: bigtrout
Caleb – TKF: Flounderpounder15
Bill Belton – TKF: perch jerker
Blaine – TKF: Mr. B
Ben Watson – TKF: Volkswatson
Antonio – TKF: cayuco
Bill Emery – TKF: txvike
Alex – TKF: n/a
Andy – TKF: Apynckel
Ancil Mitchell – TKF: Tinicaster
Dave Spicer – TKF: 68rouge
Blake Colburn – TKF: Yakety_Yak
Ed – TKF: BigEd313
Elmer – TKF: n/a
Pat – TKF: LOOKN4REDS
George Hensley – TKF: Gwh753
Justin – TKF: n/a
Joel – TKF: jwmcleod
Jeff – TKF: Gotta Catch Em All
Doug – TKF: Razorback1985
Jacob – TKF: Whole_z
Keith – TKF: SaltwaterSmith
Kenny – TKF: WestEndTroutAssassin
Keith Townsend – TKF: Coastalonya
Karl Brindell – TKF: NOLA Yakker
Frank – TKF: chummin4chumps
Mason – TKF: n/a
Michael – TKF: apd448
Matt – TKF: TxTitan
Mike Flores – TKF: fishin Ninja
Matthew Davis – TKF: rattlesnake68
Phi – TKF: n/a
Ken – TKF: The Ken
Odis – TKF: on a mission
Ron Christensen – TKF: rac
Rusty – TKF: partyman
Mike – TKF: Yakntx
Scott Wiland & wife – TKF: Punchingclowns
Shane Wright – TKF: Shane Wright
Shawn Faris – TKF: 5x5
Trux – TKF: Foxfish
Taylor – TKF: Nervinedr
Marcos Enriqez – TKF: n/a
Greg Matt – TKF: n/a
Tom & son - TopCat
Ronald & Thomas Kent - TKF: n/a & teen Yaker
Walter Gonzalez - TKF: Walteezy
Carlos - TKF: F n H Outfitter
Asher Braunig - TKF: asherb
Father & Son - TKF: Fishead69 & n/a
Rudy - TKF: n/a
Tino & wife - TKF: cabrego & n/a
Matt & friend - TKF: whiskerfrisker & n/a
Jeff Herman - TKF: birdsnest
Tommy Mitchell - TKF: Cityfisher
Unknown - TKF: RudderKing
Unknown - TKF: Rotag
Ross - TKF: trsyakfish
Michael McMullen - TKF: roguecraft101
Owen - TKF: ATX O
Unknown & wife - TKF: cobiacrusher & unknown
Victor - TKF: Unknown
Unknown - TKF: wizard7889
Brad Valtierra - TKF: HobieBro
Unknown - TKF: hardygr
Unknown & unknown - TKF: Addisonsmithdt2016 & Unknown
Tony - TKF: knot
Unknown - TKF: bushwing
Unknown - TKF: TX-Kayaker
Unknown - TKF: Karyuu
Unknown - TKF: Wqasz
Daniel Pham - TKF: Living Waters
Unknown - TKF: Txyakster
Mark - TKF: mmikle
Kurt - TKF: kwrob
Unknown - TKF: Border Banger
Jimmy & Ray - TKF: shiftyjim & Unknown
Unknown - TKF: TxFisher96
Unknown - TKF: FishinClint
Unknown - TKF: flyakker
Mike Watts - TKF: Drifting Yak
Chris - TKF: ChrisC
Earl - TKF: Earl
Unknown - TKF: Catcherman
Unknown - TKF: aggiehunter00
Unknown & Unknown - TKF: YakAzian & Unknown
Unknown - TKF: DosChainz
Wayne Ferguson - TKF: reelmn
William Tran & Unknown - TKF: tmfreak & Unknown

So far we have 100 kayakers going. These are people that are going or are a maybe. Who else wants to go. Post up on here.

PS: The address to Bob Hall Pier is.....
15820 Park Rd 22
Corpus Christi, TX 78418
(361) 949-0499

PS: As it gets closer to the date, I will make a post on here a few days before (the morning of Thursday, July 21st) to let everyone know if conditions/weather is good or not so that nobody makes a trip for nothing. If things look debatable, I will cancel to be on the safe side. Please keep tabs on this thread as it gets closer to see if the event will hold up or not. As stated above if the trip gets canceled, I will reschedule on the date mentioned in this thread.

If you are new to BTB and this is your first trip out or if you have gone out but not very much and still fairly new to BTB, please read. A few things you may need to know before hitting the water. First and foremost, please make sure you have your PFD on you at all times. The law states that you must have a PFD in the vessel at all times with you if you are 17 years of age and older (if under 17, you are required to have it on) but if you flip over and the PFD is not on your body, what good is it doing you? It would be worth your time to buy a good quality PFD and not the $9.99 version at Academy.

Another thing I would recommend investing into is a quality VHF radio. There are so many reasons as to why you should have a radio on you when you are on the water BTB kayak fishing of which I will not get into. If you need to figure out a good radio to purchase, please feel free to call (832-588-7091)/PM me or even post up in the forum. There is a lot of good kayak fishermen on here that can help with that. If you do not have a radio, of which I hope everyone does, stay with a group of people while on the water. Safety is in numbers and the more people you can be fishing close to, the better.

Just a few items that people mentioned that were new last year that said they needed to get the most but they didn’t already have were (in no particular order but I would hope the radio was at the top, lol) 1) radio 2) gaff 3) fish bag.

When we arrive in the morning during the meeting, a few ground rules will be covered to make sure all the new people are on the same page. For the intermediate and advanced fishermen, you guys are good to go but while we are explaining things if there is anything left out, please feel free to chime in. I also would like to say that when you show up to fish, please make sure you have enough tackle. There is nothing worse than showing up and not having the correct tackle or hardly any tackle and asking everyone to borrow their stuff. It's one thing if you need a swivel but to borrow someone's $20 Waxwing lure, only to have a break-off and lose it, that's not good. Unless you plan on paying for that lure, it's better to show up with your own tackle. If you are not sure what to show up with, please ask on this thread. I can tell you for sure to make or buy king fish leaders (the key bait for these is ribbon fish or even live bait). If you want to make king fish leaders, check out Prof. Salt's YouTube channel (click on the link I have provided). He has a video in there that explains how to make king fish leaders and it’s really good. http://tiny.cc/3zdxby" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you do camp on the beach, make sure you purchase a beach pass which can be purchased at any Stripes Gas Station. From what I have been told, if you camp on the beach past access road 6, no beach pass is necessary (I will be getting a beach pass just in case. I know I will be back again quite a few times and I will get my money’s worth out of it.). I was told the beach pass is $12.00 which is good for the rest of the year. Hopefully we can all get out there, have a great time, and catch some fish!

For those of you that have any questions, please feel free to post on this thread, PM me on TKF, or give me a call. 832-588-7091

The launch spot and camping area is at beach access 6. From what I have been told, beach access 6 is close to the pier. This is where we will be at loading yaks Saturday morning, not the pier parking lot.

One last thing..... BHP sells frozen bait but not ribbon fish. If you want frozen ribbon fish for your king leaders, you will need to call the local bait shops in the area to see who carries it.
Last edited by Yakety_Yak on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 75 times in total.
teen yaker

Re: ((((((((((Bob Hall Pier - BTB Saturday, July 9th))))))))))

Post by teen yaker »

Can't wait!
Walteezy

Post by Walteezy »

I'm down! No way I'm missing out this year! I love it out there!! Any excuse I can get to go, I'll definitely use! It'll be me and my familia. (Wife and 3 year old daughter). But only I'll be yaking!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Great guys... I have added ya to the list. I'll be camping on the beach and possibly with the wife and kiddos.

Anyone else going, post up. If I don't already have your info listed on here, let me know and I will get it up. Many of these guys y'all see on here I had already contacted. Once I got a confirmed number, that is when I posted this thread up. As you can see, it's going to be another great showing (just like last summer). Bob Hall Pier, here we come!! :)
Asherb

Post by Asherb »

This is already shaping up to be a helluva trip
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Posting just to follow this thread.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Can't make it this year Blake due to my son's wedding but wanted to shout out a "BIG THANKS" for taking the time to organize this! Should be a blast! Have fun and as always be safe out there!
Fishead69

Post by Fishead69 »

Put me one the list, I may bring my son if his schedule allows.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Tombo.... thanks for following. If you can make it, let me know. Always glad to have anyone out.

Fishead69.... I got ya added. Welcome and I look forward to meeting you out there.
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Sounds like it is going to be a fun trip...
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Heatstroke wrote:Sounds like it is going to be a fun trip...

You coming down to slay the kings?
jwmcleod

Post by jwmcleod »

[quote="Yakety_Yak"]Great guys... I have added ya to the list. I'll be camping on the beach and possibly with the wife and kiddos.

Anyone else going, post up. If I don't already have your info listed on here, let me know and I will get it up. Many of these guys y'all see on here I had already contacted. Once I got a confirmed number, that is when I posted this thread up. As you can see, it's going to be another great showing (just like last summer). Bob Hall Pier, here we come!! :)[/quote]

Yakety_Yak, it's Joel...i do have a profile on here, so definitely put me down.

My 13 year old son Judge and I will be coming on our new outbacks that i definitely will have by this time.

We were sitting here and he brought up some questions that we need answered as we are new at BTB fishing.

We typically fish inshore for reds, trout, flatties, with our normal light tackle so we will need to get heavier gear and tackle, so i need your help with the following:

Rod
- spinning
- casting

Reels
- spinning
- casting

tackle...everything we will need from live rigs to lures...i know i am asking a lot, but we are super excited, so anyone that will lend a hand, please do so.

Thanks in advance for all of the help guys; we are so stoked for this trip!!!!!!! Whoop!
RudderKing

Post by RudderKing »

I'm in too
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Yakety_Yak wrote:
Heatstroke wrote:Sounds like it is going to be a fun trip...

You coming down to slay the kings?
I wish I could but it doesn't look like it's going to happen this year.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Joel... I got ya added on the list. In regards to the other questions, hit me up sometimes and let's chat on things.

Heatstroke.... Sorry to hear that you can't make it this go around. We will catch you the next go around. If you make it to BWKC this summer, I will see you there for sure.

Anyone else interested in coming out to this event, post up here on this thread.
Rotag

Post by Rotag »

I am in also
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Rudderking and Rotag.... I have y'all added to the list. Welcome aboard! :)
Datchew

Post by Datchew »

Blake
Was planning to help as a group guide but I found out I'll be over the pond for work.
So no can do.
Be safe out there folks.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Datchew wrote:Blake
Was planning to help as a group guide but I found out I'll be over the pond for work.
So no can do.
Be safe out there folks.

No worries buddy. Keep an eye out in case the current date becomes a wash due to bad weather or conditions. If that happens, maybe the backup date might be a possibility for you. If something changes, let me know and I will put you back on the list. Have a good one. :)
Josh623

Post by Josh623 »

361-939-6393...good number to save in your phone to contact the Coast Guard in Corpus. Remember to provide a good description of the distressed kayaker and a GPS position.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

I have it on my calender. I along with my son.
James
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

jnd1959 wrote:I have it on my calender. I along with my son.
James
I got you and your son added, James. Welcome! :)
roguecraft101

Post by roguecraft101 »

Im there.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I got ya added roguecraft101. :)
ATX O

Post by ATX O »

i might be in on that. luckily i am off that Saturday night and should be able to swing it for my first btb trip. and a big group wouldn't be a bad idea. safety in numbers!