Fishing Anahuac

Stephenmtn

Fishing Anahuac

Post by Stephenmtn »

I'm new to kayak fishing just bought one Thursday. I live around anahuac where's a good place to go around here.
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Fishing Anahuac

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

Stephenmtn wrote:I'm new to kayak fishing just bought one Thursday. I live around anahuac where's a good place to go around here.
Fort Anahuac is a good place to start. You can spend an entire lifetime learning the waters within paddling distance from the boat launch. Good fishing around that area.

I live just north of the county line, so im around that area alot.
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

4x4kayak2112 wrote:
Stephenmtn wrote:I'm new to kayak fishing just bought one Thursday. I live around anahuac where's a good place to go around here.
Fort Anahuac is a good place to start. You can spend an entire lifetime learning the waters within paddling distance from the boat launch. Good fishing around that area.

I live just north of the county line, so im around that area alot.
I agree with 4X4kayak2112 about Fort Anahuac. I think, although I haven't been there in a while, that it's probably still freshwater. When conditions are right, it's a GREAT place to fish!
There's also Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge. It gets pretty muddy when a south wind is blowing, but is a really good fall fishing shoreline. Depending on your paddling preference, you could launch your kayak on Frozen Point, and paddle south to the Rollover Bay and Goat Island area. I think it's only a mile or so across there, and I used to do it in a 12' kayak.
Smith Point was my go-to spot last year, just because it has shorlelines/islands that can provide protection from the south wind, and maintain decent water clarity. But like Fort Anahuac, it may be all freshwater these days also from the Trinity River flow.
Good luck wherever you go!

Brett
ThePopinCorkKid

Post by ThePopinCorkKid »

the water is still to fresh there.
Stephenmtn

Post by Stephenmtn »

Thanks for the info. We went to oak island yesterday with no luck (croaker on dead shrimp) and one rat red. The water is still fresh but I didn't think the Reds minded that to much, maybe I was wrong. I live just north of the Liberty/chambers line also in Devers. I'm the first property in liberty county.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I am certain that you will enjoy kayak fishing. But, as everyone has said, the d#$% water is pretty well ruined by all of the rain that we have had.

It's a long summer. You'll get'em. richg99
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Trinity is so fresh right now and has been for a while now. Other options in your area are Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge on East Bay, & Smith's Point
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Exactly... like the others have said, it's way too fresh up there right now. The River is starting to drop its rate at the Livingston Dam but it's still going to be a bit before it sweetens up. East Bay south shoreline and closer to Rollover will be good.. Keith lake might be an option as well.

enjoy your new sport, holla if you need anything.
t
Stephenmtn

Post by Stephenmtn »

I think I'm going to try frozen point next Wednesday if the weather holds out I heard it was a good place to start.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Frozen Point will have freshwater rolling around in there as well (less freshwater there than at Anahuac Park). The other factor to consider is that there are small bayous that pour out in to East Bay. That will bring fast moving water making the bay dirty in certain areas. Smith Point was brought up and that would be my recommendation.

Anahuac, as a few have already mentioned, is a great place to fish when the weather and conditions are right. Certain times of the year I will hit Anahuac up and I have landed some nice fatties out of that area. Hold off on Anahuac and wait till the right time. For now, you can try Frozen Point but I would think Smith Point would be a better choice.

West Bay has had better luck on the yak fishing than East Bay lately. I know that Anahuac is closer to you but if you don't mind the drive to Galveston, you may want to try that area.

Tight lines!!
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

You might consider the flats adjacent to Stingaree Marina. richg99
Stephenmtn

Post by Stephenmtn »

Thanks gentlemen I might give smith point a try instead. A guy at work said he used to put in at mucllen park (spelling may be wrong) and go to the hl&p plant and do pretty good I know the water is fresh there right now also, but have any of y'all been to that place?
KaptainKautious

Post by KaptainKautious »

Stephenmtn wrote:Thanks gentlemen I might give smith point a try instead. A guy at work said he used to put in at mucllen park (spelling may be wrong) and go to the hl&p plant and do pretty good I know the water is fresh there right now also, but have any of y'all been to that place?
You mean McCollum Park. And yes the fishing there is good year round when the conditions are right. Water is pretty fresh there as well right now. I normally only wade fish there. Walk down the road to the dead end and get in the water from the rocks. I've caught some monstrous bull reds right in front of the HL&P cooling pond right in the channel. Flounder fishing is good there sept. - dec. I haven't taken my yak out there yet because I'm not sure where to launch.
Stephenmtn

Post by Stephenmtn »

Awesome I'm pretty close to there also. This weather need to get right if not my fishing season is going to have to extend into my hunting season.
KaptainKautious

Yea, I feel you on that one. Liberty county has been flooded on and off since November.

Where does everyone launch their kayaks to fish Trinity Bay at McCollum Park?
Stephenmtn

Post by Stephenmtn »

I have no idea never been there. A guy at work said he fishes it (has a boat) and told me about the park. I just figured you could put in there. But I have neve laid eyes on the place, I'm going to stop on the way home from work one afternoon and check it out.
Stephenmtn

Post by Stephenmtn »

I figured there was a ramp he said he used to put in and fish there.
Stephenmtn

Post by Stephenmtn »

Never put in a yak but fished the pier a lot at oak island. They have a boat ramp and it pretty good fishing when the water is right. Red when the water is right. Always croaker. Double bayou boat ramp then the pier is on the bay.
KaptainKautious

The boat ramp at McCollum Park is destroyed. And there is a huge drop off.
Stephenmtn

Post by Stephenmtn »

Oh ok.
Stephenmtn

Post by Stephenmtn »

So it's not possible to drop a yak in there? Bulk head or what?
KaptainKautious

They have it blocked off with a sign that says no public access at any time. It drops off from the concrete wall to rocks and leftover wood from the docks I suppose.
KaptainKautious

I've seen guys on yaks out there multiple times just not sure where they went to put in.
Stephenmtn

Post by Stephenmtn »

Ok. That would be a long paddle from the marsh I suppose. But might be some nice fishing on the way out.
KaptainKautious

I'm going to do some searching and see where you can put in to fish the area.