Depth finder set up

chuck_miles

Depth finder set up

Post by chuck_miles »

I'm installing a depth finder set up and was wonder if a water proof box for the battery is necessary? and how much run time can I expect from a 12v battery?
WisherFisher

Re: Depth finder set up

Post by WisherFisher »

Finders aren't as critical as a TM but check the specs for the finder. Divide the amp draw of the FF into the AH of the battery.

I run mine off my 2x 35AH batts w/o a box, so can't advise there. For a TM/FF setup i used the total amp draw + 15% and use the sum as my calculated amp draw and run time for the AH of the battery
Last edited by WisherFisher on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C130

Post by C130 »

I bought my battery and box at ACK but it's really much larger than I need to just run my Raymarine. I can stay out most all day and it's still almost fully charged when I get home. I bought my son the Nocqua battery kit and I much prefer the Nocqua over my larger battery. It was actually just as cheap or cheaper after I bought my battery plus a battery box and the Nocqua weighs almost nothing. In my opinion the Nocqua is the way to go.
WisherFisher

Post by WisherFisher »

I was gonna get the Nocona Pack but it's only 4.4 AH and i got plans on running deck and underwater lights. You can get a 4 AH battery on Amazon for about $7. W'mart has a dry box for about $15
1455925231650254821238.jpg
Attachments
14559251106771663764800.jpg
C130

Post by C130 »

I like the Nocqua for the fish finder only but understand if running other stuff it's not big enough. It's definitely overpriced, too bad it's not more reasonably priced and they don't make one a little larger.
mnfisher

Post by mnfisher »

20160109_134353.jpg
20160109_134435.jpg
20160109_134526.jpg
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I use this...it weighs 23 lbs and is small enough to fit in a Hobie mid hatch with ease. It is a sealed battery and will not leak. You can store it on it's side without issue. it is sealed and therefore does not require a watertight box. It has a handle to carry. I can power my sonar, nav lights, green side lights, and interior lights. I only use 25-50% for an all night trip depending on how much I use the lights with the sonar. I have NEVER run out of voltage from a day on the water and I spend 12-16 hours on the water when I go. I sometimes even hook up a green drop light to attract bait as well. Great battery for the price and size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

t100

Post by t100 »

C130 wrote:I like the Nocqua for the fish finder only but understand if running other stuff it's not big enough. It's definitely overpriced, too bad it's not more reasonably priced and they don't make one a little larger.
What ray marine do you have? I have a uninstalled dragonfly 4 pro that I'm thinking about getting the Nocqua for power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

kickingback wrote:I use this...it weighs 23 lbs and is small enough to fit in a Hobie mid hatch with ease. It is a sealed battery and will not leak. You can store it on it's side without issue. it is sealed and therefore does not require a watertight box. It has a handle to carry. I can power my sonar, nav lights, green side lights, and interior lights. I only use 25-50% for an all night trip depending on how much I use the lights with the sonar. I have NEVER run out of voltage from a day on the water and I spend 12-16 hours on the water when I go. I sometimes even hook up a green drop light to attract bait as well. Great battery for the price and size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am looking at a similar battery that is only 18ah but also only costs about $34. Need to replace my Academy 7ah deer feeder battery that is starting to bulge after using it for one year.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8 ... PDKIKX0DER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;