What did you tie today?

Do It
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: What did you tie today?

Post by Do It »

StrykerDM wrote:Image

Tied these up for the fly swap. Bunch of little Rio Getter flies. This thing is irresistible to sunfish.
I have some wild turkey marabou that would really look good on a batch of them.
D.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Hey Do It. I use turkey marabou from a bird I shot last year with my bow and all my buck tail is actually doe tail, also from deer I took with a my bow.

Stryker. I tie my Drum flies on #6 and #4's.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Found out I'll be near some pike in May. Pike that eat fingerling trout. So I tied up this mess just now. Gonna tie some more too. My first attempt at an EP baitfish:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

That's big, Cuervo. What size/type hook? I've thought of doing an articulated fly using a section of fluorocarbon instead of the metal ones sold. Is the one you tied weighted? Did you make/use an EP brush or just lay it on? Sorry about the 20 questions, I just like to be nosy.

EP is one of my favorite materials along with Steve Farrar blend. Super tough, has a shot at standing up to those pike teeth. I caught a couple pike way back when in the Boundary waters/Quetico PP. Really cool fish and tasty too.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

It's a 3/0 hook with no weight, some silver flashabou, and plain fibers. I've trimmed it a bit more since snapping the photo. My pike selection I simple. Mostly bunny bugs, deceivers, and now some EP baitfish. Only ever caught them on Rapalas and other gear, so this should be novel.
I tie my articulated streamers with 40 lbs. mono loops instead of wire. We should start thinking about a fall streamer swap!!!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I've been feeling kind of crabby so I whipped up some mole crabs. I happy how they turned out. How can the whiting, sheepshead, and pompano possibly resist them?
Attachments
0227160803-1.jpg
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

This is the business end, hope it gets past the moderators.
Attachments
0227160809-1.jpg
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Mighty nice! Never caught a pompano!
Walker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Anegada (Caribbean - N18°44.683' W64°24.133') and Clear Lake City (Houston area)

Post by Walker »

Bonefish season is coming up. Mantis shrimp...
Mantis Shrimp
Mantis Shrimp
Mantis Shrimp
Mantis Shrimp
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

walker wrote:Bonefish season is coming up. Mantis shrimp...
160227-134746.jpg
160227-134508.jpg
Those are awesome looking shrimp. What is that craft fur, bead chain eyes, rubber legs...what hook is that and what'd you use for the body of you done mind me asking...
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Beauty shrimp, walker.
Are you a zombie? On "The Walking Dead," the zombies are called "walkers." I hope you're fully alive and not undead.
I tied some more pike flies today:
Walker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Anegada (Caribbean - N18°44.683' W64°24.133') and Clear Lake City (Houston area)

Post by Walker »

It is called the "Veverka Mantis Shrimp", named for Bob Veverka - the creator and a top-notch flats fisherman. It is a very easy and quick tie. The beauty of it is that it is relatively silent when it hits the water. Bonefish on the flat spook really easy.

I am 100% certain that it would be a killer fly for redfish.

Instructions here.

PS. I have been "Walker" for 68 years. It's my real name!
SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

Been catching crappie around the house so I tied up some #6 wooly buggers at a fly tying forum at FTU on I10 yesterday. I filled the box before I left!

StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

SurfRunner wrote:Been catching crappie around the house so I tied up some #6 wooly buggers at a fly tying forum at FTU on I10 yesterday. I filled the box before I left!

Nice ties. I'll have to go out to that tying event at FTU on Saturdays. Been looking for some people to tie with. I always learn something when I tie with others.
Do It
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Do It »

Haven't tied much over the last year but some of the posts on this thread got me back at the bench. It's amazing how much your skills can diminish when you don't use them. Like with most patterns I can only follow the recipe for a few then they morph into variants. From left to right is a crawfish / crab pattern, rio getters, cats whiskers and flounder candy and all their variants.
recent ties.jpg
D.
Last edited by Do It on Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

Ok ok ok - I did not tie them but had an order to fill so finished it today
Attachments
image.jpeg
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Dayum. Nice work Surfrunner, Do It, and Salty Bum! Nice to see all the great work the TKF crowd is cranking out at the vise and work table.
I'm still wrapping monstrous, bunny-based pike flies. They can do double duty for bass and tarpon too.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Dayum. Nice work Surfrunner, Do It, and Salty Bum! Nice to see all the great work the TKF crowd is cranking out at the vise and work table.
I'm still wrapping monstrous, bunny-based pike flies. They can do double duty for bass and tarpon too.

Nice looking

I have another to fill so I will start airbrushing the primer coat tonight
SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

One of my goals is to catch a jetty kingfish from the rocks. One of the anglers I learn from suggested to use a flash tail whistler. Here is my attempt at one.

This one is tied on a 4/0 Owner Aiki hook. I will probably tie them up a little bit smaller (2/0 hook) so I can get a little more distance and won't fatigue as quickly. I think I am also going to try tying some ep sparkle brush, instead of the schlappin for the collar to add more flash.

SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

StrykerDM wrote:
SurfRunner wrote:Been catching crappie around the house so I tied up some #6 wooly buggers at a fly tying forum at FTU on I10 yesterday. I filled the box before I left!

Nice ties. I'll have to go out to that tying event at FTU on Saturdays. Been looking for some people to tie with. I always learn something when I tie with others.
Come on out! I learn so much from tying with that bunch! They are full of knowlege!
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

SurfRunner wrote:One of my goals is to catch a jetty kingfish from the rocks. One of the anglers I learn from suggested to use a flash tail whistler. Here is my attempt at one.

This one is tied on a 4/0 Owner Aiki hook. I will probably tie them up a little bit smaller (2/0 hook) so I can get a little more distance and won't fatigue as quickly. I think I am also going to try tying some ep sparkle brush, instead of the schlappin for the collar to add more flash.

Very nice
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

SurfRunner wrote:One of my goals is to catch a jetty kingfish from the rocks. One of the anglers I learn from suggested to use a flash tail whistler. Here is my attempt at one.

What's the preferred method to handle kingfish teeth? A little section of wire at the terminal end of the tippet? A whole tippet of wire? Not trying to hijack a thread but I never have fished for species with seriously sharp teeth. I have caught a few Smacks and Bluefish as an accident, But I think I got lucky that they didn't get past my Fluorocarbon Tippet. I have had mystery fish in the surf part with my fly. Your fly looks nice. I'd like to experience a kingfish run on a fly rod. Got to be a thrill.
SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

I have caught Spanish Mackerel with a full 7 strand wire tippet. I am assuming it would be the same for Kings. Orvis sells these short length guards as well.

http://www.orvis.com/p/retwistable-hayw ... oCukbw_wcB

When we tied at FTU last Saturday, there was someone there with some tube flies which made me think they might be good for kings since the hook was positioned further back on the fly.
Do It
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

What did you tie today?

Post by Do It »

Blue Crab.jpg
Blue Crab.jpg (23.01 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
Blue Crab1.jpg
Blue Crab1.jpg (42.84 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
Blue Crab2.jpg
Blue Crab2.jpg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
I had to edit this, everytime I upload photos from tapatalk lately you can't view them from online.

D.
Last edited by Do It on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

SurfRunner wrote:I have caught Spanish Mackerel with a full 7 strand wire tippet. I am assuming it would be the same for Kings. Orvis sells these short length guards as well.

http://www.orvis.com/p/retwistable-hayw ... oCukbw_wcB

When we tied at FTU last Saturday, there was someone there with some tube flies which made me think they might be good for kings since the hook was positioned further back on the fly.
I like these a lot - i do have a question do these attached to your fly line - so it would be fly line these guards then your fly