What did you tie today?

StrykerDM

Re: What did you tie today?

Post by StrykerDM »

Is it super hair or maybe some kinda poly yarn?
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

Is it super hair or maybe some kinda poly yarn?
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I could contribute some 28's to a swap. They are killers under a terrestrial in a highly pressured trout water. I was already insane when I began tying them for trips to the San Juan, so I have no problem continuing the exercise.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

What did you tie today?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I like the cut of your jib, Kayak Kid. Your #28 insane flies are welcome!
StrykerDM wrote:Is it super hair or maybe some kinda poly yarn?
It might be super hair. It's pretty coarse stuff. I'll compare it to some of my known synthetics and try to figure it out. In the meantime, here's tonight's efforts. Some Western Coachmen.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446518802.190356.jpg
Don't be shy! Post some photos or else this joint starts to look like an ego trip thread. Like the "go read my blog and love me! Praise me!" type threads. That's most definitely not this. So show them ties!
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

The wife is working tomorrow night so I'll get some stuff tied up and post some pics. I've got some bendbacks lying on my "tying bench" (aka coffee table) that I need to epoxy as well.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Here's one of my better looking Galloups Hares Ear I tied tonight.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

IMG_1014.JPG
My favorite fly for Reds - "The Blind Chicken" - Captain Billy Trimble showed me this fly and it is my go to fly all the time.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

IMG_1015.JPG
I use this fly just as much and in all different colors and sizes.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I'm in a rut. I tie 2 flies in various colors. A baitfish and a slider. I used to tie clousers, but I have too many. I used to tie dead head minnows, but I like the new baitfish better. I've tied others too, but at the moment, the baitfish and slider have fueled my imagination or lack thereof.
Attachments
1103151536-1.jpg
1103151536-2.jpg
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Great sliders. How did you tie those legs, and of what are they made?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Kayak Kid wrote:Great sliders. How did you tie those legs, and of what are they made?
I got this yarn at Hobby Lobby. Thought it looked like it would make good legs. Comes in several colors. I like it because it pulses and lays up against the body as you strip it in. At rest it is light and flexible enough to wiggle. I know these are attractive to predator fish. Caught reds, trout, flounder, black drum, skip jacks, croaker, and a sheepshead on some color variation of this fly.
Attachments
image.jpg
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

I like that fuzzy yarn. I'll have to look for some at hobby lobby next time i go by.

I also like that blind chicken. Do you tie them in other color combos or does pink tend to do the best?
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

StrykerDM wrote:I like that fuzzy yarn. I'll have to look for some at hobby lobby next time i go by.

I also like that blind chicken. Do you tie them in other color combos or does pink tend to do the best?
All different flavors of colors but pink seems to be the one i use most of the year. The picture is a #2TMC 911 hook and I also use #4 and #6 hooks. When the grass shrimp are going I use the #6 hook and use white with some green color in it.
elnaco

Post by elnaco »

I'd be in for a fly swap. I don't have the skill nor the patience to tie the small stuff but can donate some redfish flies. Unfortunately right now I'm working offshore for an indeterminate amount of time so I probably wouldn't be able to send mine in until late November or early December.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I made a few spoon flies before the monsoons. First time to use the Clear Goo. I like it. The others flies I made last summer and still have not got them wet.
Attachments
Spoon Flies.jpg
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Nice toads and crab too! Never tied or fished spoon flies but I know they are very effective. Time to add another "tie to try" to the list.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Those are beautiful spoons. Please tell me how to make them. My spoons are Dr Frankenstein type creations.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

There is a good 'how to' file or link floating around here that Walker had for the spoon flies. I think there is a link to It on the creativefeathers.com website. CM has the precut spoon material that I used. With the Clear Goo you can make several in an hour.

The crabs, toads, and shrimp were for the vacation to Grand Cayman Island. I mainly used spinning gear for what little I fished. I can't seem to catch a good low wind day to try them hear.
preast

Post by preast »

I thought I recognized that mylar tape. Looks like we're using the same recipe. I went a little different direction on the prismatic tape based on some I saw on this site. These are the general instructions I use, from Connie Mack I believe, and put together by walker here on TKF (thanks!): http://www.nwmangum.com/spoonfly/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I cut my own using that template and it does do a little wiggle as it sinks. I like 2-tone to mix it up. I know feathers aren't that durable but they just move so well in the water. I'll never wear out these out with the little amount of redfishing I do anyway...

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Bluegill on mah brain and a fit of nostalgia in my heart. Solution: tie some #10 McGinty flies. Always loved these guys.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446933388.157386.jpg
I substituted squirrel tail for the quill wing since it holds together better and I happen to like the way it looks.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Really nice McGinty. I don't even know what a McGinty is supposed to look like, but that looks fishy.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

any ideas on the swap
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I tied a few and have organized my boxes, just in case.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

karstopo wrote:Those are beautiful spoons. Please tell me how to make them. My spoons are Dr Frankenstein type creations.
I will send you several of my spoons if you wish. They will make yours look like a pro tied them. But, guess what......., they do catch fish.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Kayak Kid wrote:
karstopo wrote:Those are beautiful spoons. Please tell me how to make them. My spoons are Dr Frankenstein type creations.
I will send you several of my spoons if you wish. They will make yours look like a pro tied them. But, guess what......., they do catch fish.
That's great sir. I'd rather catch fish than win any beauty contest. I will reciprocate and send you several wired sliders. They don't resemble any living creature except in a vague way but fish have found them to be attractive.