Colorado River Overnighter 9/19-9/20

jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Colorado River Overnighter 9/19-9/20

Post by jhb »

Sparrow, Warthog, myself and our TKF lurking friend ran a quick overnighter this weekend on the Colorado River east of Austin from FM973 to Big Webb (the larger of the Webberville parks). We put in at 6:30am on Saturday with an air temp in the high 60s, a low cloud cover and about 2-3' water visibility. We hit the water quick, all of us itching to scratch Warthog's 5 month itch (5 months without any sort of kayak or bass fishing). Now for those of you who don't know, Sparrow and Warthog are two memorable characters, who happen to be brothers, and are quite amusing to be around. This trip would be no exception, being Warthog's first kayak bassin' overnighter down the Colorado in nearly 6 months. It also happens to be Sparrow's birthday this Wednesday (I had to throw that out there) and it happened to be our lurker friend's first trip down the Colorado (hereinafter referred to as Lurker). I was just along for the ride, having not overnighted the Colorado in nearly 10 months.

The calming morning drew us quickly past 130 without a bite, working the banks and grass mats, riffles and eddies produced nothing, but Lurker and Sparrow quickly boated bass, Lurker landing his first ever Guadalupe bass. As we proceeded down the clouds hung out and kept us cool, finally burning off just before 11am Saturday. while a light breeze kept us comfortable floating along the shaded banks. Wind was minimal for most of the day (thankfully, this can be an issue on the wide Colorado) but water temps were a little higher than we expected and the flow seemed quick (the Colorado has a "pulse" flow this time of year, regulated by LCRA. Flow fell throughout the day, from 250 cfs down to the mid-100s). Water clarity was also stained, starting at about 2-3' near FM973 and worsening towards Webberville, better in slower areas, worse in flowing areas. This seems similar to most of the other rivers affected by the Memorial Day floods, especially as they transition from Hill Country limestone beds to Coastal Plains mud beds.

As we passed 130, making our way to Austin's Colony the fishing picked up for us all. Darker baits working best. I was having a lot of luck in black with blue & red flake (craws for me mostly). Others were also having luck on shallow, darker red cranks (brought up a single white bass, a few Guads and LMBs) but the majority of the fish were caught on dark plastics.
IMG_9318.JPG
A decent LMB, I ended up landing 3 just shy of 19", and I think everyone got one right around 19" also. These guys are football shaped and have some spunk compared to their San Marcos and Guadalupe cousins.
IMG_9322.JPG
Sparrow with a great Largemouth.
Last edited by jhb on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Colorado River Overnighter 9/19-9/20

Post by jhb »

I ended up landing my best Guad of the trip above Hog Island and no one was available for a photo op, so a selfie has to suffice.
IMG_9333.JPG
Then Warthog (out in front) yells, "Hey there's enough water to the right of Hog Island, let's go that way." He said he's only been that way once with decent water, none of us others had, so why the hell not? Well, it was work, but worth it. Baitfish and minnows by the millions. I think we each pulled out a decent bass from here but Lurker came out on top with his BFA Guadalupe bass (his second Guad ever! He thought he hooked into a monster, and well he did, a monster Guad).
IMG_9364.JPG
We ended up camping below Little Web on the south side of an island, where Warthog managed to yank in this beautiful and massive Spotted Gar (whose picture won't upload here, maybe he'll oblige). We enjoyed some good bratwurst that evening as well as a satellite spotting.

The following morning I awoke early, roused up the clan and we were on the water by 8am (yeah, we slept in, we had a surprisingly comfortable camping spot). We were joined by a large Barred Owl that morning, right across from our camp spot and as we paddled out were joined by snakes abound. We saw a few moccasins this trip and about 3 snakes on Saturday, but nearly 10 on Sunday, mostly the different water snakes native to this area, but it looks as if they know they need to feed now before cooler weather forces them to their dens. They're out in force so be careful. The moccasins especially blended in well here.
IMG_9350.JPG
Sparrow with another great Guad.
Last edited by jhb on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

As we paddled down Sunday the morning was another slow start (like Saturday), water clarity was off, but the sky was clear, so the day warmed up quickly and the bite turned on quickly as well. We all landed a few more decent bass before we took out in Webberville at noon.
IMG_9340.JPG
Myself with another LMB.

I didn't manage any pictures of Warthog this trip, but hopefully he'll post some up.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

Looks like yall had a great trip, maybe I can make it some day
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Good report. Put us right there with you in the river.

Didn't like the disn of the San Marcos bass . . . . they can fight too!

OK, there is a difference between the Colorado bass and all others in this area. They can be big and mean . . . . and fun on the fly rod.

Let's go fishing
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Thanks for the report jhb. It was a pleasure fishing with you as always. Glad to meet Lurker out there too; great trip. I didn't manage to get very many pics this trip. I was still in recovery from 5 months of no kayak; my head wasn't on straight. I think I'm back now!