My best Cobia to date!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

My best Cobia to date!

Post by Prof. Salt »

Kevin asked me to show up VERY early on the beach last Thursday to shoot some spots for TV coverage of the BWKC. I agreed, with the understanding that we would fish afterwards. At the end of the TV interviews they asked me and Collin (Kevin's son) to paddle out through the surf as they talked to Kevin, so we would be part of the backdrop. That meant I got first crack at the first rig, and a really solid 49" cobia ate my ribbon fish. :D Thank you Mrs. Cobia!

Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: My best Cobia to date!

Post by Mythman »

Glenn,
You are having a phenomenal fishing year..............Congrats!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I will say it again, "I just wish you would post some videos with lots of action in them"! :D
hookdem
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by hookdem »

Oooh, I was sure she was about to go buck wild a couple times, at the gaff and again when you first pulled her out of the water! You're gonna need a bigger freezer.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Hookdem, she suffered some "night night" stickage that was left out of the video. I was surprised that she tried to flip as I pulled her in, so she was given a second dose in the yak, lol.

I have given away almost all the kingfish to be sure there is room for all that white flaky meat in the freezer. :D
FishyRichy

Post by FishyRichy »

Man thats a big ling!! Excellent as always!! Just curious, did you make your gaff, or does someone sell the golf club gaffs somewhere? I have a good sized gaff for the yak, but the hook size is too small...I lost a good fish during BWKC cause i couldn't get the gaff in deep enough.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Nice stuff, Glenn. :)
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

FishyRichy wrote:Man thats a big ling!! Excellent as always!! Just curious, did you make your gaff, or does someone sell the golf club gaffs somewhere? I have a good sized gaff for the yak, but the hook size is too small...I lost a good fish during BWKC cause i couldn't get the gaff in deep enough.
I haven't been approached by a gaff sponsor yet, lol. I make them myself. Goodwill or the thrift store have carbon clubs cheap, and I just cut the head off, grind the base of a gaff hook down to fit inside the shaft, and secure it with 2-part epoxy. Simple, clean, feels good in the hands and fun to make. I don't like a float on mine, so I have to make two or three,so if I lose one it's not too big a deal.
hookdem
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by hookdem »

Prof. Salt wrote:Hookdem, she suffered some "night night" stickage that was left out of the video. I was surprised that she tried to flip as I pulled her in, so she was given a second dose in the yak, lol.

I have given away almost all the kingfish to be sure there is room for all that white flaky meat in the freezer. :D

Ahh, ok ok, some strategic editing there...put in just enough night night to keep me at the edge of my seat, "no prof, don't do it, dont pull her in yet, needs more pounding!" ... "Wait, that's it?" ... "No way she plays nice for the bump board, in the water in 3,2,1..."
not2shabby

Post by not2shabby »

"not cool" (pulls hook out of leg with pliers...) :shock:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

not2shabby wrote:"not cool" (pulls hook out of leg with pliers...) :shock:
BTB is not for the weak :lol:
Walteezy

Post by Walteezy »

Awesome catch! You should engrave the bat with "NIGHT NIGHT" on it. And I agree with the whole hook thing... Oh, a hook in my leg? Let me just pull it out with some pliers! Lol you're one tough guy Prof.!
earthshipman

Post by earthshipman »

Prof. Salt wrote:Hookdem, she suffered some "night night" stickage that was left out of the video. I was surprised that she tried to flip as I pulled her in, so she was given a second dose in the yak, lol.

If you don't want to freeze it I can come down and help you eat it fresh . . . :oops:
Way to go Glenn!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Lol, the hook had already pulled itself out of my leg, thanks to Mr. Kingfish. I was just pulling it out of my pant leg. :D

...and thanks Ken. I'm getting a lot of offers lately from helpful folks!
Sharpest

Post by Sharpest »

Where do you keep fish on your yak?
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

:clap: :clap:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I really need to do a video on setting up a Raptor for offshore. My fishbag sits right behind my seat so it's out of the way but easy to get the fish into. It rides on an aluminum frame and leaves the tankwell shaded so my drinks stored in that space stay cool(ish).
68rouge

Post by 68rouge »

Great fish.... Great advice
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

Very nice cobia, Glenn! Your bump board may need an extension, soon.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

fishinmachine wrote:Very nice cobia, Glenn! Your bump board may need an extension, soon.
Haha, any longer and it would get really difficult to store on the back. I am always looking for bigger fish, but my theory is that any fish (except tarpon) over 50 is a bonus fish in KW, so if it hangs over the board they can safely give me the points. Then I can use my 60" tape on the sand to give a total length of the dead fish. Tarpon will be photographed as well as possible and released, so I will worry about them when/if it ever happens.
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Sweet!!!
fiSh ZoMbiE

Post by fiSh ZoMbiE »

Nice fish :clap: