Lets See Your Biggest Ling And Kings

SharkBait >*)\\\><(
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Lets See Your Biggest Ling And Kings

Post by SharkBait >*)\\\><( »

thought it would be fun to show off our best kingfish and cobia before the tourney.

here my biggest ling from the yak 49 inches prof salt was there for this one.
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5648396D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5640EABD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
got one at 56 inches years ago from a power boat but that was a nice one from the yak, i have lost around 10 ling around 100 pounds in hour long fights most from the yak..

my biggest king from the yak solid 60 inches and fat i couldnt put my hand around its tail all the way and my hands are not small, ate a sh!t shad like it was candy i only fished it because it was the only sh!t shad i had seen that day, and well it works on bob hall pier if there are only a few of them they will eat them..
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5676E405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bad pic taken from iphone video

my biggest king to date, 56 pounds :shock:
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=563A5971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
got another big one that trip too at 58 inches..

wish i could figure out how to make the pic show anyway let see your personal bests
SlamminHammer

Re: Lets See Your Biggest Ling And Kings

Post by SlamminHammer »

Not my biggest but a couple pics I have from this past few weeks that I just pulled off my camera
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

what kind of bait do those things eat and how far out do you have to paddle top catch them?
Walteezy

Post by Walteezy »

Here's my biggest King. 49" from Freeport a few weeks ago.
Attachments
image.jpg
APynckel

Post by APynckel »

mmikle wrote:what kind of bait do those things eat and how far out do you have to paddle top catch them?
I caught my first 2 on ribbonfish and king leaders. We were out on the Bob Hall pier standpipe about a mile "offshore".
SharkBait >*)\\\><(
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by SharkBait >*)\\\><( »

standpipe is 1.25 miles offshore i hav done gps to it..

ling will eat a number of things
i have hooked allot of them on jigs. mann-o-lures or similar metal jigs work very well for them you just have to be determined and sometime so determined the eat it out of annoyance jig the water column bottom to top vigorously on braid for them, butterfly jigs work well too. i like 1 to 2 once jigs like mann-olure, and a little heavier in butterfly jigs (3 1/2 onces) a spro jig is a really great bait for them, i like the white color and dont use them under 1 once becasue the hooks will break on a big ling (i hav a picture of some broken ones somewhere..)
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5640DF59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
butterfly jigs..

these are the lures i use for trolling, all of them can catch ling
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5678E8A0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=56493DC9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
broken 1 once mann o lure. upgrade you terminal gear..

they will eat ribbonfish pieces and them whole trolled on wire but its moslty smaller ling that hit wire

when i fish bait for them i use this leader
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=5679EC26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its 80 pound mono leader, though i will fish 100# this weekend and a different hook J hook because i want a monster, i hav found when hooked on braid they are almost twice as likely to go strait fot he rig, on 40 or 50 pound mono they will leave the rig then turn around and head back to it in about 30 seconds..

so for baits i like to use tons of fresh watermelon shad cast netted off bob hall peir, i will fish them whole about 10-15 off the bottom while chumming heavily, you will lure the ling from the rig if your consistant about it, it might take a few hours though, its hard to fish too big of a bait for them, i use baits the size of my whole hand for them, and saw a 49 inch ling with about 9 inches of stingray spike in its mouth so they can gobble big prey up.
if i dont have watermelons shad, i will jig or sabiki bait from the rig and chum anything legal, the main fish i use it bluefish and ladyfish(ladyfish is a great bait in big chunks) for chum and bait, though most of the baitfish out here will work like the amaco jacks or bluerunners

live will eat live bait both on wire and mono leaders,one other thing fishing two rods like that below u for ling doesnt work for me i use one rod and hold it, you need to be readyf or when that rod bends triple..
Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

That is some great info. Thanks for posting that. Hope to put it to good use soon and have some of my own pics to show.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Walteezy wrote:Here's my biggest King. 49" from Freeport a few weeks ago.
What kind of boat are you sitting on? Very interesting.
GetBent
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GetBent »

Phish looks to be a hobie pro angler. Cant tell the length. 2012 maybe?
Walteezy

Post by Walteezy »

I already sent him a pm. It's actually a 2010 PA14. Only thing I've modded on it is the steering. It was night and day difference. The older models came with a crappy steering knob practically under the seat. It would be super stiff and almost always pinched the rudder line. The new steering places the handle on the side by the rail and turns so smoothly. All the new models come with it standard already. So there's no worries there. (Sorry, I know it's off topic from the original post)
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Here's one of somebody from yesterday....Nice Smack Walt!
Attachments
OI000152 (2).jpg
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

This is my biggest because it is my first - woohoo!! Caught yesterday during the BWKC at the rigs out from Mustang Towers. This took a full ribbon unadorned and unweighted just drifting on the north side of the rig. 39"

Great time - look forward to next year - but with some similar outings between now and then.
Attachments
My first Cobia
My first Cobia
DX2

Post by DX2 »

50"
Attachments
FB_IMG_1429129387899.jpg
tinhmaster

Post by tinhmaster »

the winning king
Attachments
winning king.png
winning king.png (65.93 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
T_Sad

Post by T_Sad »

[img]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/17 ... 062852.jpg[/img]

2015 BWKC Cobia division 3rd place (last place) 44.5" 24.5lbs.