Galveston Marsh Redfish!

TexasRedfishHunter

Galveston Marsh Redfish!

Post by TexasRedfishHunter »

For the past 2 weeks I've been fishing Pierce Marsh and some of the surrounding Galveston Marshes, and I have been pretty successful in catching redfish! They have been easy to sight fish in the early morning hours up against the marsh grass. Here's a video of some of the highlights from my trips!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05vvdtPxZHQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really want to thank this page and this community for all the advice and help on fishing the Galveston area. I just moved here in January and had never fished this area (always fished Port Aransas and Rockport). So thanks!
Tight lines everyone
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Galveston Marsh Redfish!

Post by Jedi »

Nice video. I've been wanting to fish that area. I normally fish the Sabine and Bolivar areas.
word-doctor

Post by word-doctor »

Very helpful. I've been working plastics much too fast.

Are you using 1/8 oz jig heads.
TexasRedfishHunter

Jedi wrote:Nice video. I've been wanting to fish that area. I normally fish the Sabine and Bolivar areas.
How do you do in the Bolivar area? I've only been over there once and had no idea what I was doing. Haha
TexasRedfishHunter

word-doctor wrote:Very helpful. I've been working plastics much too fast.

Are you using 1/8 oz jig heads.
Yes 1/8 oz jig heads mostly, if its heavier wind I'll throw a half oz.
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

I do decent when I fish Bolivar. There are several spots there I fish depending on the time of year. I fish the Sabine area more often.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

Can anyone recommend a good launch point into the marsh..somewhere I can park legally and securely? Any help is appreciated
TexasRedfishHunter

mmikle wrote:Can anyone recommend a good launch point into the marsh..somewhere I can park legally and securely? Any help is appreciated
For Pierce Marsh I always launch at Louis' Bait Camp. They charge $5, but its got a nice boat launch and is safe. I actually accidentally left my truck unlocked there once while I fished for a full day and nothing was taken. I'm not saying you can leave your truck unlocked, but its a pretty safe place. :lol:
pat 87

Post by pat 87 »

are you in an ascend kayak?
TexasRedfishHunter

pat 87 wrote:are you in an ascend kayak?
Yes, I am in an Ascend FS128T and I also have an Ascend FS12T.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

TexasRedfishHunter wrote:
mmikle wrote:Can anyone recommend a good launch point into the marsh..somewhere I can park legally and securely? Any help is appreciated
For Pierce Marsh I always launch at Louis' Bait Camp. They charge $5, but its got a nice boat launch and is safe. I actually accidentally left my truck unlocked there once while I fished for a full day and nothing was taken. I'm not saying you can leave your truck unlocked, but its a pretty safe place. :lol:
thank you very much for this info
not2shabby

Post by not2shabby »

Great video report. Thanks for all of the "teachable moments" throughout!
TexasRedfishHunter

not2shabby wrote:Great video report. Thanks for all of the "teachable moments" throughout!
Thanks! Whenever I started making videos I wanted them to also help out other anglers looking to fish these areas or this style. It's hard to find videos that explain whats going on while they show what they are catching, so I figured I'd make 'em. :lol:
quiet time

Post by quiet time »

Excellent video! I've never fished a plastic that slow - gotta try that. Thanks for sharing.

I've always had pretty good luck catching fish launching from Stingaree Marina on the back side of Bolivar. There is a marsh to the left along the ICW and you can also get to the bay through the cut. To the left once through the cut on the back side of the spoil island is a nice hard sandy area that can be waded or drifted. On the times that I have been the water back there is pretty clear because it's protected from the predominant SE wind.
shiftyjim

Post by shiftyjim »

Watched your vid on you tube. I also have the fs12t and its been a great ride. I've only used it in lakes around San Antonio, but I'm very anxious to try it BTB. Being your out Galveston way, have you ever taken it BTB? I've seen some pretty negative posts about doing so, but they were all pre 2014. Before the redesign. So have you tried it, and if so, how did it perform?
Sorry for getting off topic of this post.
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

X2 on the Stingaree info.
Wag

Post by Wag »

You have some interesting videos for a newbie.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I cant stand it, getting off TKF and fishing somewhere now.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Nice video with a great narrative! Very informative so thanks for sharing! :clap:
TexasRedfishHunter

shiftyjim wrote:Watched your vid on you tube. I also have the fs12t and its been a great ride. I've only used it in lakes around San Antonio, but I'm very anxious to try it BTB. Being your out Galveston way, have you ever taken it BTB? I've seen some pretty negative posts about doing so, but they were all pre 2014. Before the redesign. So have you tried it, and if so, how did it perform?
Sorry for getting off topic of this post.
Honestly it's got to be VERY calm for the kayak to be a good BTB Kayak. It was designed to be a lake/river kayak and it's great for bays and marshes, but my experience with it BTB is similar to the other reports you've heard unfortunately. It's not great. It has trouble tracking straight in the bigger waves and higher winds, and it is SLOW so getting btb takes awhile because it's not as agile as other kayaks. On a calm day, its good cause its stable, but if there are any sort of waves or winds then I would recommend not taking it BTB.

Edit: I'm not saying that BTB cannot be done in the FS12T, I think its good in around 5mph winds with flat seas no bigger than 1ft. Most kayaks are though when its calm haha I just don't think these kayaks are the greatest for BTB unfortunately.
Last edited by TexasRedfishHunter on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasRedfishHunter

Tombo wrote:I cant stand it, getting off TKF and fishing somewhere now.
Let us know how it goes Tombo!
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Great video, I really enjoyed it!
potlicker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by potlicker »

Wag wrote:You have some interesting videos for a newbie.
how you know he's a newbie?
potlicker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by potlicker »

quiet time wrote:Excellent video! I've never fished a plastic that slow - gotta try that. Thanks for sharing.

I've always had pretty good luck catching fish launching from Stingaree Marina on the back side of Bolivar. There is a marsh to the left along the ICW and you can also get to the bay through the cut. To the left once through the cut on the back side of the spoil island is a nice hard sandy area that can be waded or drifted. On the times that I have been the water back there is pretty clear because it's protected from the predominant SE wind.
:clap:
TexasRedfishHunter

potlicker wrote:
Wag wrote:You have some interesting videos for a newbie.
how you know he's a newbie?
yeah i was confused by this as well.....haha