Trotlining....

Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Trotlining....

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Ok, so here is my predicament.. The canoe is working out great.... The problem is the trotlines in the river... We're either snagging turtles by their toes, catching 30 lbs carp or having gar wrapped in the lines...

We've caught 2 nice and tasty catfish though...

I've used Catfish Charlie Blood B, Danny King's punch bait and some other dough bait.... I'm using #4 treble hooks.... Still very few catfish..

I used live perch with straight shank hooks and the only thing that happened was that the perch were all gone the next morning... LOL... I'm talking perch the size of my hand and they were clean gone....

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can improve my catfish to by-catch ratio?

Should I eat the Longnose gar?

Will Gaspergoo continue to be substituted for catfish during the fish fry?

Will Scott and Terry get married now that it is legal?

These questions and more need to be answered...
Attachments
catfish, yellow.jpg
catfish, blue.jpg
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Re: Trotlining....

Post by Bigrock »

I've told you a thousand times. :roll: CHEESEBAIT!

...or Bar S hotdogs, cut into inch long pieces, dusted with garlic powder and slow dried in the oven.
Barnacle Bill wrote:Will Scott and Terry get married now that it is legal?
No. We are waiting for polygamy to be legalized so we can all be together.......Bill. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Bigrock wrote:I've told you a thousand times. :roll: CHEESEBAIT!

...or Bar S hotdogs, cut into inch long pieces, dusted with garlic powder and slow dried in the oven.
Barnacle Bill wrote:Will Scott and Terry get married now that it is legal?
No. We are waiting for polygamy to be legalized so we can all be together.......Bill. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Man, I TRIED the cheese bait...

Now, I'll try the hot dogs and garlic powder... lol
teenfisherman

Post by teenfisherman »

Go back to the perch and use a combo of them live and cut up, I like a head, and about two one inch cuts right down their sides to make them chunks, throw out the tails.

I like 5 to 6 inch bluegill best for live and cut baits

Use some 8/0 or 10/0 circle hooks, you'll catch more than with the straight shank hooks!
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

teenfisherman wrote:Go back to the perch and use a combo of them live and cut up, I like a head, and about two one inch cuts right down their sides to make them chunks, throw out the tails.

Use some 8/0 or 10/0 circle hooks, you'll catch more than with the straight shank hooks!
Dude is serious here Bill. And right. I would downsize on the perch and hooks, but that's just on my creek and the normal size of my quarry. I would guess N. Concho would be comparable. And you're going to feed turtles...no matter what you do.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Bigrock wrote:
teenfisherman wrote:Go back to the perch and use a combo of them live and cut up, I like a head, and about two one inch cuts right down their sides to make them chunks, throw out the tails.

Dude is serious here Bill. And right. I would downsize on the perch and hooks, but that's just on my creek and the normal size of my quarry. I would guess N. Concho would be comparable. And you're going to feed turtles...no matter what you do.

I upgraded yesterday to 4/0 circle hooks, 5" and 6" live Bluegill and Perch and today I bought some cheese bait.. again... LOL

Of course, it's raining cats and dogs today so my trotlines will probably get washed away... lol
teenfisherman

Post by teenfisherman »

Good luck! Post some more pics when you catch them!

I've always thought running a trot line from a canoe or kayak would be kinda dangerous, especially with a big cat on the line! I'm gonna make some jugs to fish with eventually though
teenfisherman

Post by teenfisherman »

So... how's the trot line working out for you? Just curious. It seems kinda dead in here recently
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

teenfisherman wrote:So... how's the trot line working out for you? Just curious. It seems kinda dead in here recently

Well, I had to stop because part of the river runs through our neighboring ranch property and the part right by my house is in the state park and you can't trotline in a state park river if both banks of the river are within the state park boundary.

So, I'm going to find another place. LOL