6/6 HI Slabs Report

bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

6/6 HI Slabs Report

Post by bigfost »

In a word....slow.

A half dozen kayakers, maybe more, were in our group, but the catching was pretty sparse.

We had beautiful conditions. Light north wind in the morning, gradually shifting to the south, still light. Seas one foot or less all day, and green water.

I started the day at 14 feet, then moved out to 20+ feet, and finally back to 17 feet. I caught one fish at each location, ending up with two sharks and one beautiful golden bull red. I'm not sure about what most of the others ended up with, but from the sound of the radio chatter, my three fish may have been the most for the day.

No pictures. I don't even take a camera out with me most of the time anymore. After ten years of taking pictures of fish, I'm just to old and lazy now. :lol:
Al Bode

Re: 6/6 HI Slabs Report

Post by Al Bode »

It was a picture perfect day... unfortunately not the best for day tripping from Dallas. We bounced around between 10, 14 and 18.... and were skunked. We had a number of blow ups early, multi tasking super spooks while bait soaking. I have no idea what was in pursuit, possibly jacks(?)... but provided brief spikes of adrenaline.
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

I was a part of this group... It was my first BTB experience and an enjoyable one... Having "Big Fost" and "Mythman" in the outing was a special treat... Thanks to the guidance and advice of "Bigfost" over this past year, I was well prepared for my first BTB outing....!

I caught a large Stingray, which proved to be a great lesson in handling a large fish from a small kayak...!

It was a slow day...! But a great day on the water with friends...!
Cayuco

Post by Cayuco »

I was there as well. Rick ran out of rays so I grabbed a bonita and mullet. By the time I got to the beach, the word on my new HX300 radio was it was slow so I decided to follow Mike's advice from another post and caught a few pogies, and free lined them live. I soon hooked a jack around 9'. This crevalle was well over 35" (my kayak is 31" wide) and put a hell of a fight.

ImagePICT0012 by aaguillen, on Flickr

It was still slow out deep so I continued trolling my now dead pogies and had many runs but it turned out to be gafftops so I joined the group and eventually hooked a 4-5 ft blacktip with bonita under a ballon when I moved to 17' where another kayaker had hooked a shark - thanks for the tip!

ImagePICT0021 by aaguillen, on Flickr

Slow fishing, nice day and great group of people.