Calaveras lake 6-6

Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Calaveras lake 6-6

Post by Jimbo_47 »

First trip to Calaveras this year and I got there about fifteen minutes before the gate opened so I was a little far back in line, and by the time I finally made it through the gate it was already daylight.
Got to the launch and the usual campers were on each end of the launch, but the night fishermen were already gone. A couple other kayakers were already there, and I proceeded to unload taking my time to make sure I had everything. I then tried to catch some bait but it was slim pickins. I even tried the sure fire pond and came up with only a couple of perch. I finally gave up and had a grand total of four perch and two shad.
There was no wind and the water was pretty much like glass most of the morning was bright sunlight with a little relief in the way of a passing cloud or two but it was bearable when a slight breeze would blow now and then.
I anchored out from the launch in my old faithful hole in about 24' of water and I had one rod with a live perch and the other with my favorite bait Big Marv's.
Didn't take too long and I caught a 2 1/2 pounder which was a blue. Then I landed a small channel. After that channel that's when the fun began. I then caught a blue about four pounds, another that was about a twin, and then I had one about five pounds. The biggest one I caught weighed just under ten and I caught it while I was sitting there looking around with a drink in my hand, just looking around taking in the nice morning and relaxing, and I felt my rod against my leg and looked down at the rod that was bent all the way under my kayak. :shock:
I called it a morning about 11:00 a.m. since I hadn't had a bite in over an hour and it was starting to get pretty hot.
The fishing wasn't fast by any means, and the number of fish I caught (8) wasn't that great, but the size of the fish is what made up for it being slow and lack of numbers. Of the eight fish, six were big blues with two channels. Nothing touched the perch, and everything caught was on Big Marv's, fished straight down off the side of the kayak, about a foot off the bottom.
Those fish were allowed to swim away to fight another day. I still have filets from the March trip down the Nueces for those whitebass, so the cats got a pass today.
There were a good number of kayakers that showed up this morning, and best of all, no jet ski's! :clap:
It was a great feeling just to get out on the water again, and as always I hated to go in. 8)
holdem

Re: Calaveras lake 6-6

Post by holdem »

Thanks for the report Jimbo.
Remus

Post by Remus »

Great report. I may go this coming Friday am (if I can manage to crawl out of bed)

remus
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Hey Mike how have you been? Haven't seen you post in a while.
Also Harry, glad to see you post as well!
Maybe once all the stars and moon line up just right, the old crew might just meet up again on the same day.
It would be fun! :lol:
Harry, those redfish are calling your name! They are catching them pretty good. I can't catch them, but I've heard of some good one's being brought in. :clap:
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Jimbo_47 wrote:Hey Mike how have you been? Haven't seen you post in a while.
Also Harry, glad to see you post as well!
Maybe once all the stars and moon line up just right, the old crew might just meet up again on the same day.
It would be fun! :lol:
Harry, those redfish are calling your name! They are catching them pretty good. I can't catch them, but I've heard of some good one's being brought in. :clap:
Jimbo, Im waiting for you to start it off lol. Sounds like ya kinda did. Cant keep up with the grass and graduations this year. Wont be long and I will get with it again. Looking to hooking up with the group again in the cove. Power plant being shut down kinda ruined spring fishing at Cali.
Remus

Post by Remus »

Jimbo, this has a been a strange year. I've been unable to make it to the lake mostly due to the weather. I should be back on track and I'm planning as a a matter of fact to go this Friday am. Hopefully I'll see you at the lake.

Harry
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

It has been a strange year, and you are right Mike, because I can hear the grass growing as I type this. :lol:
Strange year is the truth. I fished the Nueces about three times and there was hardly enough water to float a kayak and now the river had been running at flood stage and the lake is full. If they don't drain the lake over the summer and fall, we should have one heck of a spring whitebass run! :dance:
First time out at Calaveras and it's already the summer pattern where at least some of the fish are deep.
I'm going to shoot for friday but with the grand kids out of school, I may have to serve on the entertainment committee. :?
holdem

Post by holdem »

Jimbo, I can think of 3 mikes around here: myself, yellow140t and castinforfish so you gotta say which one when you call us out. I've been in the hospital 4 times since Christmas with complications from pneumonia. My wife has been in twice with a ruptered back so health has kept me off the lake. Good news is I'm ventilating very well now and I am not able to mow another blade of grass in this lifetime (due to allergies), but I can fish all I want. :mrgreen: Soon as I get my wife on her feet I'm going to the lake. BWWWAAAHHHHHAAAHHHA!!!! :lol:
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

holdem wrote:Jimbo, I can think of 3 mikes around here: myself, yellow140t and castinforfish so you gotta say which one when you call us out. I've been in the hospital 4 times since Christmas with complications from pneumonia. My wife has been in twice with a ruptered back so health has kept me off the lake. Good news is I'm ventilating very well now and I am not able to mow another blade of grass in this lifetime (due to allergies), but I can fish all I want. :mrgreen: Soon as I get my wife on her feet I'm going to the lake. BWWWAAAHHHHHAAAHHHA!!!! :lol:
Wow, I knew it had to be something serious as I haven't seen a thing posted by you in a while, and to be honest I was more than a little concerned, especially after the last time you posted you were under the weather then!
I'm glad you weathered the storm, and the good news is there isn't a blade of grass on the water.
I'm having issues also, my wife and I but nowhere near as serious though.
I'm still having back issues and have a hard time walking without pain, but as long as I don't walk too far I can still manage to get that kayak onto my Jeep. That's why I went with one I could handle. For how long, I don't know, but I told the wife I may have to crawl but I'm still going to go! :lol:
Actually there were four Mikes at one time. I can't remember his forum name, but he fished about two years ago several times, and he had the blue older model Ride, always wore a cowboy hat. I know that Rick knows him because he's one of the original Calicatyakers.
Hope to see ya'll all out on the water some time, and I keep telling my wife that fishing is cheap therapy. :lol:
Redman27

Post by Redman27 »

I Miss those frequent Calicatyaker reports! lol