Sad read to a problem most of has had

MWS65

Sad read to a problem most of has had

Post by MWS65 »

I have had problems on the Llano when pulling through shallows. Had a land owner tell us we were trespassing because we were standing on the river bottom and that was his land.

http://www.rapidmedia.com/canoeing/cate ... river.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Sad read to a problem most of has had

Post by Aggroman »

That's some scary stuff. I have been fortunate that all the landowners so far i've met on the rivers have been good folks. Even let one of them practice casting with my fly rod as we were talking. Only once I thought a gent was about to get a little saucy with me, but changed the subject to how I hate the idiots that trash the rivers. Then I showed him a half full trash bag of beer cans I had collected on my way back just a few 100 yards downriver from his place.(they weren't mine btw). He shook my hand and thanked me, then we talked about the monarch migration and that was that. I never (or try to never) leave the river, but have heard of people getting harassed by landowners. The Devil's being the most notorious of the feuds. There are always going to be people like that, that believe it's theirs. I was told by a GW years ago, don't try and argue the law, it's not going to do any good, only making matters worse or get out of hand. Just move along and report it. It helps having the local GW/Sheriff or whoever number in your phone too. I hope I don't run into any of these problems, especially as far back in the boonies that I like to go.

Be safe out there guys.

Scott
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

I get to experience both worlds. It's knee-jerk, I know, but the natural tendency is to bow up when someone comes traipsing down "your" river. I know better and treat the folks coming down the creek respectfully, asking how fishing is and such. Even give a little advice on holes they are going to be encountering (if there is no evidence of a stringer :) ).

I've been yelled at, so I really don't want others to have that experience. The only time I've yelled is when someone jumped my fence and walked across my pasture to get to the fishing hole. :x

I think most encounters like Mike had are partly because of the landowners ignorance of the law, but I tend to think they willingly stay ignorant or claim ignorance falsely.
MWS65

Post by MWS65 »

The only time I've yelled is when someone jumped my fence and walked across my pasture to get to the fishing hole.

And that would have been a well justified Jumping the fence is just blatant trespassing and a complete disregard for other people's property.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

MWS65 wrote:The only time I've yelled is when someone jumped my fence and walked across my pasture to get to the fishing hole.

And that would have been a well justified Jumping the fence is just blatant trespassing and a complete disregard for other people's property.
x2. That's not cool, it's like walking through someone's house to get to the alley.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

25 years wasn't a long enough sentence for that idiot.
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

Ive been wondering about this on lakes, I would like to go to AH and pack up a few days supplies and really venture out without any worries of getting back before dark. I just need a place to pitch a tent and AH is all private land, which seems to be the case with every lake that I would like to do this on.
budreaux
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by budreaux »

Barnacle Bill wrote:25 years wasn't a long enough sentence for that idiot.
No joke, what kind of idiot says they have to protect their land with a gun? Protect the land from what, footprints?