Fishing and Friendship

Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Fishing and Friendship

Post by Aggroman »

Here's a post I did elsewhere, but thought you fellas might like it. It was out at Nasworthy last week.

*Disclaimer* Fishing, but not kayak fishing.

I had every intention of going out last Wednesday in the kayak. Everything was prepared Tuesday night. Fishing poles geared up ready, food and camera gear ready, trailer hooked up, crate loaded. Then I got a call from one of my best friends. He is a fellow yakker and canoe partner and lifelong fisherman. A few months ago he was involved in a bad car wreck that nearly killed him. He had broke his neck in four places, and one of the two arteries to his brain was pinched. They weren't sure if he would live, and if so, if he would have any mobility. It's been a rough few months after all the surgerys, but not only did he beat the odds, he's recovered amazingly fast. I think the good Lord isn't quite done with him yet.
So anyway, I got a call the night before I was to get on the river and he said he wanted to go fishing if I was free. "Well, heck yeah man. But can you?" He said, "Oh you know me, I'll be alright."
I knew it's still a no go with the kayaks for him, but the big boat is doable. Then came the scramble to switch everything around. Go get the boat, get it loaded, gassed up, trailer working, then change my gear from my river stuff to the lake stuff. A hundred miles per hour.
But it worked out great. We got on the water in the morning and fished all dang day. It started out 40 degrees but was 75 by 3pm and calm winds. We were out there for seven hour before we touched land again. There was a lot more talking than fishing, but it was great.
The fish were a little slow but we got quite a few in the boat. Of course, I let him outfish me just to be nice and out of pity. :roll: He said it may be a few months before he can hit the yaks, but we'll get on the water one way or the other, by boat or by bank. Great friendships that last a lifetime are far and few between, so when you got them, you'll do whatever it takes. Even if it means dragging my dumb bass boat out to the lake.

At least I still look like a kayaker. lol

Thanks for coming along,
Scott
MWS65

Re: Fishing and Friendship

Post by MWS65 »

So that's what you have to do to get the wind not to blow 15 to 25 drag out the big old gas guzzler. Looks like a great day on the water.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

:lol: Yeah, I thought about that while I was out there, and even told him, "man, this would have been a great day for a yak.". I finally get one day without gale force winds and i'm in the boat. There were times it was as smooth as glass. But it was beautiful out there and i'm just glad we got to hang out.
teenfisherman

Post by teenfisherman »

MWS65 wrote:So that's what you have to do to get the wind not to blow 15 to 25 drag out the big old gas guzzler. Looks like a great day on the water.
+1!!
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

I guess I'm slacking, 'cause I had no idea Kyle had been hurt. I'm glad he's recovering and that y'all had a chance to get out for awhile.

If I could grow whiskers on my cheeks, you would look like me. :)