my wallet hurts...

Mwhit

my wallet hurts...

Post by Mwhit »

Hey guys I'm new to the area originally from beaumont/port Arthur. My wife and I went kayak fishing at lake calaveras the other day and it costs us $22 to launch our kayaks. I'm not used to paying that much to launch a boat let alone a kayak. We enjoyed the lake but we will be limited on the number of trips we take out there due to the expense of it. Does anyone know of some other close by places to fish that aren't as wxpensive? I don't need a launch just a place to throw the yak in the water. I live in Leon valley/ san antonio.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: my wallet hurts...

Post by Jimbo_47 »

If there is a chance you would be going frequently check into the annual permit. You would save in the long run and then you can go anytime you feel like it and the permit is good for either Braunig or Calaveras. Just a thought!
As for other places I would say the closest and best fishing would be Lake Dunlap. There is a free boat launch under the I35 bridge in New Braunfels. Bass fishing is good and the lake is user friendly for fishing in the colder months before the skiers take over the lake. Then there is Canyon lake and most all the launches that are presently open are free.
The upper end of Canyon in the river is worth checking out also around boat ramp #11 at Rebecca Creek. A short drive up I10 to Boerne is Boerne city lake which is a restricted to electric powered boat and paddle craft lake.
Another good lake to fish with great camping facilites, but it's a little bit farther southeast of SA and that would be Coleto Creek. Choke Canyon to the south can be good at times but it's pretty low right now and the gators are huge, fat, and sassy.
Those would be my choices for this time of year.
Remus

Post by Remus »

Jimbo, you are full of ...information!

REMUS
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Remus wrote:Jimbo, you are full of ...information!

REMUS
Yep, I need to be fishin instead of being on this d yum computer! :lol:
RxForFishing

Post by RxForFishing »

Try the medina river in castroville. I've paddled and caught some nice sized bucket mouths there. It is nice there no one on the river the last few times I've gone. Just me and a buddy of mine the whole time there.
Mwhit

Post by Mwhit »

Thanks guys.
Remus

Post by Remus »

Keep it coming. Any information about local fishing places, tackle, bait, etc. is always welcomed.

Remus
Redfish..Yum

Post by Redfish..Yum »

Medina River in Castroville?? That is right down the road from me and didn't think it was deep enough. Where do you launch and will a Hobie PA be able to get around?
RxForFishing

Post by RxForFishing »

20140902_183500.jpg
I launched from the park off 90. Its a good walk to the river so a cart would be great. I was in a drifter at the time and it was a tough haul without one. This was one I caught there.
Redfish..Yum

Post by Redfish..Yum »

Went check out the medina river to see if it would be possible to launch a PA. Landmark Inn park was closed for construction with a chain link fence around the parking lot. Went across the river to the other park and no way could you get a kayak down that bank. Looks like that idea is out of the picture for now.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

image.jpg
This one came from the medina in castroville.

You can launch at regional park in castroville and fish upstream a good ways. You can also launch at Koenig park and have a lot of open water to fish.