A Peaceful Day Off

Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

A Peaceful Day Off

Post by Aggroman »

Posted in Freshwater, but posted here for you guys that may not go over there. Plus the new guys need to know what a studly, awesome, and handsome kayaker I am. :roll: :lol:

So here ya go...

I'm one of those people who seem to have a hundred things going at once. I'm usually getting pulled in every direction and sometimes it can be a little overwhelming. About 10% is actual work related, and the other 90% is things i'm passionate about like photo/video work, designing stuff, kayaking related things, etc. I do it to myself, so I don't complain. But out of all the things I really needed to get done yesterday, fishing wasn't on the list. So the night before I tried to figure out a game plan for the day and how I can get it all done.

Then it hit me...to heck with all that stuff, I need to get on the water. Plus I could test out a few things I need to review in the future.

So off I went. I dropped the kids off at school and headed to the river. It was a little chilly... well 40, which is chilly for Texas. I was surprised at how thick the fog was as I made the twenty mile trek to the drop in. It was a pretty cool start for a trip. I got there at 8:20 and began to unload as well as take pictures of the area blanketed in the morning fog. It didn't last too long, but made for some fun photos.

What was better than anything, was there was no wind. And around these parts, that's a very rare thing.

I slowly made my way down river, casting along the banks and trees, and pretty much just enjoying the scenery. Since I wasn't fighting the wind like I always do, I was able to play around a little more with the camera when I saw things that looked cool.

Even the deer where taking it easy. They didn't see or hear me paddle up withing 50 feet of the group, but when I tried to get the camera out of the case it spooked them. One did turn around for a quick look, and then vanished.

Once I dropped down my first hurdle, I figured it was time it get the fly rod out and test out some new poppers I built a while back. They worked great and held together through a few terrible casts, until I got my rhythm. lol

Hurdle #1

They made a nice sound as they plugged along.

The fishing was real slow, but so was I, so it didn't really matter. I was having a great time. I was able to land four in the time I was out. Two were nice, and the other two were...well, small. I was so glad just to get on the water, catching fish was just a bonus.

My wife told me no shave November is over, and she refused to believe me when I told her they had extended this year. This little dude had some odd spots on him. They looked as if that's how he was made, not a sick kind of thing, but what the heck do I know.

By about 11, the sun was out and warming everything up. I started shedding layers in hopes of not sweating so much, it is December you know. The wind was still at rest. I went about everything I did very quietly, so as to not wake the sleeping 30mph breezes.

Overall, another absolutely beautiful day on the water. I was off the water and back home early afternoon as the temperatures peaked at 66 degrees. I have noticed that the more beautiful the day, the less fish I catch. But yet I leave with a more relaxed and focused mind. Whereas some days I may catch 25 fish, but fight 35mph wind and come off the water with a "yeah, it was ok" attitude. I guess i'm glad i'm not just in it for the fish.

Thanks for coming along,
Scott

Last edited by Aggroman on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmYAK4fish

Re: A Peaceful Day Off

Post by nmYAK4fish »

Nice pics, I love this time of year. I'm going to have to haul my yak down there and fish the San Angelo area. I really like the urban fisheries, and it looks like San Angelo has a lot of that type of stuff. Thanks for sharing!
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Thanks. It's a beautiful area, although it is a lot of work just to relax. :lol: (it's worth it though)

I just noticed something. Check my avatar, that's my boy back in 09 with a smallie I caught. That's the exact spot in the photo of my kayak and dam right behind it. I was just facing the other way. I caught the smallmouth on a fly rod and is my biggest to date at 4lbs. It's only the 3rd i've caught on this river in the last 10 years.
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

Wow that's an amazing smallie for any river or lake let alone one that was most likely never stocked with them. And I bet you she's still there close, it's amazing how you can fish the same stream so many times and never see everything it has underneath no matter how small it is or short it is, I love it!
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

nmYAK4fish wrote:Wow that's an amazing smallie for any river or lake
I don't think that is a small mouth bass, if that is what you meant with the smallie?
nmYAK4fish

Post by nmYAK4fish »

Thinwater skinner wrote:
nmYAK4fish wrote:Wow that's an amazing smallie for any river or lake
I don't think that is a small mouth bass, if that is what you meant with the smallie?
Oh really?! My bad.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

I've got better photos of it. I had to ask after we got back because I had no idea at what it was. (that was the first one I had ever caught like that) After showing the photo around, everyone said it was a smallmouth, including the GW. I'll see if I can find those pics and post up a bigger one.

Here is another on from last year. Same river, just a different stretch. Same thing, everyone said it was a smallie. I don't know....I just catch the fish. :lol:

Scott
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Aggroman wrote:I've got better photos of it. I had to ask after we got back because I had no idea at what it was. (that was the first one I had ever caught like that) After showing the photo around, everyone said it was a smallmouth, including the GW. I'll see if I can find those pics and post up a bigger one.

Here is another on from last year. Same river, just a different stretch. Same thing, everyone said it was a smallie. I don't know....I just catch the fish. :lol:

Scott
Unfortunately, a pic of Scott holding his "smallie" is all too common. :shock: :D
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

:evil: I don't have to take this abuse from you people!!! I'm outta here. :arrow:

Nevermind, it's safer over here than it is with Bill on facebook.

:D
chi-djm

Post by chi-djm »

That's a smallie if I've ever seen one... and I cut my teeth on smallies.

I hear they have spots down this way, but I don't think that's a spot either. Def not a guad.

Which is good, b/c smallmouths are the best bass IMO.

That creek is San Angelo way ya say? I need to do some exploring.
morgangler

Post by morgangler »

Gorgemous pics, Scott!! Thanks for TAKING us along. Next best thing to being there. Good-looking poppers, BTW.

Keith
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Thanks Keith. I've been in your neck of the woods the last week. My wife's mom is in ICU at Hendricks, and she's up there with her since last Wednesday. I have to work, so I make the daily trip up there and back in the evenings. No fishing or fun, and i'm sick of that road there. Just praying she makes it through Christmas. It's been a long dang week, and i'm wishing for another peaceful day off about now.

Scott
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

I'm saying some prayers for you and your family Scott. Be careful with all the driving.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Thanks Terry, we appreciate that. 5 trips in 6 days will get you tired of that road real quick. lol. Jamie came back last night with me, so we'll do the xmas thing today and then head back tomorrow. Her mom hasn't shown much signs of improvement, or as they called it "plateaued", and still requires a ventilator to breathe. It's been tough on the family, but this could go on for weeks or months, and then there's the "what if's" if she pulls through and the aftercare. Thanks again for the prayers.
texstrummer

Post by texstrummer »

Aggroman wrote:Thanks. It's a beautiful area, although it is a lot of work just to relax. :lol: (it's worth it though)

I just noticed something. Check my avatar, that's my boy back in 09 with a smallie I caught. That's the exact spot in the photo of my kayak and dam right behind it. I was just facing the other way. I caught the smallmouth on a fly rod and is my biggest to date at 4lbs. It's only the 3rd i've caught on this river in the last 10 years.

Is that at christoval?
morgangler

Post by morgangler »

How's your mo-in-law, Scott? Sorry for being out of pocket the last week; didn't see your post until this morning about her. Rita & I will keep your family up front in our prayers.

Tried to do some canoe fly fishing on Guadalupe this week. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting the loops I wanted. Felt like a lot friction. Checked the guides to make sure the line was strung right, & discovered my problem.......ice crystallizing my guides. :roll:
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

texstrummer - yes, christoval

morgangler wrote:How's your mo-in-law, Scott? Sorry for being out of pocket the last week; didn't see your post until this morning about her. Rita & I will keep your family up front in our prayers.

Tried to do some canoe fly fishing on Guadalupe this week. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting the loops I wanted. Felt like a lot friction. Checked the guides to make sure the line was strung right, & discovered my problem.......ice crystallizing my guides. :roll:
Thanks Keith. She was showing some encouraging signs, knodding her head, smiling, etc., then she just crashed and with the current DNR (do not resusitate) they put her on a Bipap (helps push air in lungs) and called in hospice. She passed away last Sunday with the whole family by her bedside. The service was Wednesday. It took us 4 hours to get to Abilene with all the ice. Hwy 83/84 nearly caused us a few more funerals, but we finally made it. We had to head back Thursday with the same problem. 83/84 was an absolute nightmare, it took us an hour to get to Tuscola. It was a bit easier after that though. It's been a tough week and we're trying to get back to a regular routine. If you happen to have any extra prayers laying around, my wife could really use them.

Oh, and fly fishing in ice doesn't sound like a fun time. lol

Scott
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

I will certainly keep Jamie and the family in my prayers.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Bigrock wrote:I will certainly keep Jamie and the family in my prayers.
Thanks Terry.
morgangler

Post by morgangler »

We will certainly continue to keep your family in our prayers. We just lost lost a neighbor right before Christmas who had spent his last 3 wks. in the hospice wing at Hendricks. They do such a special work there.....

I just showed Rita your pics and she's wanting to know if she can come fish with you.