Soft Plastic Color Selection Advice

Fishbone61

Soft Plastic Color Selection Advice

Post by Fishbone61 »

Never have fished much with soft plastics, I want to keep it simple when trying to select colors for various conditions. Want to choose a couple of colors of dark, bright and natural colors. Can anyone recommend an specifics for each of those categories?

My thoughts:

Dark: Morning Glory or Red Shad

Bright: Chartreuse

Natural: Bone, Pumpkinseed, Chicken on the Bone
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Soft Plastic Color Selection Advice

Post by Jedi »

That's a good list, only instead of morning glory I use Texas roach/goldrush. It's black with gold flakes.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Yep a good list. Don't forget strawberry w/white tail cocohoe minnows and blue moon/pepper chart tail, white w/pink tail and chicken on a chain are good too.
I use most of the colors you have in TTF Troutkillers plus the white w/chart tail.I also have red killers in plum/chart and killer flats minnows in mumpy glow that work well.
There is a color chart and a good video on TTF about using soft plastics :D
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Those are all good. Simplify it a little. It's your confidence that will make the difference. if you are always wondering "well maybe I should swtich to this or that color" it's hard to fish confidently.

Dark Day - Dark Bait
Light Day - Light Bait
Clear Water Natural Color
Dirty Water - Un Natural Color

Dark day with clear water - Tx Roach
Dark Day Muddy water - Red Shad or Morning Glory

Light Day with clear water - bone, bone diamond or opening night
Light Day with Dirty water - Char

Here's what I would do though
To start out either have Pumpkinseed Char, Chk on the Chain, and maybe Tx Roach... if you can't get bit on those 3... then you are not in fish.

Work more on being in fish. Learn to read the water and look for sign and go to the sign where it's over the right structure.

Thats what we cover in the TroutSupport.com DVD's, they'll make every lure color work like magic. This summer I was fishing dirty LLM water in a bunch of fish...I ran out of dark baits near sundown.. caught a couple on near clear and pearl in muddy water in dark conditions... but that will only work in fish. Go get em'!
Fishbone61

Post by Fishbone61 »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Those are all good. Simplify it a little. It's your confidence that will make the difference. if you are always wondering "well maybe I should swtich to this or that color" it's hard to fish confidently.

Dark Day - Dark Bait
Light Day - Light Bait
Clear Water Natural Color
Dirty Water - Un Natural Color

Dark day with clear water - Tx Roach
Dark Day Muddy water - Red Shad or Morning Glory

Light Day with clear water - bone, bone diamond or opening night
Light Day with Dirty water - Char

Here's what I would do though
To start out either have Pumpkinseed Char, Chk on the Chain, and maybe Tx Roach... if you can't get bit on those 3... then you are not in fish.

Work more on being in fish. Learn to read the water and look for sign and go to the sign where it's over the right structure.

Thats what we cover in the TroutSupport.com DVD's, they'll make every lure color work like magic. This summer I was fishing dirty LLM water in a bunch of fish...I ran out of dark baits near sundown.. caught a couple on near clear and pearl in muddy water in dark conditions... but that will only work in fish. Go get em'!

Thank you, great information.
Angler Runk

Post by Angler Runk »

One color I have not seen mention that has worked for me on a light day muddy water conditions is electric chicken or salty chicken (pink with a gold underbelly), this is a good alternative bright bait if you can not find chartreuse.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Angler Runk wrote:One color I have not seen mention that has worked for me on a light day muddy water conditions is electric chicken or salty chicken (pink with a gold underbelly), this is a good alternative bright bait if you can not find chartreuse.
Another good one that I like in Clear water especially in Cold weather is Golden Bream. I rarely see this color posted up though.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

All great colors, dark for darker days and light for brighter days. When trout are feeding doesn't matter what color you are throwing.