Fly Tie Kits: Advice and Information

flyakker

Fly Tie Kits: Advice and Information

Post by flyakker »

I've peeked at the kit that Bass Pro has, and plan on scooting over to Orvis to see what they have (that is my excuse to run over there). I'm going to check to see if Fish & Tackle Unlimited has anything. I work right by the one on I-10. All opinions welcome. Advice is appreciated. Sarcastic snide remarks are expected, not not welcome, nor appreciated. LoL :horse:
Puck

Re: Fly Tie Kits: Advice and Information

Post by Puck »

I don't advise buying kits, but buy the best tools you can afford:
1. Vice
2. Bobbin
3. Scissors
4. Add as needed.

, and then the materials to tie the 3 flies you plan to fish.

Next time buy materials for 3 completely different flies. Do this a couple of more times and you'll have a collection that will allow you to tied hundreds of patterns.

Puck
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I totally agree with Puck. There is all kinds of info about fly tying on internet. A little pre purchase study would go a long way.

FTU carries some very good equipment and a sales force that will be more than happy to help you select the items you need to begin. You might want to look at a line of made-in-India knock off vices. They are more than adequate and cost much less than 'pro' models.

Have fun, and, if on a limited budget, look at places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels for fly tying materials.
Do It
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Do It »

Puck and KK I have to agree with. Anything you want to tie probably has a youtube video or instructions how to somewhere on the web if not on this site.
Another thing I would recommend is look up your local IFFF chapter (every good size town usually has one) and go sit in on one of their monthly tying nights. They're always willing to help plus you will get to see many different vises and tools in use that may help you decide what would work for you.

It's a lot of fun and very addictive but if your doing it because you think it would be cheaper to tie your own instead of buying DON'T FOOL YOURSELF.
D.
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

I agree with what the others have said....

but....

I ended up buying a bass pro shops kit for bass. I had gift cards, and it's just how it worked out. I am happy with it (though never using a better vice I may be ignorant) and for the tying I do (mostly for bream/pond bass) it's sufficient. I tied up some flies on it that allowed me to catch Peacock Bass while on my honeymoon, so until it craps out it's good enough for me. With that said, everything is looser than it was when I bought it, so it will be crapping out soon I guess! The dvd that comes with it is ok, about as good as youtube videos. I replaced the bobbin as the one it came with kept cutting the thread. I learned on the included materials and now buy materials for ties as I need them. For somebody like me, who ties MAYBE once or twice a month, it made sense.