Sonoran Hot Dogs

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Sonoran Hot Dogs

Post by Yaklash »

I thought I posted this already, but couldn't find it. Every time I make these, I wonder why I seem to go 6 months without their awesomeness.

I think it's important to get bolillos. Most of us in Texas have access to Mexican bakeries and they always have them. But if not you can use the subway roll, or a French roll, but they won't be as good as fresh baked bolillos.

Prep/Ingredients:
All beef franks - regular size is preferred so you can get a good bacon wrap with one slice
Thin sliced bacon - Mesquite smoked is best
Refried beans (warm in the microwave before assembly starts)
Guacamole
Shredded Monterey Jack (or crumbled queso fresco)
Diced onions
Tomatoes chopped and seeded
(Pico de Gallo is an easy sub for the tomatoes and onion)
Salsa Verde
Crema or (Sour cream mixed with Tabasco sauce and lemon juice)
Bolillos - 3" longer than your uncooked hot dogs

Additional Condiments: Basically anything you may have ever liked on Mexican or Tex-Mex food is fair game. I have tried and loved chili con carne, that pickled cabbage my sister always seems to have for Gallo Pinto, and pickled peppers and carrots.

Directions:
Spiral-Wrap one slice of bacon around each hot dog, using a toothpick if necessary to keep it from unraveling (but be damn sure to remove the toothpicks before serving). Grill or broil ( or I've even cooked a few in a non stick skillet) the hot dogs, turning with tongs so that the bacon is browned nicely on all sides, 6-8 minutes. Meanwhile cut a pocket in the rolls forming a boat and toast under a broiler for 4 to 5 minutes, being careful not to burn.

Smear the inside of the bolillo on one side w/ refried beans and on the other side w/ guacamole. Sprinkle with cheese and then put the bacon wrapped hot dog into the bun. Then add the tomatoes and onions (or Pico de Gallo), salsa and top with a drizzle of crema.

The variations of condiments are endless. The more you have to offer your guests the better.
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Sonoran Hot Dogs

Post by Alsatian »

I think I just had a heart attack reading this.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Alsatian wrote:I think I just had a heart attack reading this.
Really? Just reading about a single all beef frank, 1 piece of bacon, a little schmear of avocado and some sour cream gives you a heart attack?

Then what will this photograph do to your cholesterol?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.48 KiB) Viewed 40002 times
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

I have a degree in Agriculture and I do not, will not ever eat a hot dog. Doesn't matter if it's all beef or not. They use every part of the beef. The hotdogs get the Moo.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Alsatian wrote:I have a degree in Agriculture and I do not, will not ever eat a hot dog. Doesn't matter if it's all beef or not. They use every part of the beef. The hotdogs get the Moo.
Everybody knows how they're made. You had to get a degree to be "The Dog in the Manger?"

Maybe don't read a post about hot dogs, or at least don't add your contrarian two bits, if you "do not, never will" eat one.
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

Yaklash wrote:
Alsatian wrote:I have a degree in Agriculture and I do not, will not ever eat a hot dog. Doesn't matter if it's all beef or not. They use every part of the beef. The hotdogs get the Moo.
Everybody knows how they're made. You had to get a degree to be "The Dog in the Manger?"

Maybe don't read a post about hot dogs, or at least don't add your contrarian two bits, if you "do not, never will" eat one.
Sorry I didn't mean to get your panties in a wad.
Fish soup

Post by Fish soup »

That looks fantastic!! Thanks for the recipe. Heading to HEB at lunch to get the fixins for them. Have neighbors coming over tonight and these little gems will be the main attraction.
TexasDaddy

Post by TexasDaddy »

Yaklash, we did "dogs" like this one time at NASCAR, only we deep fried them. They were awesome and you couldn't taste the "moo" either.
big_wes

Post by big_wes »

I read this forum all the time but don't post very often. I always get excited when I see a recipe from Yaklash. There was one for rice with cilantro and jalapeno that I made and it was amazing! This is another one I'll definitely be trying. For those who are worried about the ingredients in hot dogs, just buy Hebrew National. They are kosher and therefore are only allowed to use premium cuts of beef. Thanks Yaklash! :D
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

big_wes wrote:....Hebrew National. They are kosher and therefore are only allowed to use premium cuts of beef. Thanks Yaklash! :D
That's what I always buy - only kind I've ever bought and all my mother ever bought. Dad insisted and dint mind paying the difference in price. But whatever you do, don't get their jumbo franks for this recipe unless you plan on using two pieces of bacon each to wrap them. :D
coy-yak

Post by coy-yak »

my grandfather was a cattle rancher in south texas and also had a butcher shop back in the sixties when I was a kid we never had bologna or hot dogs only beef and burgers, I remember my uncles coming up from the valley bringing us a quarter or side of beef wrapped for the freezer, rarely ate chicken or pork. he used to say hotdogs have all the scraps and lips,ears,noses and an occasional hoof so as kids we never wanted them. but I love a good hotdog now especially Hebrew national they rule
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Well, all of you non-hot-dog-eating naysayers move on.

I had a Sonoran Dog in Austin yesterday, served at Frank Hot Dogs and Beer. Similar to what I've made (per the recipe above), but better, and more fattening. They take the hot dogs, butterfly them open, add some pepper jack cheese, then wrap them in bacon and then.....wait for it......deep fry the dog before proceeding pretty much as per my recipe. OMG!!!!

If loving this is wrong, I dont wanna be right!!
10 Spot

Post by 10 Spot »

Wow, sounds great and especially the newer twist in pork! and I love the banter with "Hot Dog Haters"! Gonna give the grill a fire up tomorrow!
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

I'm pretty sure not liking hot dogs is unamerican. :)
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Milkjug wrote:I'm pretty sure not liking hot dogs is unamerican. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Not sure I'd go that far, but it would cause me to look at 'em sideways a little.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Sounds really good. Nathan's makes a good dog too.
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

No offense, but i wont touch em either. I bet a coon turd tastes good too with enough seasonings and condiments. Moving along,sorry. :lol:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

on a mission wrote:No offense, but i wont touch em either. I bet a coon turd tastes good too with enough seasonings and condiments. Moving along,sorry. :lol:
Another Dog in the Manger :lol: :lol: (laughing because I really don't take this personally, just poking back)
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

This lack of sensitivity on your part to the fact that there are obviously many TKF'ers who DO NOT LIKE HOT DOGS is troubling.

Can you just tone down your ranting and ravings about freaking hot dogs on this thread?
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Oh lord I love hot dogs, and this one looks KILLER.

To all the pansies who go eeewww because they're not 100% filet mignon, I say "what doesn't kill you toughens you up." And some folks could use a little toughening up, if you'll pardon my saying so. :D
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Bump...selfish reasons
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

i freekin hate hot dogs.

unless I'm grillin' some. Thats fun...

otherwise I hate 'em. Ain't good fer nothin...

'cept maybe at a ball game. Thats kinda fun...

But beyond that, they suck...

there was that backyard cookout tho... that was fun...

everytime...

But otherwise, hot dawgs are the devils food.

That reminds me... theres this place in Austin... used to make Reuben Dogs...

OMG they are so good.

most regular dogs are crap tho...

I remember Angie at work... She would bring in a sack of groceries and make hot dogs stuffed with queso and wrapped in a tortilla and fried like a flauta... I'd kill for a couple of those about now...

yep...

hot dogs are dumb...