Rebuild

TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Rebuild

Post by TexaRican »

Well some of you might remember my foam WYE 13-6. That was a nice barge but it didn't fit my current needs so after it did not sell this past summer I decided to repurpose it. What I'm doing now is gonna be like a versa board only incredibly stable due to the ultimate style bottom. Not certain what the final deck configuration will be but you can see where I am now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390158761.282699.jpg
TxTitan

Re: Rebuild

Post by TxTitan »

I like where you are going with this repurpose rebuild!

Maybe you can help steer me in the right direction on a build using foam and fiberglass. I'm fixin to design some amas, akas, outriggers for my yak to use when I have the sail on, rather make my own than buy hobies cheaply made blowup ones.

For foam I was looking at DOW 2" styrofoam, the blue 4x8 sheet from lowes. Would this materiel be buoyant and easy to work with?

Thanks for any input!
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

The blue Dow foam is just fine but I prefer the pink stuff from Home Depot. I just think it cuts and sands/shapes easier. I did learn that with either one, give it a precoat of epoxy before you lay down your glass. I had some delamination issues on this boat when the sun heated the bottom up. Did some experiments with scrap and found that the precoat solved the issue.
TxTitan

Post by TxTitan »

Cool man thanks! I think ill start with a small scaled model to get all the trail and error out of the way!
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

Dang building this time of year sucks. 24 hour wait between epoxy coats.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

fast hardner helps, but yes it still sux.

MM
Woodbender

Post by Woodbender »

Watching this one closely Chris. Definitely need to take both our boats out once they are complete. I want to try yours out.
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

Finally getting back to this project. First coat of white tinted epoxy on the top. Gonna do some sanding touch up and several coats then hit the standing area with a marine non-skid aerosol. [img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/12/2u7ega3y.jpg[/img]
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Rebuild

Post by TexaRican »

Ok. Not pretty but ready for the water tomorrow.
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/22/vu7ubeze.jpg[/img]
Went with plasi-dip on the top figuring I can always peel it off later then sand and go for a fancier finish. Also shot it with a clear non-skid marine epoxy so hopefully I don't slide off. Bottom is traditional graphite/epoxy.
fishsaint78

Post by fishsaint78 »

TexaRican wrote:Ok. Not pretty but ready for the water tomorrow.
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/22/vu7ubeze.jpg[/img]
Went with plasi-dip on the top figuring I can always peel it off later then sand and go for a fancier finish. Also shot it with a clear non-skid marine epoxy so hopefully I don't slide off. Bottom is traditional graphite/epoxy.
What?! Plasti-dip? haven't thought of that.... does it come in large quantity? Did it last at all? Also, with the foam, have you considered/tried Titebond III? I have seen it and fiberglass used with ply boats in lieu of epoxy. Thoughts?